2011 Films Thread

Kyyle23

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ Oct 4, 2011 -> 11:40 AM)
Tons of scratches does not = minute, in my brain.

If what constitutes as "minute" for you is anything that looks like it hasn't had an ax taken to it, then yeah, we have different definitions!

I'm just saying that the scratches aren't deep (usually), but that there are often tons of them. Almost like it was gently swiped with a Brillo pad.

• Replies 2.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Oct 4, 2011 -> 08:33 AM)
Beane didn't bring in most of those guys.

That doesn't mean they werent' on the team. The stadium wouldn't hang banners of only the superstars that Beane brought in and neglect the other ones. Plus, Beane took over in 1998, which means he drafted Zito and Mulder. And Giambi was not a Beane guy either.

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ Oct 4, 2011 -> 10:58 AM)
minute scratches + dvd no working = hardware

Just got my third straight DVD that skips. This one, I couldn't even see a scratch on it. I cleaned it and tried it on all 3 of the DVD players in the house (an old one in my bedroom, my slightly-older-than-one-year-old player in the living room, and my roommates brand new PS3). It skipped on each one of them.

f*** Netflix right in its ass. I am done with it. Blockbuster, here I come.

QUOTE (Milkman delivers @ Oct 4, 2011 -> 11:10 AM)
Perhaps we have different definitions of minute. The scratches won't look like they were made by a knife, but there will be tons of them. I've played plenty of DVDs with minor-looking scratches like that (borrowed ones, not sure how people let that happen) that worked without a problem.

I have only had one Blu-Ray from Blockbuster fail to play for me in 3 years. I really like Blockbuster, although I don't think they are as far ahead with the streaming as Netflix is.

QUOTE (iamshack @ Oct 8, 2011 -> 05:31 PM)
I have only had one Blu-Ray from Blockbuster fail to play for me in 3 years. I really like Blockbuster, although I don't think they are as far ahead with the streaming as Netflix is.

I don't use streaming, so I should be fine. What is the turnaround for Blockbuster, though? If I put a Netflix DVD in the mail Monday night, I'd get my next one on Thursday.

QUOTE (Rowand44 @ Oct 8, 2011 -> 05:39 PM)
Thor or XMen First Class?

Tough call. I loved them both, but most people would probably say X-Men.

QUOTE (Milkman delivers @ Oct 8, 2011 -> 06:05 PM)
I don't use streaming, so I should be fine. What is the turnaround for Blockbuster, though? If I put a Netflix DVD in the mail Monday night, I'd get my next one on Thursday.

well, I'm not in Illinois, but in Vegas, it's fast. I mail it Monday, they get it Tuesday and send another out, usually it is here Wednesday. So 2 to 3 days.

QUOTE (iamshack @ Oct 8, 2011 -> 07:04 PM)
well, I'm not in Illinois, but in Vegas, it's fast. I mail it Monday, they get it Tuesday and send another out, usually it is here Wednesday. So 2 to 3 days.

That's my turn around as well

i dont know if it was mentioned in the blockbuster/netflix discussion, but Blockbuster is sending an email to anyone who tried their online service and also offering to new subscribers the first month free

My daughter just started watching our Lion King DVDs again for some reason. I'm assuming she saw the commercials on TV because they re-released it in theaters in 3D.

So I was checking out IMDB and found this out for the first time today.

The voice actors for the King and Queen in the Lion King were done by these two people:

Coming-to-America-King-Jaffe-Joffer-8.jp

QUOTE (Iwritecode @ Oct 10, 2011 -> 04:05 PM)
My daughter just started watching our Lion King DVDs again for some reason. I'm assuming she saw the commercials on TV because they re-released it in theaters in 3D.

So I was checking out IMDB and found this out for the first time today.

The voice actors for the King and Queen in the Lion King were done by these two people:

Coming-to-America-King-Jaffe-Joffer-8.jp

Well yeah, that's James Earl Jones. No idea who the chick is though.

QUOTE (JoeCoolMan24 @ Oct 10, 2011 -> 03:35 PM)
Well yeah, that's James Earl Jones. No idea who the chick is though.

LOL, I think you are missing the whole "Twice they played the characters of African Royalty" angle that Iwritecode is referring to here.

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Oct 10, 2011 -> 04:51 PM)
LOL, I think you are missing the whole "Twice they played the characters of African Royalty" angle that Iwritecode is referring to here.

Oh, I realized that, but I thought since he put "these two people" that he didn't recognize James Earl Jones.

Is that scene from Coming to America?

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Oct 10, 2011 -> 03:51 PM)

That's exactly what I was trying to get at. Kind of an interesting fact IMO.

I also mentioned to my kids that James Earl Jones was also Darth Vader.

Edited by Iwritecode

QUOTE (JoeCoolMan24 @ Oct 10, 2011 -> 03:55 PM)
Oh, I realized that, but I thought since he put "these two people" that he didn't recognize James Earl Jones.

Is that scene from Coming to America?

yeah, that is Eddie Murphy's parents

QUOTE (iamshack @ Oct 8, 2011 -> 07:04 PM)

I'm not sure why Netflix took that extra day to arrive. There's a mailbox right at the corner of my block, so I'll drop a movie in at night. It's picked up at about 5 in the morning, but doesn't get to Netflix until the next day.

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Oct 9, 2011 -> 12:45 PM)
i dont know if it was mentioned in the blockbuster/netflix discussion, but Blockbuster is sending an email to anyone who tried their online service and also offering to new subscribers the first month free

Oh yeah, I got the first month free. I did the two DVD option, but I'll probably change it to one when they're about to start charging :lol:

Since you can bring Blockbuster movies back yourself and exchange them if you don't feel like waiting for the mail, I'm probably going to watch a ton of stuff (TV shows) over this month. I have a store relatively close to me.

The Rock got paid a lot of money to play the lead role in Faster and probably had about a dozen lines to remember. Good for him. Decent action flick. Kept me entertained.

Also saw Unknown recently. It was alright, kind of hard to follow at times and a unexpected ending.