O Brother Where art Thou

No country for old men

Burn after reading

I have seen some of the rest, but those are my tops

• Replies 2.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Oct 19, 2011 -> 09:12 AM)
My order of favorites after the Big Lebowski is

Hudsucker Proxy

Fargo

Raising Arizona

True Grit

O Brother Where art Thou

No country for old men

Burn after reading

I have seen some of the rest, but those are my tops

I hated Burn After Reading, and I'd have to say that Raising Arizona didn't quite do it for me.

QUOTE (Milkman delivers @ Oct 19, 2011 -> 09:51 AM)
I hated Burn After Reading, and I'd have to say that Raising Arizona didn't quite do it for me.

I agree that Burn after Reading was pretty bad, I would consider that one of their flops.

Raising Arizona I liked, but not as much as the other ones I listed.

I took a film class in college that made me appreciate Raising Arizona a lot more for all of the unique things they did with their camerawork. IIRC, they "invented" like 4 different camera shots that had never been done before. Plus, I love Nic Cages character in that movie, such an idiot.

Brad Pitt and John Malkovich crack me up in Burn after Reading

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Oct 19, 2011 -> 11:34 AM)
I took a film class in college that made me appreciate Raising Arizona a lot more for all of the unique things they did with their camerawork. IIRC, they "invented" like 4 different camera shots that had never been done before. Plus, I love Nic Cages character in that movie, such an idiot.

Brad Pitt and John Malkovich crack me up in Burn after Reading

Pitt was the main reason I hated it.

Been watching some of the classic horror movies. I've started with House on Haunted Hill (Vincent Price is awesome in this one, but the ending is lacking), The Last Man on Earth (later remade into I Am Legend), and Cat People (really good movie).

Saw Fight Club last night for the first time. We never finished the movie, but I was not a fan. It was weird and kind of confusing. I already know the twist ending (dumb girls), which just made it even more weird to watch because if he has two personalities, then how are people interacting with both characters are once? It would have made more sense for the rest of the people in the movie to only acknowledge one person at a time.

Maybe it was just because I was expecting a movie just about people who started a street fighting club and beat ass all movie and not some twist ending movie about a guy w/ split personalities. I dunno, I just wasn't impressed by a movie that people my age cream themselves over.

QUOTE (JoeCoolMan24 @ Oct 20, 2011 -> 02:44 PM)
Saw Fight Club last night for the first time. We never finished the movie, but I was not a fan. It was weird and kind of confusing. I already know the twist ending (dumb girls), which just made it even more weird to watch because if he has two personalities, then how are people interacting with both characters are once? It would have made more sense for the rest of the people in the movie to only acknowledge one person at a time.

Maybe it was just because I was expecting a movie just about people who started a street fighting club and beat ass all movie and not some twist ending movie about a guy w/ split personalities. I dunno, I just wasn't impressed by a movie that people my age cream themselves over.

this post is cOld icE

QUOTE (JoeCoolMan24 @ Oct 20, 2011 -> 02:44 PM)

This post is hilarious.

All I'll say about Fight Club (and this post, for that matter) is that it completely changed how I listen to the song "Where Is My Mind?"

Edited by Felix

Just finished Infernal Affairs. I'm even more disappointed in The Departed now than I was before. Besides Departed adding 50 minutes of useless material, a retardedly convoluted ending, and making the two girls one person for extra "drama", it was an exact remake. That sounds odd looking back over it, but I know others here have seen it and agree.

Edited by Milkman delivers

QUOTE (Milkman delivers @ Oct 20, 2011 -> 12:40 AM)
Qwerty, any suggestions for movies that may have slipped past me that you think I'd enjoy. I liked Moon and The Man From Earth a lot, and I believe you suggested both.

Gimme a genre or two and a time frame to work with. I mean i watch just about anything and everything... there is not a genre or time period i dislike.

I'm talking back to the squaw man and the jazz singer... which was the first talkie starring the world's greatest entertainer al jolson. About the squaw man, it was the first full feature length film filmed in hollywood... first film cecille b demille worked on... and also the first and only time a director/producer worked on three different adaptions of the same movie.

Anyway for the time being, i suggest 3 idiots, my favorite character in any film i have ever seen is done by aamir khan, who plays the lead idiot (or is he?) rancho. I don't want to say much else, other than one other thing. Aamir khan was 44 at the time of release and he convinces you he is that of a mere teen. To portray someone 25 years younger to the point the audience is utterly convinced, it takes a special talent. In my honest opinion, aamir khan is a top 5-10 acting talent in the world. This is not just me saying it for s***s and giggles, as i have seen 12 of his films up to this point.

Bollywood films, when done right, just have a entirely different feel to them, almost magical.

If anything else, they tend to have beautiful women flaunting all over the screen.

QUOTE (Milkman delivers @ Oct 21, 2011 -> 01:35 AM)
Just finished Internal Affairs. I'm even more disappointed in The Departed now than I was before. Besides Departed adding 50 minutes of useless material, a retardedly convoluted ending, and making the two girls one person for extra "drama", it was an exact remake. That sounds odd looking back over it, but I know others here have seen it and agree.

*Infernal

QUOTE (qwerty @ Oct 21, 2011 -> 02:40 AM)
Gimme a genre or two and a time frame to work with. I mean i watch just about anything and everything... there is not a genre or time period i dislike.

I'm talking back to the squaw man and the jazz singer... which was the first talkie starring the world's greatest entertainer al jolson. About the squaw man, it was the first full feature length film filmed in hollywood... first film cecille b demille worked on... and also the first and only time a director/producer worked on three different adaptions of the same movie.

Anyway for the time being, i suggest 3 idiots, my favorite character in any film i have ever seen is done by aamir khan, who plays the lead idiot (or is he?) rancho. I don't want to say much else, other than one other thing. Aamir khan was 44 at the time of release and he convinces you he is that of a mere teen. To portray someone 25 years younger to the point the audience is utterly convinced, it takes a special talent. In my honest opinion, aamir khan is a top 5-10 acting talent in the world. This is not just me saying it for s***s and giggles, as i have seen 12 of his films up to this point.

Bollywood films, when done right, just have a entirely different feel to them, almost magical.

If anything else, they tend to have beautiful women flaunting all over the screen.

I'll add that one. Another one I really enjoyed recent was Trollhunter, and the commom theme between a lot of these movies is a small budget. So how about that? Movies that did a lot with very little.