2011 Films Thread

Kyyle23

• Replies 2.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I only get out to the show 1 or 2 times a year. Totally wasted the semi-annual trip last night on "Paranormal Activity 3" (thanks, Dear). If you think you need to know the backstory, rent the DVD and chapter skip to the end. You can fill in the rest on Wikipedia. A mostly boring-ass movie. The trailer for "Devil Inside" was scarier.

I finally made it through Paranormal Activity 3...god, except for a couple of "jump out of your seat" scenes, the fact they've already made $80 million (with Halloween showings coming up) is pretty amazing, on an initial investment of only $5 million or so.

Must be the most profitable movie franchises in history.

"In Time" seems to be doomed by the critics, poor/convoluted trailers and skepticism about Timberlake ever making it as a lead actor to carry a picture. Amanda Seyfried's zany wig doesn't help matters much.

Saw moneyball today. I thought it was good. Could have shaved 15 minutes off the end, but I thought they did do a good job condensing Beane's backstory and motivation for why he would be willing to look differently at scouting. Though I really wish they would hammer home more that it was about value and not explicitly stats vs. old guard. It waters down the "yeah but the A's suck now!" element...because obviously OBP was not as undervalued as it was then, and he was on a budget.

I stayed up late watching an edited version of The Exorcist last night, with commercials. Even in that format, and after nearly 40 years, it remains a great movie. Its hard to imagine how ground-breaking and mind-blowing it must have been in its time.

Googling during commercials, I was shocked to learn that Max Von Sydow was only 44 when he played the old priest, Fr. Merrin. Amidst all the other make up and special effects, that never even registers.

I saw The Conspirator yesterday. It was pretty good, but I don't recall it getting much push or a wide release. I saw a trailer and thought it looked good, and the next thing I know it's on video.

QUOTE (PlaySumFnJurny @ Oct 31, 2011 -> 09:43 AM)
I stayed up late watching an edited version of The Exorcist last night, with commercials. Even in that format, and after nearly 40 years, it remains a great movie. Its hard to imagine how ground-breaking and mind-blowing it must have been in its time.

Googling during commercials, I was shocked to learn that Max Von Sydow was only 44 when he played the old priest, Fr. Merrin. Amidst all the other make up and special effects, that never even registers.

He's just a guy that's always looked old, apparently. He's around 28 in The Seventh Seal, but he could pass for being in his 40's easily.

I thought The Conspirator was very well done.

Ebert, in his review, compared the Tom Wilkinson role (Sen. Reverdy Johnson of MD) to Obama, thought that was amusing.

Have always liked Robin Wright since her days on Santa Barbara and The Princess Bride...but McAvoy was really the actor who dominates the proceedings.

Called a "smart" movie, I think that largely explains why it never found a wide release. Also never knew her son (John Surratt) was "exonerated" a year later, an 8-to-4 hung jury.

Kevin Kline's Stanton was obviously over the top, but you can understand it due to his close personal friendship with Lincoln which began as a rivalry.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Oct 31, 2011 -> 08:48 PM)
I thought The Conspirator was very well done.

Ebert, in his review, compared the Tom Wilkinson role (Sen. Reverdy Johnson of MD) to Obama, thought that was amusing.

Have always liked Robin Wright since her days on Santa Barbara and The Princess Bride...but McAvoy was really the actor who dominates the proceedings.

Called a "smart" movie, I think that largely explains why it never found a wide release. Also never knew her son (John Surratt) was "exonerated" a year later, an 8-to-4 hung jury.

Kevin Kline's Stanton was obviously over the top, but you can understand it due to his close personal friendship with Lincoln which began as a rivalry.

I was hoping that Wilkinson would have a bigger role, as he's my favorite regularly-working actor.

Has anyone seen/heard of this movie Session 9 from a few years back? I was looking around and some horror movie lists and it popped up as one of the top 5 scariest. I watched a preview of it and was stunned to see that I just stayed the weekend at that insane asylum a couple weeks ago. Apparently it's filmed at the old asylum in Danvers, MA just outside of Boston; it's since been converted into luxury apartments/condos. The movie itself looks super creepy and I think it would be doubly so knowing that I've already walked around the premises.

QUOTE (The Baconator @ Nov 1, 2011 -> 09:28 AM)
Has anyone seen/heard of this movie Session 9 from a few years back? I was looking around and some horror movie lists and it popped up as one of the top 5 scariest. I watched a preview of it and was stunned to see that I just stayed the weekend at that insane asylum a couple weeks ago. Apparently it's filmed at the old asylum in Danvers, MA just outside of Boston; it's since been converted into luxury apartments/condos. The movie itself looks super creepy and I think it would be doubly so knowing that I've already walked around the premises.

I lived there for a year. And yes, it's a good movie.

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Nov 1, 2011 -> 11:23 AM)
Watched inside: Halloween last night and then watched Halloween itself. f*** I love that movie but I also didnt realize they wrapped filming on that movie in 21 days. Daymn.

Yeah I watched that last night. Pretty good special.

QUOTE (Milkman delivers @ Nov 1, 2011 -> 10:20 AM)
I lived there for a year. And yes, it's a good movie.

Get out, you lived in that building for a year? I myself don't believe in anything like ghosts but my friend that lives there does; she's mentioned seeing some things. Any experience with that?

QUOTE (The Baconator @ Nov 1, 2011 -> 10:28 AM)

It's available as a streaming NetFlix movie. I may watch it tonight.

QUOTE (The Baconator @ Nov 1, 2011 -> 03:20 PM)
Get out, you lived in that building for a year? I myself don't believe in anything like ghosts but my friend that lives there does; she's mentioned seeing some things. Any experience with that?

Not at all. Your friend is full of s***. The only thing that was even remotely creepy was the fog that'd envelop the place on occasion. It's on a hill, so that was very Silent Hill-y.

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Nov 1, 2011 -> 11:23 AM)
Watched inside: Halloween last night and then watched Halloween itself. f*** I love that movie but I also didnt realize they wrapped filming on that movie in 21 days. Daymn.

Tried finding a replay to DVR. No such luck.

QUOTE (Milkman delivers @ Nov 1, 2011 -> 03:45 PM)
Not at all. Your friend is full of s***. The only thing that was even remotely creepy was the fog that'd envelop the place on occasion. It's on a hill, so that was very Silent Hill-y.

I was lucky enough to see it a few times in the fog, looks really neat. I had no idea it was even an asylum before, it looked so nice. And then I stumble upon this a couple days ago, shocker. I haven't seen it yet but I'm definitely checking it out this week.

QUOTE (GoSox05 @ Nov 2, 2011 -> 01:19 PM)
Saw The Rum Diary last night. Really liked it.

I'm seeing it this weekend... can't wait. The reviews don't look that good, but they weren't good for Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas either, and that was a fantastic film.

What they really need to do is make Hells Angels into a movie. That was an excellent book.

Edited by Felix