2011 Films Thread

Kyyle23

• Replies 2.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I saw Harold and Kumar in 3D last night. Pretty entertaining, pretty much exactly what i expected - gratuitous nudity, coke, NPH being awesome, ridiculousness. I was concerned they were going to be obnoxious with the 3D schtick throughout the movie but it's only over the top for the first few minutes. I think my favorite joke (that apparently went over the heads of everyone in the theater)

was about how Kumar's fake character backstory at a party was that he supposedly worked at the White House, and he said "nah, no one would believe that"

Overall, it was as-advertised, though I don't think it was worth the $16 for a 3D movie (especially on a Tuesday night).

QUOTE (The Baconator @ Nov 16, 2011 -> 05:27 PM)
I saw Harold and Kumar in 3D last night. Pretty entertaining, pretty much exactly what i expected - gratuitous nudity, coke, NPH being awesome, ridiculousness. I was concerned they were going to be obnoxious with the 3D schtick throughout the movie but it's only over the top for the first few minutes. I think my favorite joke (that apparently went over the heads of everyone in the theater)

was about how Kumar's fake character backstory at a party was that he supposedly worked at the White House, and he said "nah, no one would believe that"

Overall, it was as-advertised, though I don't think it was worth the $16 for a 3D movie (especially on a Tuesday night).

The second one was awful, so I have no plans on seeing this one.

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ Nov 16, 2011 -> 03:47 PM)
So I guess I'm seeing J. Edgar on Saturday night. This is the least excited I've been to see a movie like this ever. It's been really poorly advertised.

There are at least 20 places where the movie could end appropriately, but doesn't, so heads up.

Tower Heist---2.75 stars

Warrior---3 1/2 stars

The Immortals---2 stars (1 for Freida Pinto's beauty/butt but 1/2 subtraction for stunt double)

My Idiot Brother---3 stars

Paranormal Activity 3---1 1/2 stars

Moneyball---3.25 stars (good, but not Sorkin's best work)

Twilight running at 27%, 38 positive reviews and 102 negatives. Looks to be trending right along with the last Twilight, which will make it either the 4th or 5th highest opening weekend of all-time.

Edited by caulfield12

QUOTE (Milkman delivers @ Nov 19, 2011 -> 12:43 PM)
What was that movie someone posted a few months back? It was from Hong Kong or something, about a raid on a den of mobsters.

I'm guessing you're referring to my post that was about 'The Raid' from the Toronto Films Festival?

Edited by The Baconator

QUOTE (The Baconator @ Nov 20, 2011 -> 02:28 AM)
I'm guessing you're referring to my post that was about 'The Raid' from the Toronto Films Festival?

http://asianmediawiki.com/The_Raid_(Indonesia_Movie)

One of the actors looks very familiar....the Asian one who ended up with the super-hot Israeli chick at the end of the most recent Fast&Furious movie??

Doesn't seem it could be him, though, if it's an Indonesian movie set in Jakarta.

Edited by caulfield12

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Nov 20, 2011 -> 08:30 AM)
Horrible bosses>Bridesmaids. Bridesmaids was so overrated. It was like an SNL skit where you had a laugh here and there, followed by long periods of boredom and uncomfortableness.

I disagree. Horrible Bosses felt that way to me.

Also, The Other Guys had more LOL moments than I would have anticipated.

QUOTE (BigSqwert @ Nov 20, 2011 -> 11:05 AM)

I haven't seen Bridesmaids yet, but Horrible Bosses was hilarious from beginning to end to me. I think you might be the first person I've seen that has said otherwise.

QUOTE (Milkman delivers @ Nov 20, 2011 -> 09:25 AM)
I haven't seen Bridesmaids yet, but Horrible Bosses was hilarious from beginning to end to me. I think you might be the first person I've seen that has said otherwise.

My expectations for that movie were way too high. It wasn't awful, just ok.

QUOTE (BigSqwert @ Nov 20, 2011 -> 11:05 AM)

I haven 't seen TOG yet. I laughed a lot more at HB than Bridesmaids. It was just like most SNL movies to me. From the talk I expected a LOT more.

I watched Horrible Bosses on the plane yesterday. I thought it was funny, it definitely had its moments. I did think Bridesmaids was way funnier though. Also watched Bad Teacher yesterday, thought that was pretty hilarious too.

I liked all 3, but probably rank them: Bridesmaids > Bad Teacher > Horrible Bosses

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Nov 20, 2011 -> 10:30 AM)
Horrible bosses>Bridesmaids. Bridesmaids was so overrated. It was like an SNL skit where you had a laugh here and there, followed by long periods of boredom and uncomfortableness.

Agreed. I don't even care if it was a chick flick. I just didn't enjoy it at all.

QUOTE (Milkman delivers @ Nov 20, 2011 -> 03:49 PM)
I watched The Green Lantern last night. Felt like seeing a mindless action movie. It wasn't horrible, but it sure seemed like it was done in fast forward. That probably helped it to be much more bearable.

That is pretty much what I said when I watched it. It wasnt bad, but it was soooo rushed that it ruined anything it had going for it

Bridesmaids was better than Horrible Bosses.

I'm indifferent about ranking Horrible Bosses versus Bad Teacher, could go either way.

As far as the TOG's goes, I had pretty low expectations so it was pleasantly surprising.

Like..."My Idiot Brother," the critical response was pretty tepid and the box office low, so I thought it would suck, even though I usually enjoy Paul Rudd movies. My thoughts on that one are pretty much in alignment with Ebert.

Also agreed with Ebert on The Immortals. It's not coherent or cohesive at all, it's just a big mess that merely LOOKS good. It actually makes Clash of the Titans look like Masterpiece Theatre.