2011 Films Thread

Kyyle23

• Replies 2.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Melancholia's very good, Lars Von Trier's best recent work by far.

While it's not necessarily enjoyable, calling to mind recent movies like Rabbit Hole, Reservation Road, Blue Valentine or even Kirsten Dunst's earlier "All Good Things" with Ryan Gosling, it's definitely worth your time and has some incredible cinematography.

I thought it was a much better film, for example, than The Tree of Life.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Nov 21, 2011 -> 05:59 PM)
Melancholia's very good, Lars Von Trier's best recent work by far.

While it's not necessarily enjoyable, calling to mind recent movies like Rabbit Hole, Reservation Road, Blue Valentine or even Kirsten Dunst's earlier "All Good Things" with Ryan Gosling, it's definitely worth your time and has some incredible cinematography.

Should win an Oscar for best Cinematography.

In a new interview with Empire, Nolan explains that the movie is “all about finishing Batman and Bruce Wayne’s story.” So much so, in fact, that Rises will feature a rather significant time jump: “Perhaps surprisingly for some people, our story picks up quite a bit later, eight years after The Dark Knight. So he’s an older Bruce Wayne; he’s not in a great state.”

So I guess Batman's at least 35, could be pushing 40 depending on how old we think Bruce Wayne was in TDK.

http://popwatch.ew.com/2011/11/21/dark-kni...ses-eight-year/

This should be quite epic and brings a pretty snazzy twist to the next and final Nolan Batman film.

Edited by Steve9347

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ Nov 22, 2011 -> 10:40 AM)
So I guess Batman's at least 35, could be pushing 40 depending on how old we think Bruce Wayne was in TDK.

This should be quite epic and brings a pretty snazzy twist to the next and final Nolan Batman film.

The more I think about this the cooler it becomes. From the teaser we hear Bruce Wayne's voice in a hospital with Gordon. It's very possible that he needs to go through recovery after getting completely f***ed up by Bane (maybe back broken, don't know).

Time must move quicker.

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ Nov 22, 2011 -> 10:40 AM)

he was celebrating his 31st birthday in Batman Begins. TDK was set a few months later.....so Batman is 39/40 in TDKR.

QUOTE (Milkman delivers @ Nov 22, 2011 -> 12:32 PM)
Does anyone still think that Joseph Gordon-Levitt will be anything other than what the official releases claim he'll be?

There are a couple rumors. One is that he is Falcones kid coming home to finish off what his dad started. Another is that he is a cop who is on to Batman. There is also rumor that he is the Black Mask, which could be incorporated into either of the previously mentioned theories

I saw the descendants on Saturday.

I'm going to give you a short little take: Really poorly put together beginning and a strong finish that leads me to say that I rec this movie. I liked it. I liked it even though i'm damn tired of all these hollywood movies about really rich people feeling isolated and having trouble relating to your kids. STOP WRITING WHAT YOU KNOW.

QUOTE (Brian @ Nov 22, 2011 -> 06:11 AM)
Should win an Oscar for best Cinematography.

I didn't realize Kirsten Dunst was so "chesty," I'm still 50/50 on whether she had plastic surgery or not. Really hard to say definitively with her...

The Charlotte Rampling character was so strong...even if her few scenes, but I'll never forget her in SWIMMING POOL...or maybe I'll never forget her younger co-star's presence in that one, not sure which.

QUOTE (bmags @ Nov 22, 2011 -> 03:24 PM)
I saw the descendants on Saturday.

I'm going to give you a short little take: Really poorly put together beginning and a strong finish that leads me to say that I rec this movie. I liked it. I liked it even though i'm damn tired of all these hollywood movies about really rich people feeling isolated and having trouble relating to your kids. STOP WRITING WHAT YOU KNOW.

That's why I liked "The Kids are Alright" so much, it felt like it could actually be a true story, rather than one of those Apatow versions or Bridesmaids, etc.

Edited by caulfield12

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Nov 26, 2011 -> 04:45 PM)
Really liked 50/50, and Seth Rogen was actually fairly tolerable in that movie, albeit as the supporting actor.

Starting to watch Javier Bardem in Biutiful.

Agreed on 50/50.

And I really liked Biutiful even though it was a bit long.

Also, finally got around to watching Brooklyn's Finest. It was better than I expected it to be.

Motel 8 sucked. I was done with the movie in the opening scenes where the guy takes on a freight train in a pick up truck and it doesn't explode into a million pieces and the guy survives with some cuts. Having seen what a passenger train at 55ish mph does to a pick up truck, I could never get past it. Plus the monster looked ripped straight out of Alien.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Nov 27, 2011 -> 01:47 PM)
Motel 8 sucked. I was done with the movie in the opening scenes where the guy takes on a freight train in a pick up truck and it doesn't explode into a million pieces and the guy survives with some cuts. Having seen what a passenger train at 55ish mph does to a pick up truck, I could never get past it. Plus the monster looked ripped straight out of Alien.

Haha, Super 8. The truck thing was something I thought was absurd as well, but I liked the monster and the movie over all.