2011 Films Thread

Kyyle23

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Nov 27, 2011 -> 01:47 PM)
Motel 8 sucked. I was done with the movie in the opening scenes where the guy takes on a freight train in a pick up truck and it doesn't explode into a million pieces and the guy survives with some cuts. Having seen what a passenger train at 55ish mph does to a pick up truck, I could never get past it. Plus the monster looked ripped straight out of Alien.

I don't think it sucked but I was highly disappointed in it. I can see where some people would enjoy it but I had the same feeling towards the guy surviving a head on crash with a train.

• Replies 2.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Brian @ Nov 27, 2011 -> 07:49 PM)
I don't think it sucked but I was highly disappointed in it. I can see where some people would enjoy it but I had the same feeling towards the guy surviving a head on crash with a train.

Yeah, there is literally zero chance he survives that crash. None.

The fourth Twilight (Breaking Dawn, Part 1) is better than the 2nd but worse than the 3rd and clearly worse than the original movie.

Very very slow, and reminiscent of the Lord of the Rings and Harry Potter movies that preceded the more satisfying finales.

I would never pay money to watch in a theatre...found it on the net.

Harold and Kumar Rock!!! That first movie doesn't get enough credit for resuscitating NP Harris' career after the unforgettable Starship Troopers, which has become something of a cult classic in the years since.

Dark Knight Rises prediction: read if you want your mind blown.

Ok, since I saw the first teaser, one thing really stayed with me... the fact that Gordon is in the hospital, and being spoken to by Bruce Wayne (in his voice) who may also be in the hospital.

The name of the film is Dark Knight Rises. This clearly alludes to coming back from something. Bane is in this movie. Christopher Nolan likes realism.

Bane is going to break Batman/Bruce's back to start the film. This will end Bruce's tenure as Batman. However, Joseph Gordon-Levitt is playing a random cop about whom we know absolutely nothing... and that has to be on purpose.

My prediction is that the movie will result in JGL "rising" as a new Batman. I believe Nolan has even stated something like this will be the end of his "Batman Bruce Wayne story"... very careful statement there.

I'm sure I'm way off, but if this winds up true I want someone to remember I typed it up.

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ Nov 28, 2011 -> 03:54 PM)
Dark Knight Rises prediction: read if you want your mind blown.

Ok, since I saw the first teaser, one thing really stayed with me... the fact that Gordon is in the hospital, and being spoken to by Bruce Wayne (in his voice) who may also be in the hospital.

The name of the film is Dark Knight Rises. This clearly alludes to coming back from something. Bane is in this movie. Christopher Nolan likes realism.

Bane is going to break Batman/Bruce's back to start the film. This will end Bruce's tenure as Batman. However, Joseph Gordon-Levitt is playing a random cop about whom we know absolutely nothing... and that has to be on purpose.

My prediction is that the movie will result in JGL "rising" as a new Batman. I believe Nolan has even stated something like this will be the end of his "Batman Bruce Wayne story"... very careful statement there.

I'm sure I'm way off, but if this winds up true I want someone to remember I typed it up.

JGL could be Nolans version of Azrael

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Nov 23, 2011 -> 05:49 AM)
That's why I liked "The Kids are Alright" so much, it felt like it could actually be a true story, rather than one of those Apatow versions or Bridesmaids, etc.

I loved bridesmaids. Bridesmaids was one of the few movies that acknowledged that there are people in the world who aren't so comfortably rich that money has no impact in any moment in their lives. Movie about a journalist? They are a rich columnist with a 2 million dollar condo in manhattan. Movie about a chef? He's a rich chef with a beautiful house and garden. Everybody is a doctor, or wealthy, or millionaire. Any attempts to show poor people are usually "poor people are the salt of the earth with common people knowledge. Money sucks" stories. I related more to kristen wiigs character than any recent one in years.

QUOTE (bmags @ Nov 28, 2011 -> 05:39 PM)
I loved bridesmaids. Bridesmaids was one of the few movies that acknowledged that there are people in the world who aren't so comfortably rich that money has no impact in any moment in their lives. Movie about a journalist? They are a rich columnist with a 2 million dollar condo in manhattan. Movie about a chef? He's a rich chef with a beautiful house and garden. Everybody is a doctor, or wealthy, or millionaire. Any attempts to show poor people are usually "poor people are the salt of the earth with common people knowledge. Money sucks" stories. I related more to kristen wiigs character than any recent one in years.

Agreed, but they still needed the plot device of framing her against Rose Byrne's uber-rich but patently unhappy inside character.

I was trying to think of a movie where the character is in a similar or worse predicament in the beginning, movies like Pretty Woman, for example. Or Shawshank, which is obviously a very different genre of movie.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Nov 29, 2011 -> 01:06 AM)
Agreed, but they still needed the plot device of framing her against Rose Byrne's uber-rich but patently unhappy inside character.

I was trying to think of a movie where the character is in a similar or worse predicament in the beginning, movies like Pretty Woman, for example. Or Shawshank, which is obviously a very different genre of movie.

Blah, in pretty woman they added the bulls*** "oh but it was her first night as a prostitute" line. I think Bridesmaids resonates more because she is "falling behind" her friends and is trying to keep up. Swingers actually hit on being poor and young better than most. It's just ridiculous that I'm struggling to find any movies where the characters are poor and them being poor isn't a stereotype. ...where the heart is? Has it come to this? Even look at the League, those dudes are all comics who struggled for years, and first shot they get they create themselves all as uber succesful. Being poor sucks, but it's also where a lot of comedians inspiration comes from. Yet it's not represented in cinema often.

QUOTE (bmags @ Nov 28, 2011 -> 07:38 PM)
Blah, in pretty woman they added the bulls*** "oh but it was her first night as a prostitute" line. I think Bridesmaids resonates more because she is "falling behind" her friends and is trying to keep up. Swingers actually hit on being poor and young better than most. It's just ridiculous that I'm struggling to find any movies where the characters are poor and them being poor isn't a stereotype. ...where the heart is? Has it come to this? Even look at the League, those dudes are all comics who struggled for years, and first shot they get they create themselves all as uber succesful. Being poor sucks, but it's also where a lot of comedians inspiration comes from. Yet it's not represented in cinema often.

Julia plays Vivian Ward in Pretty Woman. Vivian's time with Edward was not her first but it was her first time to kiss a client.

I've watched that movie maybe 3 times, and I don't remember the line about it being her first time working as a prostitute. I agree, they do try to explain/rationalize her working as a prostitute to take the rough edges off her character as much as possible for a movie of that time period (I think it was 1990).

It's not like Hesher or Greenberg in being a ruthless "dark" character, or Will Ferrell in "Everything Must Go."

QUOTE (bmags @ Nov 28, 2011 -> 06:38 PM)

Actually you do see plenty of movies focusing on poor people - but they are EXTREMELY poor, like in some form of dystopia, or they came crashing down from some great height, or it is in some 3rd world country. You are right though that you don't see a lot of American films focusing on poor Americans.

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Nov 29, 2011 -> 03:11 PM)
Actually you do see plenty of movies focusing on poor people - but they are EXTREMELY poor, like in some form of dystopia, or they came crashing down from some great height, or it is in some 3rd world country. You are right though that you don't see a lot of American films focusing on poor Americans.

Right. I'm talking everyday poor that also isn't a focus on the nobility of being poor in that condescending way.

Winter's Bone?

Right. I'm talking everyday poor that also isn't a focus on the nobility of being poor in that condescending way.

Even with that, her character obviously had an education and knack for creativity (the bakery)...that would clearly separate her from the chronically poor/underemployed, like former GM/Ford/Chrysler assembly line workers in Michigan whose jobs have all been outsourced over the last 20 years.

Pursuit of HappYness would also be close to this idea of portraying a poor but hard-working family fairly realistically...although obviously it has the Hollywood-ized happy ending.

Edited by caulfield12

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Nov 30, 2011 -> 02:12 AM)
Winter's Bone?

Even with that, her character obviously had an education and knack for creativity (the bakery)...that would clearly separate her from the chronically poor/underemployed, like former GM/Ford/Chrysler assembly line workers in Michigan whose jobs have all been outsourced over the last 20 years.

Pursuit of HappYness would also be close to this idea of portraying a poor but hard-working family fairly realistically...although obviously it has the Hollywood-ized happy ending.

Winter's Bone, nice choice.

QUOTE (justBLAZE @ Nov 30, 2011 -> 05:08 PM)
Warrior anyone?

Already hearing: Best fighting movie ever, etc.

Saw it in the theatre. It is tremendous and encourage anyone and everyone to see it ASAP.

Edited by Brian

Does anyone want to make the case that Edgerton/Hardy are better in Warrior than Bale/Wahlberg in The Fighter?

Warrior seems a little bit more like a promotional vehicle for MMA...

In that sense, I would say it's clearly better than Real Steel (similar genre), but still not the overall quality of acting across Fighter with Amy Adams and Melissa Leo.

Nolte was solid, though.

And I always like the guy who plays the school principal in Warrior...I think the first time I remember seeing him was in the movie DAVE.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Nov 30, 2011 -> 07:51 PM)
Does anyone want to make the case that Edgerton/Hardy are better in Warrior than Bale/Wahlberg in The Fighter?

Warrior seems a little bit more like a promotional vehicle for MMA...

In that sense, I would say it's clearly better than Real Steel (similar genre), but still not the overall quality of acting across Fighter with Amy Adams and Melissa Leo.

Nolte was solid, though.

And I always like the guy who plays the school principal in Warrior...I think the first time I remember seeing him was in the movie DAVE.

Ha, I knew who you were talking about before even checking to see who the principal was.

Looks pretty decent, but it kind of goes against the fact that was discussed here a while back that wolves really don't kill humans. So, I have to imagine that wolves hunting an entire group of people is kind of out there. Either way I have to ask again, when exactly did Liam Neeson become an action star.