2011 Video Game Catch-All Thread

Kyyle23

QUOTE (JoeCoolMan24 @ Mar 24, 2011 -> 10:10 AM)
I liked it a lot. I think I still like San Andreas the best though.

I did too. I especially like the taxi cabs that will take you anywhere you want to go. Saves tons of driving time.

Currently I'm finishing up The Ballad of Gay Tony and plan on playing The Lost and Damned next. It's interesting to re-play some of the missions from the original GTA IV from a different perspective.

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Iwritecode @ Mar 24, 2011 -> 12:16 PM)
I did too. I especially like the taxi cabs that will take you anywhere you want to go. Saves tons of driving time.

Currently I'm finishing up The Ballad of Gay Tony and plan on playing The Lost and Damned next. It's interesting to re-play some of the missions from the original GTA IV from a different perspective.

For me, the bicycles in San Andreas were really fun. I loved cruising at like 30 MPH and bunny hopping over cars.

QUOTE (DBAHO @ Mar 18, 2011 -> 09:29 PM)
Dragon Age 2 was a bit of a dissapointment really.

The graphics have definitely improved for the original which is a plus, but the negatives are;

1 - The story. There's no main villian, and no direction really, definitely not on par with the 1st one.

2 - The area. You are pretty much in Kirkwall for the most part. That gets old pretty quickly.

3 - The supporting characters just aren't as good as the original.

4 - It's too console friendly now. For a PC player, you can't pause and zoom in and out on the battlefield as you could the original.

It's still a good game, but it could have been better.

The game just felt rushed to me. The gameplay and graphics were big improvements but I agree with all your criticisms, particularly about the supporting characters and the story. There was no depth to any of the supporting characters and it never felt like anything was at stake when your character was making decisions.

QUOTE (lostfan @ Mar 24, 2011 -> 07:17 AM)
So I gave Grand Theft Auto 4 another go since I just got bored with it getting it at midnight on launch day and everything. But its the same... the game just isn't that fun.

I played about half way through and then had no motivation to finish. Every mission was one of three possible choices.

I thought they did a much better job with RDR.

QUOTE (StrangeSox @ Mar 24, 2011 -> 01:12 PM)
I played about half way through and then had no motivation to finish. Every mission was one of three possible choices.

I thought they did a much better job with RDR.

Funny, that was how I felt about RDR. While it was more original and had a great atmosphere, like 60% of the missions were of the "kill all of the bad guys in this hideout" variety, another 20% were "get from point A to point B running from the bad guys" variety, a couple of protect/rob this train missions (those were my favorite) and the rest were rather mundane ranching/tutorial type missions.

Sure, GTA has most of the same mechanics, but I felt like they mixed it up better. Instead of everything being "walk into this area and kill everyone," you might have to chase a guy to get to the main conflict, or maybe you have to escape from the bad guys/cops after it's over. It helped break up the cover, shoot, move forward, repeat pattern a bit more.

QUOTE (ZoomSlowik @ Mar 24, 2011 -> 03:58 PM)
Funny, that was how I felt about RDR. While it was more original and had a great atmosphere, like 60% of the missions were of the "kill all of the bad guys in this hideout" variety, another 20% were "get from point A to point B running from the bad guys" variety, a couple of protect/rob this train missions (those were my favorite) and the rest were rather mundane ranching/tutorial type missions.

Sure, GTA has most of the same mechanics, but I felt like they mixed it up better. Instead of everything being "walk into this area and kill everyone," you might have to chase a guy to get to the main conflict, or maybe you have to escape from the bad guys/cops after it's over. It helped break up the cover, shoot, move forward, repeat pattern a bit more.

I'm the same Zoom. I'm glad I'm not the only one who felt rather bored by Red Dead Redemption. Honestly, I didn't make it past the beginning tutorial missions.

I prefer GTA much much more. I can't wait until LA Noire though. I've been waiting for like 3 years.

QUOTE (nitetrain8601 @ Mar 24, 2011 -> 06:35 PM)
I'm the same Zoom. I'm glad I'm not the only one who felt rather bored by Red Dead Redemption. Honestly, I didn't make it past the beginning tutorial missions.

I prefer GTA much much more. I can't wait until LA Noire though. I've been waiting for like 3 years.

I think the pacing definitely turned off some people. It started and closed with some pretty slow/relatively uninteresting gameplay. I can see how some people might not have gotten past the first hour or two.

However, the middle portion was pretty solid, even if it could have used some more variety. Maybe have some more outlaw-leaning missions like bank robberies, jail breaks, battles over land claims, stealing horses from military outposts, finding/stealing gold, ect., though I realize that didn't really fit the main character. I'd also have liked to see some more variety in the bounty hunter missions; maybe a few where they set up ambushes, or traps, or have a machine gun, or maybe make it so you have to find and interrogate an associate so you can catch them committing a robbery or something.

I put in like 25 hours on Red Dead and the Undead Nightmare expansion is pretty awesome. I just prefer GTA.

Edited by ZoomSlowik

QUOTE (nitetrain8601 @ Mar 25, 2011 -> 10:37 AM)
BTW, TBoGT was great if you loved San Andreas. Vice City was my favorite, with SA being second. This was third, but was done extremely well. Only thing is, you could only spend your cash on very limited things, which stunk.

The first misson in TBOGT when you have the Mafia guy strapped to a golf cart and you're lobbing pitching wedge shots at him is pretty hilarious. I actually probably enjoyed that add - on to GTAIV itself, because of the humor, but it still had that realism.

I don't know what it is. Maybe its from playing Assassins Creed games with the checkpoint system not making you have to do the entire mission over again when you die. I was just bored and not into it at all.

Rockstar games all suffer from the exact same problem - half way or three quarters of the way through it you just don't care to finish it. It's a grind to complete the game, which sucks because the first 10 or so hours of playing it can be really fun. Mexico was a huge drag in RDR. Take that out and it's the game of the year in 2010. Unfortunately it was brutal. I literally put the game down for about 4 months because I was so bored with it. I'm glad I stuck with it and got to see the ending, but damn it was rough.

I really hope with LA Noire they fix that because I can't wait to play it.

I've never had that problem with their games. At least with the story-related missions.

The only thing that really drags on for me are the side-missions that I'm always compelled to complete so I can get the illusive 100% completion. GTA IV was especially bad with the 200 "flying rats" you had to find and kill.

With RDR I purposely went through the game slowly. I'd do a mission or two, then go hunting for some animals, then do a side-quest, then I might play some poker, then just ride around to see what I could do. It seemed to break it up a little better that way and I never got bored with it.

QUOTE (Jenksismyb**** @ Mar 25, 2011 -> 09:29 AM)
Mexico was a huge drag in RDR. Take that out and it's the game of the year in 2010. Unfortunately it was brutal. I literally put the game down for about 4 months because I was so bored with it. I'm glad I stuck with it and got to see the ending, but damn it was rough.

Funny you post that. I got to Mexico just loving the game, but haven't picked it up since the first hour or so of Mexico. I keep saying I'll finish it, but who knows.

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ Mar 25, 2011 -> 11:04 AM)
Funny you post that. I got to Mexico just loving the game, but haven't picked it up since the first hour or so of Mexico. I keep saying I'll finish it, but who knows.

I enjoyed the game throughout, and never really had a problem finishing it. I can't wait to get back and finish up the zombie extension pack, I was having a blast with that but just ran out of time before I left.

QUOTE (bigruss22 @ Mar 28, 2011 -> 08:10 AM)
I enjoyed the game throughout, and never really had a problem finishing it. I can't wait to get back and finish up the zombie extension pack, I was having a blast with that but just ran out of time before I left.

The Blunderbuss and Death (the horse) make RDR: Undead Nightmare really fun. I fell off my chair laughing the first time I shot a zombie with the blunderbuss and he disintegrated. Riding through Jorge’s Gap on Death and seeing all the exploding heads is quite funny too.

Shooting zombies with the cannon at one of the forts in Mexico (can’t remember which one) is a great way to pass the time as well. Watching them flying through the air is awesome.

QUOTE (Iwritecode @ Mar 28, 2011 -> 11:05 AM)
The Blunderbuss and Death (the horse) make RDR: Undead Nightmare really fun. I fell off my chair laughing the first time I shot a zombie with the blunderbuss and he disintegrated. Riding through Jorge’s Gap on Death and seeing all the exploding heads is quite funny too.

Shooting zombies with the cannon at one of the forts in Mexico (can’t remember which one) is a great way to pass the time as well. Watching them flying through the air is awesome.

Riding through Jorge's Gap on War is fun as hell with a torch.

Also, just picked up Mass Effect 2.

Realized I made my Commander Shepard look like Nathan Drake.

Edited by Quinarvy

Just like others said on this thread. I'm got bored in the Mexico missions of RDR and stopped, one of these days ill pick it up and finish it. I always have a lengthy pause in rockstar games though. I stopped midway through GTA IV and didnt finish it for 6 months.

QUOTE (lostfan @ Mar 29, 2011 -> 10:49 PM)
Mass Effect 2 Arrival DLC comes out today. Downloaded it before work so it's waiting for me when I get home.

Bring on Mass Effect 3.

I think I read you play as Shephard by himself in this DLC, no companions to help out.

Interesting if true.

Hoping for a nice cliffhanger at the end of it.

QUOTE (DBAHO @ Mar 29, 2011 -> 08:05 AM)
I think I read you play as Shephard by himself in this DLC, no companions to help out.

Interesting if true.

Hoping for a nice cliffhanger at the end of it.

Yeah, the mission is just Shepard. Definitely a cliffhanger although it's just left on where we already knew the plot was going for ME3 (the Reapers are coming). It just kind of puts it into context. There's going to be big political problems, that's the most I can say without giving spoilers.

WWE all stars is just good fun. If you liked the N64 wrestling games (wrestlemania 2000, no mercy) this is right up your alley. I haven't watched wrestling in at least 10 years and am having a blast with it.

The first stone cold stunner I pulled off was one of the most satisfying moments in recent memory.

QUOTE (SnB @ Mar 30, 2011 -> 08:18 AM)
WWE all stars is just good fun. If you liked the N64 wrestling games (wrestlemania 2000, no mercy) this is right up your alley. I haven't watched wrestling in at least 10 years and am having a blast with it.

The first stone cold stunner I pulled off was one of the most satisfying moments in recent memory.

Going out and getting that for sure, that and the new Tiger.

QUOTE (SnB @ Mar 30, 2011 -> 08:18 AM)

i bought this game based on your recommendation and i have to say it really is a ton of fun. My fear was that it would be too "arcadey" and childish, but the control scheme is fairly complex and tough to master which i absolutely love, and the cast is also fantastic, im loving every bit of this game so far.