2011 Video Game Catch-All Thread

Kyyle23

QUOTE (flippedoutpunk @ Apr 26, 2011 -> 12:52 PM)
We argue more here than balta and the rest of the politicians in The Filibuster...

Balta does more arguing with himself in the 'Buster than there are posts in this thread!

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Jenksismyb**** @ Apr 26, 2011 -> 12:34 PM)
I have both systems, and prefer the ps3 95% of the time, but one of the biggest advantages of the 360 is the party mode/multiplayer system. It's not even a close race. How Sony has gone 5+ years without addressing their voice chat system is a move I'll never understand.

What sucks about this hack is that my wife and I have been unable to watch most of our television shows. We swore off cable and rely on the PSN to purchase the shows we want to watch. Not being able to do that for nearly a week has been pretty difficult.

not just the biggest, THE biggest and only important advantage..

I use the system for gaming more than prolly all of you combined from what I can gather here.. and playing with my friends/family members online and being able to be in that party and not deal with assholes is huge.. If I only played some games, wasnt huge into multiplayer, and just wanted to watch movies and shows I would prolly have a PS3 instead..

QUOTE (T R U @ Apr 26, 2011 -> 01:17 PM)
not just the biggest, THE biggest and only important advantage..

I use the system for gaming more than prolly all of you combined from what I can gather here.. and playing with my friends/family members online and being able to be in that party and not deal with assholes is huge.. If I only played some games, wasnt huge into multiplayer, and just wanted to watch movies and shows I would prolly have a PS3 instead..

youre insane.. if it wasnt for having a gf and school and life didnt require currency in order to live, i would have an IV going from my arm into my xbox AND ps3's usb ports and i would control my video games 24-7

You rage you lose

http://blog.us.playstation.com/2011/04/26/...k-and-qriocity/

"If you have provided your credit card data through PlayStation Network or Qriocity, out of an abundance of caution we are advising you that your credit card number (excluding security code) and expiration date may have been obtained."

QUOTE (flippedoutpunk @ Apr 26, 2011 -> 03:31 PM)
You rage you lose

http://blog.us.playstation.com/2011/04/26/...k-and-qriocity/

"If you have provided your credit card data through PlayStation Network or Qriocity, out of an abundance of caution we are advising you that your credit card number (excluding security code) and expiration date may have been obtained."

FANTASTIC

Although we are still investigating the details of this incident, we believe that an unauthorized person has obtained the following information that you provided: name, address (city, state, zip), country, email address, birthdate, PlayStation Network/Qriocity password and login, and handle/PSN online ID. It is also possible that your profile data, including purchase history and billing address (city, state, zip), and your PlayStation Network/Qriocity password security answers may have been obtained. If you have authorized a sub-account for your dependent, the same data with respect to your dependent may have been obtained. While there is no evidence at this time that credit card data was taken, we cannot rule out the possibility. If you have provided your credit card data through PlayStation Network or Qriocity, out of an abundance of caution we are advising you that your credit card number (excluding security code) and expiration date may have been obtained.

This just might be a big problem for me and my PSN brethren. How timely. I think I'd rather have to pay $50/year than have my identity stolen, Tru. You are the victory.

Sony better hope that things aren't super terrible, but you don't normally send out these types of warnings unless it's about as bad as can be. Hello, law suit.

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ Apr 26, 2011 -> 03:41 PM)
This just might be a big problem for me and my PSN brethren. How timely. I think I'd rather have to pay $50/year than have my identity stolen, Tru. You are the victory.

Sony better hope that things aren't super terrible, but you don't normally send out these types of warnings unless it's about as bad as can be. Hello, law suit.

yes this definitely sucks.. i used my credit card to buy Playstation Plus, so i guess ill have to keep an eye on my bank statements. This is really PSN me off!! (See what i did thar?)

QUOTE (flippedoutpunk @ Apr 26, 2011 -> 04:01 PM)
yes this definitely sucks.. i used my credit card to buy Playstation Plus, so i guess ill have to keep an eye on my bank statements. This is really PSN me off!! (See what i did thar?)

Damn the drunken purchases of MLB.tv, Sonic 4, and X-Men Arcade!

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Apr 26, 2011 -> 04:55 PM)
I think some of you guys know i work at a major bank in credit card fraud. this PSN thing is old news

oooh! i have a question you could probably answer.. Seeing as how hackers easily hacked the entire playstation network and potentially have thousands of peoples information now.. How is it that hackers cannot hack their way into a bank and lets say, erase all of someones debt or something to that extent? Could the network security measures that the banks use be used on something like the playstation network in the future?

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ Apr 26, 2011 -> 12:53 PM)
The PS3 has evolved continually since launch. The original concept may be 5 years old, the PS3 Slim + all software that is updated consistently is still state of the art.

I mean the hardware. The 360 has evolved pretty far since 2005 too, but 5-year old hardware can only be so "state of the art" compared to something that came out last week.

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ Apr 26, 2011 -> 04:41 PM)

This is a Titanic-level disaster, there's no downplaying it and Sony's not even going to try.

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ Apr 26, 2011 -> 11:53 AM)
The PS3 has evolved continually since launch. The original concept may be 5 years old, the PS3 Slim + all software that is updated consistently is still state of the art.

5 year old technology will never be state of the art in the computer industry (yes, consoles are technically computers). They have made mods to the hardware of both systems, but at the core, they're still primitive in comparison to a PC that is equipped with the latest video card and processor. Moore's law says that the number of transistor on a chip can double every two years. In that time, the average transistor size on the average processor has gone from 90 nm to 45 nm. The state of the art processors today have shrunk down to 32nm and 16nm is not too far in the future.

I seriously have a hard time playing some of the PS3 ports on my monitor. It just doesn't compare with how crisp the games look on PC. Battlefield 3 will be the one of the first games to truly emphasize just how powerful the PC is compared to the consoles at this point. Microsoft and Sony need to seriously think about new consoles and fast. Money is one thing they can drain out of the current gen, but if developers are going to be held back by old technology, it's going to give more of the market share to the PC.

Edited by chw42

QUOTE (chw42 @ Apr 26, 2011 -> 11:47 PM)
5 year old technology will never be state of the art in the computer industry (yes, consoles are technically computers). They have made mods to the hardware of both systems, but at the core, they're still primitive in comparison to a PC that is equipped with the latest video card and processor. Moore's law says that the number of transistor on a chip can double every two years. In that time, the average transistor size on the average processor has gone from 90 nm to 45 nm. The state of the art processors today have shrunk down to 32nm and 16nm is not too far in the future.

I seriously have a hard time playing some of the PS3 ports on my monitor. It just doesn't compare with how crisp the games look on PC. Battlefield 3 will be the one of the first games to truly emphasize just how powerful the PC is compared to the consoles at this point. Microsoft and Sony need to seriously think about new consoles and fast. Money is one thing they can drain out of the current gen, but if developers are going to be held back by old technology, it's going to give more of the market share to the PC.

^^^This.

Not a knock on the PS3 at all. I have a 360, but I'm not one of those. But it's just a fact. Yeah, the games look pretty, but not AS pretty as if they were running on true state-of-the-art hardware from, say, 2010. Neither console can really compare to what a PC can do.

Edited by lostfan

From another board (citation unavailable):

A well known hacker i don’t want to reveal here had all the Sony PlayStation Network functions 100% decrypted as well as providing some nice info about how Sony dealing with PSN members privacy in their online servers.

Apparently, Sony server gathered everything they can from the PSN connected PS3 console. When i said everything, i meant it. Here, i make all the list of what they squeezed from the IRC chat logs conversation between the hackers.

*Sony monitors all messages over PSN.

*All connected devices return values sent to Sony server returns TV, Firmware version, Firmware type, Console model

*They also collects data in your USB attached device.

*Credit card sent as plain text, example: creditCard.paymentMethodId=VISA&creditCard.holderN ame=Max&creditCard.cardNumber=4558254723658741&cre ditCard.expireYear=2012&creditCard.expireMonth=2&c reditCard.securityCode=214&creditCard.address.addr ess1=example street%2024%20&creditCard.address.city=city1%20&cr editCard.address.province=abc%20&creditCard.addres s.postalCode=12345%20

*The best part of all, the list is stored online and updated when u login PSN and random.

But, that’s not all, with the PSN functions fully decrypted, this hacker can use the function to get all games, DLC, you name it, from PSN store without paying anything.

Wow, i am just speechless! We can really sue Sony for monitoring ALL data including our credit card info providing that we are connected to PSN, of course. Man, that is really big fail, as well as the PSN fail oh and the PS3 fail. Everything just FAIL, Sony!

You can read the IRC chat logs at the link below. We censored the names just to be safe

QUOTE (flippedoutpunk @ Apr 27, 2011 -> 12:24 AM)
You know, as much as id hate to disappoint T R U, i hate to see this happen to Sony... I was about to start a new Demons Souls character after this disaster of a semester that ive had.. hopefully they get everything together....

Sony needs to learn not to mess with hackers. They're like a brotherhood. You mess with one, all the other ones get pissed at you.