2011 Video Game Catch-All Thread

Kyyle23

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (nitetrain8601 @ Jan 25, 2011 -> 05:43 PM)
Anyone else try Custom Firmware on their own PS3? Tried it for the simple fact that I can now backup my games.

backup your game as in, put the entire game on your ps3 hard drive and play? or burn the game to a disc and play the burnt copy on the ps3?

Edit: Nevermind, got my answer... *downloads firmware and backup manager then runs to blockbuster*

Edited by flippedoutpunk

QUOTE (flippedoutpunk @ Jan 25, 2011 -> 07:19 PM)
backup your game as in, put the entire game on your ps3 hard drive and play? or burn the game to a disc and play the burnt copy on the ps3?

Edit: Nevermind, got my answer... *downloads firmware and backup manager then runs to blockbuster*

Lol yes. And RedBox and Blockbuster stands are like $2. Best part is the SNES and Genesis Emulators.

QUOTE (nitetrain8601 @ Jan 26, 2011 -> 06:04 PM)
Lol yes. And RedBox and Blockbuster stands are like $2. Best part is the SNES and Genesis Emulators.

Why pay the middle man when you can just get it for free? ;)

I have a huge backlog of games right now. No incentive for me to really download games at the moment. Plus, I'd need to go get a nice external HDD.

QUOTE (JoeCoolMan24 @ Jan 26, 2011 -> 09:11 PM)
and is it safe/easy to use?

its safe to use right now id imagine, im using it with no problems and enjoying the heck out of it.. now whether or not sony will later be able to ban custom firmware users from PSN is a topic i dont know anything about yet, im having way too much fun to find out. i went to the tiger direct store in chicago and bought a 500 GB hard drive and installed it in my ps3 so now i can backup all the games my evil pirate heart desires :lol:

Sony just released the 3.56 update. It currently disables homebrew.

I had made my CFW file and then read about it. Then I just deleted the CFW file and decided to save the $70 i was going to use on a 1 TB external HDD.

I'll wait until they have 3.56 figured out I guess.

Edited by chw42

QUOTE (chw42 @ Jan 26, 2011 -> 10:01 PM)
Sony just released the 3.56 update. It currently disables homebrew.

I had made my CFW file and then read about it. Then I just deleted the CFW file and decided to save the $70 i was going to use on a 1 TB external HDD.

I'll wait until they have 3.56 figured out I guess.

oh jeez this is just like the iphone 4, wait a couple weeks for the new jailbreak to come out and dont update.. thankfully im playing deadspace 2 and dont need to sign on to the PSN for multiplayer at the moment..

QUOTE (flippedoutpunk @ Jan 26, 2011 -> 10:11 PM)
oh jeez this is just like the iphone 4, wait a couple weeks for the new jailbreak to come out and dont update.. thankfully im playing deadspace 2 and dont need to sign on to the PSN for multiplayer at the moment..

My plan for this was to not buy the single player games, but buy the games I really like (like The Show or Madden) or were online-heavy. I hope they'll have 3.56 figured out sometime soon. It shouldn't be too hard. The hack itself is hardware oriented.

Edited by chw42

QUOTE (chw42 @ Jan 26, 2011 -> 10:17 PM)
My plan for this was to not buy the single player games, but buy the games I really like (like The Show or Madden) or were online-heavy. I hope they'll have 3.56 figured out sometime soon. It shouldn't be too hard. The hack itself is hardware oriented.

yeah man the guys that release these hacks are geniuses, specifically geohot who also hacks the iphone 4, he usually has the new jailbreaks out in a very timely manner.. whenever a new update is released its usually nothing more than a minor nuisance.

QUOTE (flippedoutpunk @ Jan 26, 2011 -> 10:28 PM)
yeah man the guys that release these hacks are geniuses, specifically geohot who also hacks the iphone 4, he usually has the new jailbreaks out in a very timely manner.. whenever a new update is released its usually nothing more than a minor nuisance.

Well, the origin of this hack wasn't exactly Geohot's doing. But that dude hacked the PS3 with an oscilloscope earlier in the year. I can't even fathom how that's possible.

QUOTE (JoeCoolMan24 @ Jan 27, 2011 -> 12:45 AM)
It's not hard to prevent Sony from banning me? How so? All I have to do is log on PSN, and they would match it and then ban my account, right?

There's applications for that kind of thing already. Might not be 100% effective, but there will be one one day. Sony was unable to do anything about PSP homebrew for a long, long time. Hell, they still haven't really affected it.

BTW, Sony just unveiled the new PSP2. 5 inch OLED screen. Two analog sticks. Touch screen on the back and front as well as cameras. It's gonna be awesome.

http://kotaku.com/5744558/a-closer-look-at...-ngp//gallery/1

Edited by chw42

QUOTE (JoeCoolMan24 @ Jan 26, 2011 -> 11:36 PM)
I'm too worried about being banned to hack my system.

I'm too busy to worry about hacking a fantastic multimedia system to play a few s***ty games. The ones worth playing can be purchased.

I don't see the point of buying a PSP until they allow you to purchase the PS3 version of a game, and it comes with the UMD or whatever the PSP disc is called. I don't see the point of buying a game twice, or ever buying a game for the PSP that is also on the PS3.

Or even if they charged an extra $10 to get the PSP version as well, I'd be more likely to actually get one.

QUOTE (JoeCoolMan24 @ Jan 27, 2011 -> 02:25 PM)
I don't see the point of buying a PSP until they allow you to purchase the PS3 version of a game, and it comes with the UMD or whatever the PSP disc is called. I don't see the point of buying a game twice, or ever buying a game for the PSP that is also on the PS3.

Or even if they charged an extra $10 to get the PSP version as well, I'd be more likely to actually get one.

The point is that you don't have to haul your entire PS3 with you to play PS3 quality games.