Wright Has Run Out Of Chances

WookieOnRitalin

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I think he has used up every chance that the White Sox have given them...

This is truely the last straw with him...

You are telling me Neal Cotts isn't a realistic option now?

It may be too early, but at this point, Neal Cotts can do no worse than anyone else in that 5th spot in the rotation...

I agree that Wright won't help us as a starter this year. He could perhaps be used in the pen. I say give Cotts a chance...

I've been on the Cotts bandwagon for a month. But it may be better to have worked out this way.

With 14 wins last year, Wright wasn't a terrible choice, and if Manuel had gotten him after 5, he would have done as well or better than Porzio did in his games. This way it is clear he just doesn't have it and needs the offseason to see if can put it together. Trying a Rocky Biddle conversion with him might be the best thing.

Plus, the next start for the 5 hole is August 12th at Anaheim. Cotts is right on schedule for that, so we'll get even another game to see him. But it also allows the Sox a chance to get ahead of KC and take some of the pressure off.

Didn't Danny pitch pretty well until the 6th?

Would you guys not have been happy if his final line was 5 IP 5 H 3 R 2 ER 1 BB 3 K??

Unfortnately, he ran into trouble in the 6th, but until then, I thought he pitched pretty well.

I thought I remember most people on this board wanting to get 4-5 innings out of him?

Didn't Danny pitch pretty well until the 6th?

Would you guys not have been happy if his final line was 5 IP  5 H 3 R 2 ER 1 BB 3 K??

Unfortnately, he ran into trouble in the 6th, but until then, I thought he pitched pretty well.

That's the thing Hudler. Wright does this all the time. He'll be pitching well for 3 or 4 innings and then just get rocked. He has to break that habit if he ever wants to become the dominant pitcher we all think he can be...

I'd love to see Danny tried as a closer.  I think he could be a damn good one. :headbang

Depending on what happens this offseason, is what will happen. If they have a full rotation, you'll see him as one of the setup man and eventually move to the closers slot (Maybe when Koch leaves).

I've been on the Cotts bandwagon for a month.  But it may be better to have worked out this way. 

With 14 wins last year, Wright wasn't a terrible choice, and if Manuel had gotten him after 5, he would have done as well or better than Porzio did in his games.  This way it is clear he just doesn't have it and needs the offseason to see if can put it together.  Trying a Rocky Biddle conversion with him might be the best thing. 

Plus, the next start for the 5 hole is August 12th at Anaheim.  Cotts is right on schedule for that, so we'll get even another game to see him.  But it also allows the Sox a chance to get ahead of KC and take some of the pressure off.

Nice...get Cotts up there so I can see his debut :headbang

I just hope Cotts doesn't buckle under the immense pressure he will be under if we do bring him up... :huh:

Why would he be under tremendous pressure. If he gets rocked, it is a learning experience and is chalked up to him not being ready. If he pitches well, he is the hero.

Very little pressure as I see it.

Why would he be under tremendous pressure.  If he gets rocked, it is a learning experience and is chalked up to him not being ready.  If he pitches well, he is the hero.

LOL...Well we've totally destroyed Porzio and Wright for not getting the job done....Why wouldn't there be any pressure on Cotts? We're trying to win a division last time I checked...

Why would he be under tremendous pressure.  If he gets rocked, it is a learning experience and is chalked up to him not being ready.  If he pitches well, he is the hero.

LOL...Well we've totally destroyed Porzio and Wright for not getting the job done....Why wouldn't there be any pressure on Cotts? We're trying to win a division last time I checked...

Because Cotts, Porzio and Wright could give a s*** what "we" think. It is not their job to worry about such drivel.

I agree with Rex. There is always some pressure in your first start. So what. Last time I looked, Cotts is a professional baseball player/pitcher. He might give some hits and walks, but he's not going to fall apart like a 29 cent mop. Every pitcher has a first start sometime. If we are still in this thing on August 12th, we should consider Cotts.

Are you seriousley going to compare Cotts to Porzio and Wright?

I hope not....

The next time the 5th spot comes up, it will be At Chicago against Oakland...

You could be looking at August 8th or 9th could be a possibility...

We brought up Garland and Buehrle in 2000...

Why not Cotts in 2003?

Because Cotts, Porzio and Wright could give a s*** what "we" think. It is not their job to worry about such drivel.

Well we've been b****ing about not having a 5th starter for weeks now. Obviosuly if we bring Cotts up now there's gonna be pressure on him. When you're in a pennant chase every gm matters...If we do bring Cotts up and he sucks balls we're in the same position that were in with Wright and Porzio...

Are you seriousley going to compare Cotts to Porzio and Wright?

I hope not....

The next time the 5th spot comes up, it will be At Chicago against Oakland...

You could be looking at August 8th or 9th could be a possibility...

We brought up Garland and Buehrle in 2000...

Why not Cotts in 2003?

In 2000 we had the division put away by all-star break...My point is that we're lookin for production outta the 5th spot. Not just for Cotts to come up here get his feet a lil wet and get killed...If it's not alright for Wright and Porzio to suck why is it ok for Cotts?

I'm glad i stayed home tonight to watch Wright's awful performance. How many times does that guy have to fall behind hitters and throw em meatballs over the heart of the plate? Even Hawk and DJ commented on how it takes him 5-6 pitches EVERY batter to get a guy out or have him put it in play somewhere. Wright walks way way way too many guys for my liking right now. And as a closer? The last thing you can afford to do is walk a guy, esp the leadoff guy. He has a long way to go to get to a closing stage.

I don't know if Cotts is the answer, maybe it's worth a shot for a start or two. Although, i'd like to see Wright get one more shot i guess just so we don't have to force the Cotts issue too soon...but boy, tonight was sick.

Wright nor Porzio had the kind of numbers Cotts has had in the minors...

To assume that Cotts would get pounded is beyond stupid...

Hey man, look at Zito, he just got POUNDED...

It happens, jesus, its not the end of the world...

But the reason why I'm fed up with Wright is because he has clearly been put into the situation again adn again and again and again and again and again...and failed...

You ever thought of the possibility of Cotts actually being the final piece of the rotation?

I prefer to be optimistic than pessimistic...

It is not completely out of the realm of possibility that he comes up and has success

I'm glad i stayed home tonight to watch Wright's awful performance. How many times does that guy have to fall behind hitters and throw em meatballs over the heart of the plate? Even Hawk and DJ commented on how it takes him 5-6 pitches EVERY batter to get a guy out or have him put it in play somewhere. Wright walks way way way too many guys for my liking right now. And as a closer? The last thing you can afford to do is walk a guy, esp the leadoff guy. He has a long way to go to get to a closing stage.

I don't know if Cotts is the answer, maybe it's worth a shot for a start or two. Although, i'd like to see Wright get one more shot i guess just so we don't have to force the Cotts issue too soon...but boy, tonight was sick.

I somewhat agree with your comments on Wright...Everything u said except for the closer part. I think he could be a great closer. He's got dominating power stuff. And he wouldn't have to be so cute all the time comin up to shut a team down for 1 inning. I definitely see somethin atleast close to Eric Gagne as far as closing goes. Far as Cotts go If they bring him up then fine. If he does well great. If he sucks it could somewhat hurt his development. I think it would be a lot to ask of any young pitcher to come up in the middle of a pennant race and produce. There was no pressure on Buehrle and Garland when we brought them up in 2000. We had a 9-10 gm lead the entire 2nd half of that season up until the final week...They were just up because of injuries to Baldin and Eldred...

I somewhat agree with your comments on Wright...Everything u said except for the closer part. I think he could be a great closer. He's got dominating power stuff. And he wouldn't have to be so cute all the time comin up to shut a team down for 1 inning. I definitely see somethin atleast close to Eric Gagne as far as closing goes. Far as Cotts go If they bring him up then fine. If he does well great. If he sucks it could somewhat hurt his development. I think it would be a lot to ask of any young pitcher to come up in the middle of a pennant race and produce. There was no pressure on Buehrle and Garland when we brought them up in 2000. We had a 9-10 gm lead the entire 2nd half of that season up until the final week...They were just up because of injuries to Baldin and Eldred...

Ya, good point...though i don't know how much of it is Dan being "pretty" and how much it is just him being really wild sometimes. If he picks the first inning to do that, as a closer, he'd be screwed. But yes the stuff is there...just not the control right now IMO

Wright nor Porzio had the kind of numbers Cotts has had in the minors...

To assume that Cotts would get pounded is beyond stupid...

Hey man, look at Zito, he just got POUNDED...

It happens, jesus, its not the end of the world...

But the reason why I'm fed up with Wright is because he has clearly been put into the situation again adn again and again and again and again and again...and failed...

You ever thought of the possibility of Cotts actually being the final piece of the rotation?

I prefer to be optimistic than pessimistic...

It is not completely out of the realm of possibility that he comes up and has success

Thanks for putting words in my mouth by the way. Now let me bgin by sayin I have no problem with Cotts. He's been a fine pitcher this year...But don't try and tell me we would bring him up just to bring him up. If he gets the job done then great. Fantastic. Will win the division. But u always have to look at the possibility of him struggling. We've got some tough ass teams we have to play this month. Teams that r fighting for the playoffs. It's gonna be very tough for him to come up in THIS situation and get the job done. I just don't wanna see him rushed into the rotation too early...

How would bringing up Cotts hurt his development?

What else does he have to develop?

A Perfect Game?

Sooner or later he's gotta come up and face the big boys, and he's ready

He has better stuff than Wright and Porzio so what would be the big deal about bringing him up now?

You can't shield a kid from something he was destined to do

How many starts does our 5 starter spot have left? I thought someone said like 3-4 maybe?

That's not that many starts to be overly concerned with who's gonna start em. At the same time, you don't want to concede those, chalk em up as losses.

I don't know if it would be great for Cotts development to start only a few times, under pressure, with maybe 2 weeks or so between starts

It's a real tough call at this point. Another thing to think about is if we do bring up Cotts and he's pretty good, that's another asset we would have when it comes time for the playoffs.