2011 Music Thread

Kyyle23

QUOTE (Felix @ Jul 3, 2011 -> 12:16 AM)
The Mollusk is a seriously great album, as is the rest of their stuff depending on the mood you're in. Their s*** goes from being delightfully brown (Pure Guava) to low-fi punk (GodWeenSatan: The Oneness) to 'poppy' (or as close as you'll get for Ween with White Pepper) to a taste of just about everything on 'Chocolate and Cheese.' Definitely recommend their other albums as well (quebec, Shinola, 12 Country Greats and La Cucaracha to a lesser extent). I can't say I recommend The Pod to anyone right away as I still have issues listening to it, but it's got some decent tracks as well. It's just incredibly brown and tough to listen to, though.

It's easy to listen a couple of Ween tracks and discount them as a juvenile band and nothing else, but that'd be a mistake. They definitely have a number of tracks that are designed to get a cheap laugh or two, but I think the contrast between those songs and their "serious" ones is really effective in making the whole album an enjoyable experience. They also have a lot of songs that are tributes to other bands/artists (such as the one I linked to in my previous post), and when listening to their catalog, it's clear how much they really love music and the people that play it. There's a huge appreciation for the people that came before them, which is one of their most endearing traits IMO.

Any time. Over the past year or two, Ween has really become one of my favorite bands (alongside Mr. Bungle -- "California" is one of the best and most interesting albums I've ever listened to in my life). At this point, they're probably ahead of Zappa, but that could just be a tendency to favor the artists most recently in my mind.

EDIT: I'm kind of embarrassed that I wrote a whole post about Ween and didn't even bother to mention that Deaner is a great, great

Or, if you'd rather listen to the AV Club... http://www.avclub.com/articles/ween,59963/

• Replies 447
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Aug 9, 2011 -> 04:21 PM)
So after you define One hit wonder by saying they have one hit song, then you list her albums?

Name more than one of her hit songs without searching

Well, albums do contain more than one song, and most of the time, when whole abums reach #1 and go multi-platinum, as hers with "Nothing Compares 2 U" did, more than just one song from the album is popular. Off the top of my head, I can name "The Emperor's New Clothes" as another song from that album that got lots of airplay. There's also a song of hers with a chorus that goes "lay your hands on me" that I think is also from that album.

I think a one-hit wonder is pretty commonly accepted as someone who comes out of nowhere to have just one popular "hit" song, and then fades away to obscurity forever. If we agree on that, I still don't see how you think she fits. She was a known quantity before the Prince record came out, as her first album (containing the song "Mandinka") was very well received and also went Gold. She did not "fade away" immediately after her #1 song either. She went on to make and sell lots of music after that, including the song from the movie "In the Name of the Father" (don't recall the name).

A common joke about "one-hit wonders" is that their "best of" or "greatest hits" albums contain just one lone tune. I think Sine-Aid has several compilation albums (I have one) spanning several years.

Edited by PlaySumFnJurny

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Aug 9, 2011 -> 05:21 PM)
So after you define One hit wonder by saying they have one hit song, then you list her albums?

Name more than one of her hit songs without searching

Mandinka

Gets plenty of airplay.

And now damn, I see it was mentioned. But yeah.

QUOTE (MHizzle85 @ Aug 8, 2011 -> 05:12 PM)
So good. So damn good.

It's not revolutionary and it doesn't have that 1 huge hit single, but top to bottom, and incredible album. So much depth. And anytime you sample dubstep and make it a boss rap song, I'm down. Kanye, as big of an ass as he is, is a genius.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Aug 17, 2011 -> 11:25 AM)
Anyone do Pandora Radio? I just started playing with it. Is it worthwhile?

I like it. It does repeat songs but it is kinda cool just to plug in random bands and see what songs it comes up with. We actually used it a lot around Christmas times for a variation on holiday music.

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Aug 9, 2011 -> 03:32 PM)
unfortunately the moniker fits for her. she has had success, but lets be honest, i doubt many posters could name more than that one song without a google search

The Emperor's New Clothes (follow up single) did have moderate success, and did top the Modern Rock charts in 1990.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Aug 17, 2011 -> 11:25 AM)
Anyone do Pandora Radio? I just started playing with it. Is it worthwhile?

I think it's solid. You can pick by genre or similar artists. You can skip over 6 songs an hour per station, and like/dislike songs to get them played more/less frequently.

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Aug 17, 2011 -> 03:10 PM)
I think it's solid. You can pick by genre or similar artists. You can skip over 6 songs an hour per station, and like/dislike songs to get them played more/less frequently.

I created my own station. So far I am impressed with the extra picks.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Aug 17, 2011 -> 03:56 PM)
What is spotify?

Spotify is like Pandora but more specific. If you want to hear a specific song, you can search for it and play it streaming for free. You can also play everything the artist you like has in their library, one song after the other. Want to sample an album before buying it? You can stream the whole thing, anytime.

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ Aug 18, 2011 -> 10:38 AM)
All set for CMA Fest 2012. The wife loves country, and sadly, I'm getting into it. It should be a fun weekend.

I hear ya, the same thing has happened to me. Before I was married I refused to listen to country and now I enjoy it. Actually chose to go see Toby Keith next month to celebrate my birthday.

Nashville is a great town, that fest should be fun, country music or not.

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Aug 18, 2011 -> 05:52 PM)
Nashville is a great town, that fest should be fun, country music or not.

I've been to Nashville for a Bachelor Party. It's awesome. The wife on a mechanical bull should be awesome... and hot.

Yeah, I've gotten into country over the last couple years thanks to her, but now I'm going to full-court press it since it cost so much to go to this thing!

QUOTE (Milkman delivers @ Aug 18, 2011 -> 07:29 PM)
Just so you guys know, Kenny Chesney, Toby Keith, Tim McGraw, that guy from Australia, Sugarland, etc. are completely watered down Country. Those first three USED to be awesome, but they all went more pop. There's a lot of chick country out there now.

Anything after Hank Williams is garbage

QUOTE (PlaySumFnJurny @ Aug 19, 2011 -> 07:32 AM)
That's a bit of a snobby cliche. Merle Haggard, Johnny Cash, George Jones, Waylon Jennings and Willie Nelson all came after.

Cash and Jennings both owned. I wasn't being serious aside from agreeing that modern country is pretty awful imo.