2011 Music Thread

Kyyle23

• Replies 447
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Jim (or anyone else who might have any insight, which I doubt) --

I think I asked for some suggests on funk bands quite some time ago, and if I remember right, you gave me a couple of solid bands (whose names I have now forgotten, of course). I'm always looking for some solid funk, and my collection doesn't really range that far past Funkadelic/Parliament, Sly & the Family Stone and a couple of albums here/there (like Funk Spectrum -- awesome, awesome album). Anyway, if I remember right, you've got a little funk in you.

Well recently, the glory of Pandora has basically started some funky guerrilla warfare on my 'weird rock' station, providing me with some (seemingly) solid funk bands:

and The Bamboos, to name a few. Add in the Wire bringing up
, and I've got a ton of funk to go through.

Are you familiar with any of these groups? I'm really only familiar with a couple of YouTube clips from each and the songs that have been popping up on Pandora, but I have no idea where to begin albumwise.

Figured it'd be worth a shot to throw this out there. Otherwise I might have to just start from the beginning and go through the albums, one by one, which probably isn't a bad thing anyway!

Edited by Felix

QUOTE (Felix @ Jul 15, 2011 -> 07:17 PM)
Jim (or anyone else who might have any insight, which I doubt) --

I think I asked for some suggests on funk bands quite some time ago, and if I remember right, you gave me a couple of solid bands (whose names I have now forgotten, of course). I'm always looking for some solid funk, and my collection doesn't really range that far past Funkadelic/Parliament, Sly & the Family Stone and a couple of albums here/there (like Funk Spectrum -- awesome, awesome album). Anyway, if I remember right, you've got a little funk in you.

Well recently, the glory of Pandora has basically started some funky guerrilla warfare on my 'weird rock' station, providing me with some (seemingly) solid funk bands:

and The Bamboos, to name a few. Add in the Wire bringing up
, and I've got a ton of funk to go through.

Are you familiar with any of these groups? I'm really only familiar with a couple of YouTube clips from each and the songs that have been popping up on Pandora, but I have no idea where to begin albumwise.

Figured it'd be worth a shot to throw this out there. Otherwise I might have to just start from the beginning and go through the albums, one by one, which probably isn't a bad thing anyway!

I don't recall the conversation in question, but when the mood hits I do indeed occasionally like to Freak da Funk.

The Bamboos are great. I have their first two records and prefer the first one with more instrumental jamming, but Kylie Auldist their vocalist is really good and if you like her you will love the second album (Rawville). She also has a couple of solo albums out and you can find some of that stuff on YouTube. I actually blame my son for indirectly turning me on to the Bamboos. They did some music for a wii game we got him for Christmas a couple of years ago and it was actually the first I had ever heard of them. They have a lot of newerstuff out that I have not heard since sadly the last few years my music consumption has really gone into the crapper.

Stanton Moore is an unbelievable New Orleans drummer. I know him more from is association with Galactic Prophylactic/Galactic than anything else he's done but I know he's been around and done quite bit. Galactic has kind of lost me the past several years as they have gone more into electronica and away from the jazz funk they started doing, but all of the musicians are excellent. Their earliest stuff had an obvious amount of influence from classic Nawlins jazz funk bands like the Meters. If you like that sound definitely fill in some historic gaps with some Meters and — probably even more influential — the Dirty Dozen Brass Band. My first encounter with DDBB was as the backing musicians on some of the best tracks from Elvis Costello's nearly perfect Spike album.

Like you, I only have experienced the New Mastersounds through one or two random Pandora selections. When I find the time to beef up my music collection I will have to remember to give these guys a chance.

As for my personal favorites. . . I got onto jazz funk and deep funk through local Champaign and Chicago bands during college in the late 1980s, and most of the groups we'd follow have left little or no recorded output. Great local bands like Funkhouse, Smokin Toast', and Modern Humans, now lost to the ages. Somewhat similar national acts of the time include some of the Boston stuff like Chucklehead. I really like their earliest stuff (1988-1991), but I think they got to be rather annoying the last 5 years or so while they were around.

QUOTE (Tony82087 @ Jul 21, 2011 -> 01:21 PM)
It's an interesting topic, because with the lifestyles these guys now lead, what else are they supposed to rap about. It's their life.

I'm sure you can come up with more than just that one topic. Show some creativity.

Going to see 10 Years Saturday night at Workplay Theater in downtown Birmingham. Super psyched. This will be the 5th time I've seen them live, 3rd time at Workplay. The previous times were at Zydeco and B & A Warehouse, both in downtown Birmingham. Zydeco's a dump though. All three places are smaller clubs, so you're close to the band. Workplay is awesome because they don't allow smoking inside, has great acoustics, has plenty of places to sit, tables, booths, or you can just stand up near the stage and is just perfect to see a show at. 10 Years is also fantastic live. Great energy, always a great show. Where you at, Sonik22?

QUOTE (BigSqwert @ Jul 21, 2011 -> 01:23 PM)
I'm sure you can come up with more than just that one topic. Show some creativity.

I'm pretty sure there will be more on the album than them just talking about the cool s*** that they do.

Even if it wasn't, they do it clever enough that I'd go out & buy it anyway.

My wife is having a nice retro music weekend.

Journey, Foreigner and Night Ranger tonight and Paul McCartney tomorrow night.

She's really excited about it and I'm happy for her.

I wouldn't have minded seeing the show tonight (but I wasn't about to intrude on her Girls' Night with her friends).

I saw Paul back in 1989 and I really don't want to see a concert at Wrigley.

QUOTE (The Critic @ Jul 30, 2011 -> 05:06 PM)
My wife is having a nice retro music weekend.

Journey, Foreigner and Night Ranger tonight and Paul McCartney tomorrow night.

She's really excited about it and I'm happy for her.

I wouldn't have minded seeing the show tonight (but I wasn't about to intrude on her Girls' Night with her friends).

I saw Paul back in 1989 and I really don't want to see a concert at Wrigley.

Besides the Wrigley and cost things, McCartney still puts on an incredible show.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Aug 1, 2011 -> 11:34 AM)
Besides the Wrigley and cost things, McCartney still puts on an incredible show.

Hell yeah he does, comes in at around 35-40 songs in a show, which...is a long, enjoyable show. We went to 2 stops on the "Up and Coming Tour" and thoroughly enjoyed both of them.