2011 TV Thread

Kyyle23

Chicago Code was pretty good for a network show. It's just hard for me to get into network dramas. They seem much less realistic with the lack of swearing and toned down violence. This is definitely no Shield but I'll give it a shot for the time being.

• Replies 3.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (BigSqwert @ Feb 8, 2011 -> 08:56 AM)
Chicago Code was pretty good for a network show. It's just hard for me to get into network dramas. They seem much less realistic with the lack of swearing and toned down violence. This is definitely no Shield but I'll give it a shot for the time being.

I think they tried to cover up the lack of swearing by having the main character frown upon it. I guess it's not that unrealistic...there are people that don't like cursing for one reason or another....f***in idiots if you ask me though. ;)

QUOTE (Controlled Chaos @ Feb 8, 2011 -> 09:13 AM)
I think they tried to cover up the lack of swearing by having the main character frown upon it. I guess it's not that unrealistic...there are people that don't like cursing for one reason or another....f***in idiots if you ask me though. ;)

Yeah but a whole series where gang bangers use words like "jerk" and "idiot". Come on.

QUOTE (Controlled Chaos @ Feb 8, 2011 -> 09:38 AM)
That's true. Can they swear in Spanish??

Hmm not sure.

Also, this is the first hour long Fox drama that I've watched. Crazy how many commercial breaks there are. Seems like the F/X dramas have a lot less breaks.

So after a run of pretty good episodes I thought HIMYM was pretty bad last night. It might be because I think the Zoey storyline is awful and pointless but I guess we will see where they go with it. She clearly is not the mother and I fail to see how Ted having yet another failed major relationship adds anything to the show.

QUOTE (whitesoxfan99 @ Feb 8, 2011 -> 05:04 PM)
So after a run of pretty good episodes I thought HIMYM was pretty bad last night. It might be because I think the Zoey storyline is awful and pointless but I guess we will see where they go with it. She clearly is not the mother and I fail to see how Ted having yet another failed major relationship adds anything to the show.

How do we know she's not the mom?

There were rumors last year that Jennifer Morrison was signed on to play the mom.

I'll give the Chicago Code a solid B+ for the pilot. Enough to get me to watch it again and see where they go with the story. I like the subtle shoutouts to random Chicago stuff ("what time does the game start? 1:20?" A Cubs fan! I knew it!") and I love that they use actual Chicago locations. Agree that it would be 100% better on HBO or Showtime, but i'll take what I can get.

QUOTE (fathom @ Feb 8, 2011 -> 11:17 AM)
How do we know she's not the mom?

There were rumors last year that Jennifer Morrison was signed on to play the mom.

In the first episode of this season Ted told his kids that he met their mother at a wedding. So clearly not the case with Zoey. Also, Zoey being Rachel Bilson's characters roomate doesn't really seem to fit. And Zoey should have been in the class that Ted taught (that really wasn't his class). I'm pretty sure that would have came up between them by now.

Thanks 99. I just started watching HIMYM this year, and have DVR'd so many old episodes that I feel I watch 5 shows of it a night. One observation is that Robin has gotten significantly less attractive as time has gone on. As my wife says when watching it "motherhood has not been kind to her".

Edited by fathom

I agree with the above but after last night I started to feel like they are just going to try and smooth over those problems.

For example the roommate thing, even though she was married to the Captain she still had a place with her old roommate to help her pay rent. The class thing Zoey can say that she was to embarrassed to bring it up until she was actually with Ted. I agree that its not the most consistent, but I think its doable.

QUOTE (BigSqwert @ Feb 8, 2011 -> 09:16 AM)
Yeah but a whole series where gang bangers use words like "jerk" and "idiot". Come on.

I don't see why they don't just beep it out like NBC did with Southland the first season and they've continued with on TNT. It doesn't take anything away and keeps it realistic.

I didn't really have any desire to watch the Chicago Code, but it seemed like in the previews NO ONE HAD and accent. I'm not even from Chicago anymore, but I know 2 chicago cops, both have the thickest accents. I think they're thicker than most of the population of Chicago for some reason.

Did people have accents, or should I say the correct accents?

or is it like most WWII movies where the Nazi's had british accents for some reason

Also, it's just FX, not F/X

Edited by Cali

QUOTE (BigSqwert @ Feb 8, 2011 -> 12:52 PM)
The main detective sort of had one but he's actually from Australia so it might take him time to fine tune the accent.

It's always funny to watch a show, then later find out that the actor is from another country with a completely different accent that they manage to hide so well. Just finished the Wire and had no clue that McNulty is British & Mayor Carcetti was an Irish actor.

QUOTE (Cali @ Feb 8, 2011 -> 12:50 PM)
I didn't really have any desire to watch the Chicago Code, but it seemed like in the previews NO ONE HAD and accent. I'm not even from Chicago anymore, but I know 2 chicago cops, both have the thickest accents. I think they're thicker than most of the population of Chicago for some reason.

Did people have accents, or should I say the correct accents?

or is it like most WWII movies where the Nazi's had british accents for some reason

Also, it's just FX, not F/X

I thought Beals went with a pretty thick accent. I've heard her in interviews and she doesn't normally talk like that. I always think it's funny when I hear a "Chicago accent" because I don't typically notice or hear it, so I tend to forget it exists. This is my buddy from high school(kudos to him by the way)....I never thought he had an accent, but when I listen to him on here...I totally hear it.

Listen to her at 10 seconds in

then listen to her here. (nice speech by the way...I like her more now)

Edited by Controlled Chaos

QUOTE (Soxbadger @ Feb 8, 2011 -> 11:44 AM)
I agree with the above but after last night I started to feel like they are just going to try and smooth over those problems.

For example the roommate thing, even though she was married to the Captain she still had a place with her old roommate to help her pay rent. The class thing Zoey can say that she was to embarrassed to bring it up until she was actually with Ted. I agree that its not the most consistent, but I think its doable.

And the fact that Ted met his wife at a wedding? No getting around that one unless they just choose to ignore continuity altogether.

The Chicago Code was definitely enjoyable, I wouldn't say great but it had a good start.

I do appreciate that someone is finally straying away from LA and NYC to base a show on. It seems like the Midwest gets forgotten quite a bit.

QUOTE (whitesoxfan99 @ Feb 8, 2011 -> 10:04 AM)

I thought it was excellent, the plot isnt really why I watch it, the parts with Jason Segel living at home were priceless.

And I watched the first episode of Shameless last night, Wow.