2011 TV Thread

Kyyle23

• Replies 3.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ Jun 20, 2011 -> 09:40 AM)
For someone so concerned with writing, you'd think Meredith Blake would have a better understanding of grammar.

I was thinking the exact thing. Though I agreed with a lot of her points, there way too many plot points that didn't make any sense in a show that's apparently striving for realism.

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Jun 21, 2011 -> 10:17 AM)
Watched Falling Skies last night. I think its got potential. Reminders me a bit of a cross between Jericho and V or something along those lines. Interested in seeing where it goes.

i liked Falling Skies though I wasn't thrilled with a commercial break every 8 minutes or so. Should be worth a look as the season goes on. I also just read Comedy Central is not picking up either The Onion's sports show or Norm's show either. Only saw Norm's once but thought it was pretty funny. Never checked out the other one.

QUOTE (juddling @ Jun 22, 2011 -> 03:50 AM)
i liked Falling Skies though I wasn't thrilled with a commercial break every 8 minutes or so. Should be worth a look as the season goes on. I also just read Comedy Central is not picking up either The Onion's sports show or Norm's show either. Only saw Norm's once but thought it was pretty funny. Never checked out the other one.

Any networks show is like that anymore.

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ Jun 22, 2011 -> 10:35 AM)
The

Challenge

:

Rivals

Yes, oh God, yes!

We should start our own thread for it...since, ya know, it's awesome. I would recommend in the Sports Bar as well.

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ Jun 22, 2011 -> 10:35 AM)
The

Challenge

:

Rivals

America! f*** Yeah!!!!

My house still has no power and I'll be at the game tonight anyway, but just happy it's finally starting up again. Can't Wait!

QUOTE (JoeCoolMan24 @ Jun 19, 2011 -> 11:34 AM)
So I tried watching The Tudors last night on Netflix.

Season 1, Epiosode 1 starts off "Previously on The Tudors" and then shows like 1 or 2 minutes of all this quick information and important looking scenes. Is this really how the series starts, or has Netflix misnamed the episodes? I watched like 10 minutes and couldn't figure out really what was happening. It started with a play being rehearsed, and Rhys-Meyers naming some guy as Duke.

Anybody?

QUOTE (JoeCoolMan24 @ Jun 19, 2011 -> 11:34 AM)
So I tried watching The Tudors last night on Netflix.

Season 1, Epiosode 1 starts off "Previously on The Tudors" and then shows like 1 or 2 minutes of all this quick information and important looking scenes. Is this really how the series starts, or has Netflix misnamed the episodes? I watched like 10 minutes and couldn't figure out really what was happening. It started with a play being rehearsed, and Rhys-Meyers naming some guy as Duke.

I don't remember how the first episode started in terms of a "previously seen on". Basically the series begins with Henry planning a war with France and he soon meets the Boleyn girls. It's kind of confusing if you're not familiar with the history behind it but by mid-way through the first season it makes sense.

Personally, I loved the series. I've written several papers on the Tudors when I was in school and read several books on the family and period so I'm pretty familiar with them and do know a lot about them. The series obviously romanticizes certain things, portrays rumors as fact and isn't always accurate of course, but as a show goes, it does a pretty good job of sticking with history and facts for the most part. That's why they are so fascinating to me, they can provide a great drama series without the need for much alteration. Stick with the series, you'll enjoy it. Season 2 was the best of the four. I wish they continued the series with his children, as that easily could have provided 3-4 more seasons and have been just as good.

Edited by ChiSox_Sonix

QUOTE (BigSqwert @ Jun 23, 2011 -> 11:12 AM)
Season 2 of Louie premiers tonight.

I didn't really enjoy the first season. I'm sure I've mentioned it on here, but the awkward/embarrassing humor did more to make me feel uncomfortable than it did to make me laugh. I've never been a big fan of that type of comedy. It's good in smaller doses (early episodes of The Office), but it's rough when it's the entire basis of a series.

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ Jun 23, 2011 -> 11:41 AM)
And that weird dog show starts too.

I'm going to give that a shot, mainly due to Elijah Wood. He seems to pick really various and unique roles (in order to avoid being typecast, as I've heard), but almost always chooses good projects.

QUOTE (Milkman delivers @ Jun 23, 2011 -> 11:49 AM)
I didn't really enjoy the first season. I'm sure I've mentioned it on here, but the awkward/embarrassing humor did more to make me feel uncomfortable than it did to make me laugh. I've never been a big fan of that type of comedy. It's good in smaller doses (early episodes of The Office), but it's rough when it's the entire basis of a series.

I'm going to give that a shot, mainly due to Elijah Wood. He seems to pick really various and unique roles (in order to avoid being typecast, as I've heard), but almost always chooses good projects.

I love me some Louie, and I'll check out Wilfred or whatever it's called.

QUOTE (BigSqwert @ Jun 23, 2011 -> 11:12 AM)
Season 2 of Louie premiers tonight.

Man, that show was so disappointing for me. Louie CK is my 2nd fav. comedian, I love every standup he does, but his show is not funny at all IMO. It's all "reaction" driven awkward moments. One character says something, and he just gives them an odd silence and a weird look. It's all awkward moments as the punchline.

QUOTE (ChiSox_Sonix @ Jun 23, 2011 -> 08:16 AM)
I don't remember how the first episode started in terms of a "previously seen on". Basically the series begins with Henry planning a war with France and he soon meets the Boleyn girls. It's kind of confusing if you're not familiar with the history behind it but by mid-way through the first season it makes sense.

Personally, I loved the series. I've written several papers on the Tudors when I was in school and read several books on the family and period so I'm pretty familiar with them and do know a lot about them. The series obviously romanticizes certain things, portrays rumors as fact and isn't always accurate of course, but as a show goes, it does a pretty good job of sticking with history and facts for the most part. That's why they are so fascinating to me, they can provide a great drama series without the need for much alteration. Stick with the series, you'll enjoy it. Season 2 was the best of the four. I wish they continued the series with his children, as that easily could have provided 3-4 more seasons and have been just as good.

Ok, so Netflix must have misnamed the seasons/episodes. Will this sucks, guess I won't be watching the show on Netflix until they fix that.

I liked Louie's first season but have a theory.

Last season it aired two new episodes each week back to back and I actually thought that was overkill and burnt me out on it. I like that it will be just one new episode a week this season.

QUOTE (juddling @ Jun 22, 2011 -> 04:50 AM)
i liked Falling Skies though I wasn't thrilled with a commercial break every 8 minutes or so.

TNT on demand is killing me. They're disabling fast forward and showing 5 minutes of show followed by 5 minutes of the same five commercials over and over and over again. Turning a 30 minute show into 1 hr.