2011 TV Thread

Kyyle23

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ Dec 19, 2011 -> 08:53 AM)
Homeland - I'm not sure how I feel about it.

Obviously, we're going to have some sort of cliffhanger/way to make a season 2 make sense without having to bring in a whole new cast. I feel like nothing happened, though. Honestly, I was hoping Brody would blow everyone up, because that's what 24 would do, haha.

However, it was brilliantly acted (Damien Lewis had better win an Emmy, but then again, so should Claire Danes). I enjoyed the moment right before the episode ended with her realizing Brody new the child, and thus further confirming her suspicion. Her character is so painful to watch, as she's right about everything yet no one believes her (classic conspiracy theory storyline played perfectly).

In the end, I feel like there was a ton of buildup for an episode in which not really that much happened. I'm intrigued to see Brody burrow his way deeper into American politics, but also find it comically unbelievable that he'd be on a cell phone talking to a guy who managed to avoid any tips about him coming out for 7 years at one point.

I enjoyed it, though; I thought the season the whole was exceptional, yet I feel the finale left me wondering what I'd just spent an hour and a half watching.

I'm sorta feeling the same. It didn't do much for me, but it didn't bother/frustrate/anger me either.

• Replies 3.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Brian @ Dec 19, 2011 -> 04:55 AM)
Scrolled all the way down to avoid HOMELAND talk until I watch finale later. Just wanted to say:

-A nice cliffhanger doesn't make up for a boring, lame, and lackluster season finale of Dexter.

-Survivor does it again. Pulls me in with a decent season and than awards the money to a less deserving player. Not a fan but Coach ran the show pretty much the way Boston Rob did last year. He should of won IMO.

There was no Homeland talk until you mentioned it, I believe :lol:

And agreed on the cliffhanger stuff. Many shows seem to think that a cliffhanger is great writing, but it's incredibly lame and unoriginal.

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ Dec 19, 2011 -> 08:53 AM)
However, it was brilliantly acted (Damien Lewis had better win an Emmy, but then again, so should Claire Danes).

Since I haven't watched the show yet (I plan to do so right before the second season starts, ditto for Hell On Wheels), I have to wonder what type of role he has. Would it be for Best Actor, Best Supporting Actor, or Guest Appearance on a Drama?

QUOTE (Milkman delivers @ Dec 19, 2011 -> 10:50 AM)
There was no Homeland talk until you mentioned it, I believe :lol:

And agreed on the cliffhanger stuff. Many shows seem to think that a cliffhanger is great writing, but it's incredibly lame and unoriginal.

Since I haven't watched the show yet (I plan to do so right before the second season starts, ditto for Hell On Wheels), I have to wonder what type of role he has. Would it be for Best Actor, Best Supporting Actor, or Guest Appearance on a Drama?

I'd assume best actor, but he might argue he's supporting Danes to get away from Cranston/Hamm. Of course then he has to go up against Aaron Paul, which wouldn't be easy either. Winters...er...Lewis was amazing though, especially in the finale.

I've been less than impressed with Hell on Wheels. I'm watching it because there's not much else out there, but I can't say it's very good. Just not enough interesting characters or plot to maintain any momentum from week to week.

QUOTE (Jenksismyb**** @ Dec 19, 2011 -> 11:09 AM)
I'd assume best actor, but he might argue he's supporting Danes to get away from Cranston/Hamm. Of course then he has to go up against Aaron Paul, which wouldn't be easy either. Winters...er...Lewis was amazing though, especially in the finale.

I've been less than impressed with Hell on Wheels. I'm watching it because there's not much else out there, but I can't say it's very good. Just not enough interesting characters or plot to maintain any momentum from week to week.

I'd heard good things about Hell On Wheels. Maybe I won't waste my time then.

I'm not sure how the next Emmy's will work. Since season 4 of Breaking Bad came out right after the last Emmy's, I'm not sure if it will be up for consideration in the next one or if the first half of season 5 will be out early enough for the next ceremony and will leave season 4 in the lurch. If season 4 is considered for the next one, then Supporting Actor will be tough will Aaron Paul and very likely (IMO, definitely) Giancarlo Esposito. Damian Lewis will have a tough go of it no matter what.

QUOTE (Milkman delivers @ Dec 19, 2011 -> 11:17 AM)
I'd heard good things about Hell On Wheels. Maybe I won't waste my time then.

No one's talking about it, but Hell On Wheels is really awesome, man. Give it a shot; you won't be disappointed.

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ Dec 19, 2011 -> 11:53 AM)
No one's talking about it, but Hell On Wheels is really awesome, man. Give it a shot; you won't be disappointed.

I haven't seen the last episode, but everything is so damn cliche so far. Oh look, the racist Irishmen, the take-no-s*** slave post civil-war, the dumb native american that can't understand what he's up against, and the immoral and corrupt white man, etc. I like the man character, I like Common's character (though his acting isn't so great) and I liked the plot line of the main guy seeking revenge. That should have been the real focus in the show, not the railroad. Now there's just too much going on and none of it overly interesting.

I mean it's worth the watch since there's not much else on, especially if you like gritty period pieces. But it's no Boardwalk or Deadwood.

QUOTE (Jenksismyb**** @ Dec 19, 2011 -> 12:30 PM)
I haven't seen the last episode, but everything is so damn cliche so far. Oh look, the racist Irishmen, the take-no-s*** slave post civil-war, the dumb native american that can't understand what he's up against, and the immoral and corrupt white man, etc.

They're cliches for a reason, yo. The above pretty much define the era.

Yeah, Homeland really left us with nothing to talk about or look forward to next season. Nothing excites me about Brody going to be a policitian, and we have no idea what is going to happen with Carrie, so there is really nothing to discuss.

After it ended I just kind of went "Hmm... Ok". Whereas after Dexter we all went "Holy s***! Where are they going to go from here!?!?"

I was kinda high on the idea of Walker in season 2 off the grid and being a threat. I don't think the finale needed to be 90 minutes. If they crammed the big stuff in an hour, I think more people would have been more positive. I liked it and was satisfied.

QUOTE (fathom @ Dec 19, 2011 -> 05:57 PM)
Steve, I agree with your synopsis on Homeland. I was disappointed in the final two episodes of the season. I really thought one or two of the main characters should have been killed off. I really didn't think the cliffhanger was anything shocking.

How in the hell can you get a cell phone call in an underground bunker?

They should have showed him going back into the room and then ended it there. Thats a f***ing cliffhanger.

QUOTE (Milkman delivers @ Dec 19, 2011 -> 07:52 PM)
Let's not get crazy here. At most, I nodded gratefully that they finally did something of note.

I JUST finished the finale. The wife and I agree, "we wasted 3 months for 12 good seconds of a season".

What a f***ing waste, yet now season 7 might be pretty good. That was seriously the ONLY way they could have ended this season and made me want to come back. F*ck.

QUOTE (kjshoe04 @ Dec 21, 2011 -> 12:45 AM)
Just saw Dexter. f*** that show. About three seasons too late on that one. After the reactions I saw on facebook I thought something actually interesting happened.

Yeah, the major secret of the entire show being revealed to a main character that Dexter won't just kill is not interesting at all. I nearly fell asleep when it happened.....

/sarcasm.

Seriously, what the hell else could you have asked for to happen in the finale?

QUOTE (JoeCoolMan24 @ Dec 20, 2011 -> 10:49 PM)
Yeah, the major secret of the entire show being revealed to a main character that Dexter won't just kill is not interesting at all. I nearly fell asleep when it happened.....

/sarcasm.

Seriously, what the hell else could you have asked for to happen in the finale?

Deb should have found out so long ago that it didn't surprise in the least. All it did was make sure I have to watch the beginning of next season before I give up. How the hell did Dexter get a toddler and an unconscious man from the top of a skyscraper to his car without anyone noticing?

QUOTE (kjshoe04 @ Dec 21, 2011 -> 01:04 AM)
Deb should have found out so long ago that it didn't surprise in the least. All it did was make sure I have to watch the beginning of next season before I give up. How the hell did Dexter get a toddler and an unconscious man from the top of a skyscraper to his car without anyone noticing?

Ok, but that doesn't mean when it did finally happen that it was no big deal. I think this show probably would be better overall with just 5 or 6 seasons, but that doesn't mean I am going to piss on everything they do now just because I disagreed with something in the past.

I dunno, I'm just excited for Shameless to start, even though I went ahead and watched the first episode of S2 for some reason.

QUOTE (kjshoe04 @ Dec 21, 2011 -> 01:10 AM)
I'm just sick of the terrible story lines. One good reveal at the end of a season does not make up for another terrible season.

No, but it's really all they could have done to make anyone interested in the next season (even though I honestly would have watched regardless). I can't think of anything more exciting in the ending than Deb finding out.

QUOTE (JoeCoolMan24 @ Dec 20, 2011 -> 11:12 PM)
No, but it's really all they could have done to make anyone interested in the next season (even though I honestly would have watched regardless). I can't think of anything more exciting in the ending than Deb finding out.

You're right, maybe I'm a little bitter because I had given up on Dexter after last season but saw everyone posting on facebook about how great this season was that I watched the entire season in the last 3 days. Paid winter break rocks by the way.