Is 2011 make or break for Ozzie?

chisoxfan09

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Rowand44 @ Jan 3, 2011 -> 03:36 AM)
On paper the Twins aren't even in our league. Doesn't mean we're a lock for anything because we certainly aren't but we're definitely the paper champions of this division.

And yes, adding Adam Dunn over Mark f***in Kotsay is a huge upgrade and I couldn't care less that we have no "proven" closer, our closer was hot garbage last season and there's no way that our committee or Sale or Matt or whoever is going to be worse.

I just disagree about Minn. vs. Chicago.

They won almost all the games they played against us last year and still return the core of the team.

I don't know why you think our starting pitching is title caliber and the bullpen. This team could fall apart and it wouldn't be Oz's fault. It also could win big.

QUOTE (greg775 @ Jan 2, 2011 -> 11:56 PM)
I just disagree about Minn. vs. Chicago.

They won almost all the games they played against us last year and still return the core of the team.

I don't know why you think our starting pitching is title caliber and the bullpen. This team could fall apart and it wouldn't be Oz's fault. It also could win big.

If the team doesn't win this year, it will more than likely go into rebuild mode. If that's the case, a new manager and possibly general manager would come along with it.

QUOTE (lord chas @ Jan 3, 2011 -> 07:00 AM)
are we already dismissing the twins? havent we learned our lesson that they just always seem to reload

It's the offseason where no games are played and we fans can dream big.

The reality is when we take the field we are still a flawed team that could win the division, but could also faceplant against Central teams as we have the last season and a half.

I think Minnie is the heavy favorite to repeat, however.

QUOTE (lord chas @ Jan 3, 2011 -> 01:00 AM)
are we already dismissing the twins? havent we learned our lesson that they just always seem to reload

Nobody has dismissed the Twins. They've merely stated that the Sox are a more talented team than the Twins are. I don't think that's wrong.

QUOTE (Heads22 @ Jan 3, 2011 -> 01:07 AM)
If the team doesn't win this year, it will more than likely go into rebuild mode. If that's the case, a new manager and possibly general manager would come along with it.

Trouble with that thinking is...if the team doesn't win this year, it's most likely because guys like Dunn, Konerko, and Peavy didn't produce. In other words...the expensive guys you'd want to trade off would be the ones underproducing.

QUOTE (greg775 @ Jan 3, 2011 -> 01:47 AM)
It's the offseason where no games are played and we fans can dream big.

The reality is when we take the field we are still a flawed team that could win the division, but could also faceplant against Central teams as we have the last season and a half.

I think Minnie is the heavy favorite to repeat, however.

I don't think you can call them a heavy anything with the pitching they have as of today.

QUOTE (jphat007 @ Jan 1, 2011 -> 08:23 PM)
im fine with getting rid of him if we don't make the playoffs, but if we don't make it it won't be his fault.

sorry, what's the point of an expensive manager again?

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jan 3, 2011 -> 04:25 PM)
I don't think you can call them a heavy anything with the pitching they have as of today.

What's so different about the Twins from last year? A few bullpen guys? I'd like to think they are ready to regress, but them winning series after series the second half of last season with a batch of no names makes me think they are still gonna be dangerous. Not to mention the Sox can't beat them head to head. They have our number. It's time to change that.

QUOTE (greg775 @ Jan 3, 2011 -> 05:50 PM)
What's so different about the Twins from last year? A few bullpen guys? I'd like to think they are ready to regress, but them winning series after series the second half of last season with a batch of no names makes me think they are still gonna be dangerous. Not to mention the Sox can't beat them head to head. They have our number. It's time to change that.

Carl Pavano is currently a FA and he was their 2nd best and probably most reliable starting pitcher last year. Orlando Hudson at 2nd base hasn't been replaced yet. Jim Thome isn't yet on the roster, and he had a ridiculous season that it'd be hard for him to match. John Rauch, Brian Fuentes, Matt Gurrier, and Jessie Crain is a whole lot to lose from 1 bullpen, not just "A few bullpen guys". They get Nathan back and still have Capps for 1 more year, but that middle relief has been formidable for years.

If Mauer has another 2009 like year, Nathan comes back strong, and Morneau comes back strong, they're still more than legitimate contenders, but they're sitting with obvious holes right now, and I'm not sure they have the money to fill them all.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jan 3, 2011 -> 04:54 PM)
Carl Pavano is currently a FA and he was their 2nd best and probably most reliable starting pitcher last year. Orlando Hudson at 2nd base hasn't been replaced yet. Jim Thome isn't yet on the roster, and he had a ridiculous season that it'd be hard for him to match. John Rauch, Brian Fuentes, Matt Gurrier, and Jessie Crain is a whole lot to lose from 1 bullpen, not just "A few bullpen guys". They get Nathan back and still have Capps for 1 more year, but that middle relief has been formidable for years.

Yeah but all we've done is replace one of the worst DH spots in the AL last year with one of the most feared power hitters in baseball.

QUOTE (BigSqwert @ Jan 3, 2011 -> 05:56 PM)
Yeah but all we've done is replace one of the worst DH spots in the AL last year with one of the most feared power hitters in baseball.

Their Bullpen right now is presumably:

Nathan

Capps

Jose Mijares

Pat Neshek

Jeff Manship

Anthony Slama

Glen Perkins

If Nathan is 100% Nathan that's still a formidable back 3 with some potential in the other guys, but there's still more question marks than we have in our pen.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jan 3, 2011 -> 02:54 PM)

If Mauer has another 2009 like year, Nathan comes back strong, and Morneau comes back strong, they're still more than legitimate contenders, but they're sitting with obvious holes right now, and I'm not sure they have the money to fill them all.

They did add a batting champ from Japan at shortstop, who while an unknown, has a shot to be pretty solid and getting Morneau back in and of itself would be huge. Of course, as good as Thome played for Morneau it would to an extent lessen the effect of having Morneau back by a bit. Still, I wouldn't write off the Twins. They have a good farm system and are a good team.

No doubt that the rotation (if they lose Pavano) and bullpen have taken a serious hit though.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jan 3, 2011 -> 03:05 PM)
Their Bullpen right now is presumably:

Nathan

Capps

Jose Mijares

Pat Neshek

Jeff Manship

Anthony Slama

Glen Perkins

If Nathan is 100% Nathan that's still a formidable back 3 with some potential in the other guys, but there's still more question marks than we have in our pen.

If someone could tell me that Nathan was 100%, I'd take there pen over ours to be honest (or at least consider it). I really am scared about our pen and the back end of our rotation. But I like the potential of our club and I like what Kenny has done. That said, we have holes that could end up being critical (no 5th starter if Sale is in the pen and I have a hard time expecting anything out of Peavy as of this point). I hope he puts everything together but given the injury and the fact that he hasn't pitched in a long time for a full season, it is hard to expect him to regain his ace form and foolish for the Sox to count on it. Luckily Buehrle/Floyd/Danks/Jackson is still a solid 1 through 4 (in no particular order). It has the potential to be well above average too.

Our pen could end up working out brilliantly too, but we lost Jenks/Putz/Liney (not that Liney matters) and added Crain. I guess someone could make a case that we added Sale to the pen too. Thorty is rock solid and the big X-Factor is health (like it is for every team) and Santos (if he can grow upon last year, than I'm a lot more confident) but Crain is our only righty which we can really count on as of now in that 7th/8th inning. Pena hasn't proven much in that role since joining the Sox, although he could very well kick total ass cause he has the stuff.

QUOTE (greg775 @ Jan 2, 2011 -> 02:30 AM)
I can't believe the intelligent people on here think we are a lock to win anything and if we don't Ozzie should be canned.

First of all it was a miracle winning as many games as the Sox did last year.

Secondly, I could easily see this team sucking. Just because Dunn has been added and Crain?

That doesn't mean s*** except we are returning to the days we had another major league hitter (Dye before the second half collapse in his final season here; Thome before he was let loose n signed by the Twins) in the lineup instead of the abysmal Kotsay and mediocre Jones duo.

We have no proven closer.

Our starting pitchers were good at times last year, horses*** at times.

Peavy is a major question mark.

Our third base and second base are question marks (as much as I love Gordon's potential). Paulie could easily drop in production after that great great season of his.

We still have a powderpuff hitter in left who arguably is not a good leadoff hitter and has no arm.

Rios is no superstar. In fact, despite his nice season, he still has much to prove. After bouncing back last year, does he feel he has anything to prove? Will he regress?

AJ had an average season last year. Some might say until the last six weeks or so he sucked. He's not getting any younger.

And this team has shown no ability to beat Minnesota and even dominate the lowly teams in the division. Just because we added Dunn and Crain we are locks to win the division? We are locks to dominate KC, Cleveland and Detroit when we haven't dominated them the past two seasons at all, just because of Crain and Dunn?

I dunno about that.

This team isn't a lock to win s*** and if it doesn't it isn't necessarily Ozzie's fault.

That said, if I were Ozzie and thought I had enough money in the bank/investments, I would ask for an extension now in an ultimatum ploy. If he doesn't get one, he should resign.

He can be a bench coach next year somewhere in the NL, then get a managing job again, likely in Florida. He's a fool to go into the year with a one-year deal; a fool. Managers with a WS title under their belt have more leverage than one year deals. As much as people think the White Sox should win it all every year, the reality is the city of Chicago has one WS title in the last 10,000 years. That title was with Ozzie at the helm.

Ozzie's contractual situation will be a major distraction all season. How can it not be? Ozzie doesn't stifle on matters like this.

With Ozzie's mouth, the reporters will be able to bait him so easily. If the Sox are winning early, they'll be asking him about the extension and doesn't he deserve one NOW; if the Sox are losing, they'll be asking about him about likely not getting an extension. He'll say his old s*** of, 'If they don't like Ozzie, fire him now!'

It will be a HUGE mess with him unsigned past next year. Should be crazy to watch it all explode.

p.s. After reading Rogers' article, it's pretty obvious Ozzie will be Florida's manager after next season. This isn't going to work with him on a one-year deal. No way. Not with his ego. There will be sooo many fireworks. Might as well get it over now.

This post makes my head hurt.

For every negative you post, the exact opposite could happen.

And everyone needs to take into account the source of this article.

QUOTE (greg775 @ Jan 2, 2011 -> 01:30 AM)
I can't believe the intelligent people on here think we are a lock to win anything and if we don't Ozzie should be canned.

First of all it was a miracle winning as many games as the Sox did last year.

Secondly, I could easily see this team sucking. Just because Dunn has been added and Crain?

That doesn't mean s*** except we are returning to the days we had another major league hitter (Dye before the second half collapse in his final season here; Thome before he was let loose n signed by the Twins) in the lineup instead of the abysmal Kotsay and mediocre Jones duo.

We have no proven closer.

Our starting pitchers were good at times last year, horses*** at times.

Peavy is a major question mark.

Our third base and second base are question marks (as much as I love Gordon's potential). Paulie could easily drop in production after that great great season of his.

We still have a powderpuff hitter in left who arguably is not a good leadoff hitter and has no arm.

Rios is no superstar. In fact, despite his nice season, he still has much to prove. After bouncing back last year, does he feel he has anything to prove? Will he regress?

AJ had an average season last year. Some might say until the last six weeks or so he sucked. He's not getting any younger.

And this team has shown no ability to beat Minnesota and even dominate the lowly teams in the division. Just because we added Dunn and Crain we are locks to win the division? We are locks to dominate KC, Cleveland and Detroit when we haven't dominated them the past two seasons at all, just because of Crain and Dunn?

I dunno about that.

This team isn't a lock to win s*** and if it doesn't it isn't necessarily Ozzie's fault.

That said, if I were Ozzie and thought I had enough money in the bank/investments, I would ask for an extension now in an ultimatum ploy. If he doesn't get one, he should resign.

He can be a bench coach next year somewhere in the NL, then get a managing job again, likely in Florida. He's a fool to go into the year with a one-year deal; a fool. Managers with a WS title under their belt have more leverage than one year deals. As much as people think the White Sox should win it all every year, the reality is the city of Chicago has one WS title in the last 10,000 years. That title was with Ozzie at the helm.

Ozzie's contractual situation will be a major distraction all season. How can it not be? Ozzie doesn't stifle on matters like this.

With Ozzie's mouth, the reporters will be able to bait him so easily. If the Sox are winning early, they'll be asking him about the extension and doesn't he deserve one NOW; if the Sox are losing, they'll be asking about him about likely not getting an extension. He'll say his old s*** of, 'If they don't like Ozzie, fire him now!'

It will be a HUGE mess with him unsigned past next year. Should be crazy to watch it all explode.

p.s. After reading Rogers' article, it's pretty obvious Ozzie will be Florida's manager after next season. This isn't going to work with him on a one-year deal. No way. Not with his ego. There will be sooo many fireworks. Might as well get it over now.

I honestly couldn't believe you posted this. (which is actually a pretty good post) It's like someone else did it for you or something...

Doesn't Tommy John surgery take two years to recover from? Plus, Nathan is in his mid-30's.

I think the days of Joe Nathan striking fear into the AL are long over.

Plus, Capps wasn't that solid last year for them, so its not like they have a good BP right now.

While the Twins core of Mauer-Morneau-Young-Liriano-Duensing is still intact, it's a big question mark after those 6.

The rotation is suspect after Liriano-Duensing, the lineup still has Mauer-Morenau-Young, but Cuddyer-Kubel-Span all had down years last year from 2009 and who knows about Valencia-Nishioka-Casilla.

It sure will be interesting to watch.