Rafael Soriano signs with Yankees

prochisox

Seriously though, if Soriano signed with the Sox, I'd put us as the favorite on paper.

The only team in the AL that should be better than the Sox if that happened would be Boston, but their rotation is a huge question mark. And their bullpen, since Bobby is setting up and not closing.

And while the Phils have far and away the best rotation, their lineup is like Boston's pitching staff.

Meanwhile the Sox could have a lethal lineup, a top 5 rotation depending on Peavy's health and a BP of:

CL - Soriano

SU - Crain

SU - Thornton

MR - Sale

MR - Santos

MR - Infante

LR - Pena

That right there is a good bullpen.

Also of note, the other places he'd sign are either almost at their limit too (Angels, especially if they get Beltre) or he wouldn't close (Yankees)

Edited by Quinarvy

• Replies 221
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Jan 2, 2011 -> 06:19 AM)
I think Garcia is going to cost about $5 mill, and he still brings in considerable durability issues. That'd be about $13 million, and really, is the upgrade in the bullpen going to be worth the additional $5 mill plus the downgrade in the rotation?

Five million? If he's that highly thought of, why hasn't somebody in need gobbled him up?

I have a feeling he isn't going to get much of an offer at all and he'd return for a rate similar to last year.

Another wildcard although probably not realistic (Has been mentioned in a few threads) is that JR has given KW the auth to open the checkbook because he wants to be all in since he is 74 and may not be able to enjoy another WS winner in his lifetime. Anything is possible. Especially with KW selling team improvement ideas to JR. But what is obvious is that with Boras as the uber (Darth Vadar Evil Empire) agent representing SOriano this has a snowball´s chance in hell to be true and is just a gimmick to pressure the real players to come to the table with checkbooks ready. Wish it were true though.

Latest update:

#chisox pen not bad w/ sale, thornton, santos, crain, pena. but soriano would be fine jenks replacement -- if they find $

Like I alluded to in previous post this does not seem likely with Boras. Maybe he sold some "Mystery Team" crap to Heyman and he ran with it. Dunno but with Boras you never know what kind of BS is going to come out of his hype machine.

QUOTE (knightni @ Jan 1, 2011 -> 09:41 PM)
Trading Edwin Jackson is even farther away from "all-in."

Maybe not, but if you include Soriano and Garcia or another competent 5th starter as part of the trade, it probably improves the team. I think Jackson could bring back a lot, although I won't be dissappointed if he's still in the White Sox rotation opening day. Chances are this is all BS, although there were reports earlier this offseason linking the Sox to Soriano. It would be a shocker. Not only a high priced free agent, but a high priced Boras free agent.

QUOTE (greg775 @ Jan 2, 2011 -> 02:38 AM)
Five million? If he's that highly thought of, why hasn't somebody in need gobbled him up?

I have a feeling he isn't going to get much of an offer at all and he'd return for a rate similar to last year.

Because 5 million is a lot different than 1 million.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jan 1, 2011 -> 08:54 PM)
The only way this could happen is on a one year deal.

My thoughts exactly.

Hard to believe this is a ploy to drum up interest/contract dollars for Soriano, since everybody knows the White Sox are about tapped financially. If that were the case they could've named numerous other "mystery teams" that one might find believable, as far as signing Soriano.

I think Boras/Soriano have found that the market for his closer has become underwhelming, in terms of both years/money.

The best closing job available is with the White Sox; behind solid SU w/ Thornton, Crain, Sale, Santos.

And Boras/Soriano know this.

QUOTE (greg775 @ Jan 2, 2011 -> 03:38 AM)

Because the market for middle to back of the rotation starters doesn't dry up early in FA, it probably gets stronger later in FA once the high-priced options are off the market and teams start realizing that they don't have enough pitching.

QUOTE (beckham15 @ Jan 1, 2011 -> 08:01 PM)
i like it but dont see how we could afford it unless it is a 1 yr deal with performance incentives

Incentives cost real money as well. The team would have to be prepared to cough up the dough.

I'm glad at least the team hasn't made a blanket "no Boras client will be signed" statement. Just as long as KW doesn't look Boras in the eyes, because then Boras will mesmerizer him.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jan 2, 2011 -> 12:22 PM)
Because the market for middle to back of the rotation starters doesn't dry up early in FA, it probably gets stronger later in FA once the high-priced options are off the market and teams start realizing that they don't have enough pitching.

The longer Freddy remains unsigned, the less likely he is to get $5 million.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jan 2, 2011 -> 01:31 PM)
And the market has borne that out over recent history. Once the new year hits, the money starts dropping quickly.

I think Jhonny Damon is a decent comparable, for how things went last year. He held out and wasn't getting good offers in December, but around the end of January, the teams who wanted to compete but were missing a DH started getting in on him, rather than getting stuck going into the season with something worthless as their everyday DH.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jan 2, 2011 -> 12:32 PM)
I think Jhonny Damon is a decent comparable, for how things went last year. He held out and wasn't getting good offers in December, but around the end of January, the teams who wanted to compete but were missing a DH started getting in on him, rather than getting stuck going into the season with something worthless as their everyday DH.

Totally different situations, and Damon was looking for a lot more than $5 million. He wound up getting lucky to find himself in a bidding war between Detroit and the Sox and it bumped his paycheck. It doesn't appear anyone is on the must have Freddy list. I'd be shocked if he gets more than $2 million guaranteed.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jan 2, 2011 -> 01:31 PM)
And the market has borne that out over recent history. Once the new year hits, the money starts dropping quickly.

Everyone is waiting for Pavano to sign, then the dominos will start falling again.

QUOTE (iamshack @ Jan 2, 2011 -> 02:17 PM)
Everyone is waiting for Pavano to sign, then the dominos will start falling again.

The other part of that is...the obvious landing place if it wasn't for history for Pavano would be the Yankees, and that would probably already be done. But no one really knows how to evaluate the market for him without the Yankees involved, and so that makes all the other #4 starting pitchers able to say that the Yankees have interest.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jan 2, 2011 -> 01:30 PM)
The other part of that is...the obvious landing place if it wasn't for history for Pavano would be the Yankees, and that would probably already be done. But no one really knows how to evaluate the market for him without the Yankees involved, and so that makes all the other #4 starting pitchers able to say that the Yankees have interest.

Yes, very true. The Yankees don't have the will to sign Pavano right now, and I doubt Pavano even wants to go back there anyways, now that he already has a bunch of their money.

Let's say you can find a team (Oakland?) that will take Teahen's $4.75M in 2011 in full if you throw in Thompson and are willing to eat at least $3.5M of the $5.5M owed to him in 2012. Assuming you could then afford to sign Soriano to something like 2/$18M ($6M in 2011, $10M in 2012, $10M TO w/ $2M buyout in 2013) would you do it? Because I would.

QUOTE (Kenny Hates Prospects @ Jan 2, 2011 -> 08:34 PM)
Let's say you can find a team (Oakland?) that will take Teahen's $4.75M in 2011 in full if you throw in Thompson and are willing to eat at least $3.5M of the $5.5M owed to him in 2012. Assuming you could then afford to sign Soriano to something like 2/$18M ($6M in 2011, $10M in 2012, $10M TO w/ $2M buyout in 2013) would you do it? Because I would.

Nope. I don't want to trade Thompson in a package for a reliever, even if it is Soriano, especially since we are eating money already.

QUOTE (Kenny Hates Prospects @ Jan 2, 2011 -> 07:34 PM)

Wouldn't include Thompson and Cash.

I doubt Soriano settles for an incentive-based deal, he's coming off two healthy seasons, right? Maybe he'd take a reasonable 1-year deal ($8M?) to close for a contender and try the FA market again next year, but still seems like a long shot.

Edited by bighurt574

QUOTE (GO CHI SOX! @ Jan 2, 2011 -> 01:54 AM)
there seems to be interest in a rafael soriano/@OzzieGuillen pairing. but word thus far is, #chisox have little if any $ left

#chisox pen not bad w/ sale, thornton, santos, crain, pena. but soriano would be fine jenks replacement -- if they find $

http://twitter.com/#!/SI_JonHeyman

interesting...

I know teams have budgets to consider, but everytime we hear about a player seeming to show or get interest from the Sox we get the inevitable "the Sox have no money" yet they sign have signed players for quite a bit. If we want to win and need that one more relief pitcher then maybe this is possible. I wouldn't dismiss it out of hand

QUOTE (elrockinMT @ Jan 3, 2011 -> 12:57 PM)
I know teams have budgets to consider, but everytime we hear about a player seeming to show or get interest from the Sox we get the inevitable "the Sox have no money" yet they sign have signed players for quite a bit. If we want to win and need that one more relief pitcher then maybe this is possible. I wouldn't dismiss it out of hand

I think it's just the numbers that make people dismiss it. Closers who stay healthy for a couple years and put up the kind of numbers he put up last year have this habit of getting mutli-year, $10 million a year deals, nd it seems crazy to think of the Sox giving that to a relief pitcher.

If he's genuinely dropping into the 2 year, $6-$8 million range, or less, then that's bargain-basement money for an established closer.