Rafael Soriano signs with Yankees

prochisox

• Replies 221
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Jenksy Cat @ Jan 5, 2011 -> 11:00 AM)
No it's not...not until Hudson proves he can pitch (and no, 2 months last year doesn't prove anything).

Dan Haren didn't even yield anything close to the talent Hudson is. How the hell did Edwin Jackson? It's evident Kenny overpaid.

QUOTE (chw42 @ Jan 5, 2011 -> 12:05 PM)
Dan Haren didn't even yield anything close to the talent Hudson is. How the hell did Edwin Jackson? It's evident Kenny overpaid.

I'm still dumbfounded that he threw in Holmberg and that no salary relief was involved at all in the deal.

QUOTE (chw42 @ Jan 5, 2011 -> 12:05 PM)

The Dan Haren trade was an outlier of a deal and comparing it to the Jackson deal is ridiculous.

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Jan 5, 2011 -> 01:57 PM)
The Dan Haren trade was an outlier of a deal and comparing it to the Jackson deal is ridiculous.

The same GM completed both trades. I don't think it's ridiculous to look at what the Angels gave up for a far superior pitcher.

QUOTE (chw42 @ Jan 5, 2011 -> 03:55 PM)
The same GM completed both trades. I don't think it's ridiculous to look at what the Angels gave up for a far superior pitcher.

They are still two very separate deals, with the Haren trade being the first deal he made.

Williams overpaid, but jesus christ, it happened almost 6 months ago. Why is this still even being discussed? It's f***ing pointless and aggrivating.

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Jan 5, 2011 -> 03:58 PM)
Williams overpaid, but jesus christ, it happened almost 6 months ago. Why is this still even being discussed? It's f***ing pointless and aggravating.

That.

We have everything to be excited about in 2011, but now Dan Hudson is the new Chris Young.

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Jan 5, 2011 -> 03:58 PM)
They are still two very separate deals, with the Haren trade being the first deal he made.

Williams overpaid, but jesus christ, it happened almost 6 months ago. Why is this still even being discussed? It's f***ing pointless and aggrivating.

It's being brought up again because it's been proven that KW made the trade with the sole goal of landing Dunn. And not the BS that he made up about they really liked him and Coop wanting him.

Jackson is/was better than Hudson was last year. We were going for the division win last year.

Jackson will most likely be better than Hudson this year. We are trying to win the division this year.

Pretty simple to me. He didn't trade f***ing Nolan Ryan away, he traded a pitcher with 30 ML innings under his belt. I give KW the benefit of the doubt every time, and still will until Hudson becomes a legit top of the rotation starter. The number times he's fleeced organizations vastly outweighs the number of "OMG we traded away the greatest prospect of allllll time" trades.

QUOTE (Jenksy Cat @ Jan 5, 2011 -> 07:18 PM)
Jackson is/was better than Hudson was last year. We were going for the division win last year.

Jackson will most likely be better than Hudson this year. We are trying to win the division this year.

Pretty simple to me. He didn't trade f***ing Nolan Ryan away, he traded a pitcher with 30 ML innings under his belt. I give KW the benefit of the doubt every time, and still will until Hudson becomes a legit top of the rotation starter. The number times he's fleeced organizations vastly outweighs the number of "OMG we traded away the greatest prospect of allllll time" trades.

On no planet was Jackson better than Hudson last year. Jackson has never had an 11-start run like Hudson did last year. And before you go into the AL/NL crap. Check the teams each pitcher faced after the trade and tell me who pitched against tougher teams. Hint, it wasn't Jackson.

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ Jan 5, 2011 -> 10:18 PM)
On no planet was Jackson better than Hudson last year. Jackson has never had an 11-start run like Hudson did last year. And before you go into the AL/NL crap. Check the teams each pitcher faced after the trade and tell me who pitched against tougher teams. Hint, it wasn't Jackson.

Oh my goodness.

QUOTE (Pale Sox @ Jan 5, 2011 -> 09:30 PM)
It's still the Holmberg part that bugs me the most, purely out of principle.

I totally agree. That's the part of the deal that bothers me too. We didn't get any money in return, AND we had to give up another player. I don't mind Jackson/Hudson swap, but to give up extra parts w/ no salary relief sucks.

QUOTE (JoeCoolMan24 @ Jan 6, 2011 -> 01:19 AM)
I totally agree. That's the part of the deal that bothers me too. We didn't get any money in return, AND we had to give up another player. I don't mind Jackson/Hudson swap, but to give up extra parts w/ no salary relief sucks.

Well I mean Hudson for Jackson straight up was bad enough IMO, but the fact we had to add a decent SP prospect to a trade that was already heavy in the other team's favour, especially in a system devoid of LHS prospects...that's just rubbing salt in the wound. Ugh.

Either way, what's done is done, and I'm optimistic about Jackson's 2011. I just wish it wasn't so expensive and wasn't just a one-year return. Even if he has a good year, is he Type-A material? I doubt it. If he was, it would hurt much less.

I also remember when I interviewed for the Jays (pre-2009 draft) they asked me about an amateur pitcher I liked, and my answer was Holmberg. That adds a little sentimental value on my end, admittedly.

Edited by Pale Sox

QUOTE (Pale Sox @ Jan 6, 2011 -> 12:28 AM)
Well I mean Hudson for Jackson straight up was bad enough IMO, but the fact we had to add a decent SP prospect to a trade that was already heavy in the other team's favour, especially in a system devoid of LHS prospects...that's just rubbing salt in the wound. Ugh.

Either way, what's done is done, and I'm optimistic about Jackson's 2011. I just wish it wasn't so expensive and wasn't just a one-year return. Even if he has a good year, is he Type-A material? I doubt it. If he was, it would hurt much less.

I also remember when I interviewed for the Jays (pre-2009 draft) they asked me about an amateur pitcher I liked, and my answer was Holmberg. That adds a little sentimental value on my end, admittedly.

$8.5M is really pretty cheap for Jackson. Last year, he put up a 3.8 WAR, which is worth about $15M. For comparison sake, Buehrle put up a 3.8 WAR last year, and was making $14M. All Jackson has to do, is put up a WAR of 1.9 next season to earn his contract, and considering he doubled that last year, he is fully capable of accomplishing that. Jackson at $8.5M or whatever he is making is actually a pretty good price, and to be a Type-A, I believe you have to finish in the top 20% in your league. For reference, Bronson Arroyo was considered a Type-A Free Agent, and he put up a 1.7 WAR. So I think the chances of Edwin earning Type-A status is actually pretty likely.

QUOTE (JoeCoolMan24 @ Jan 6, 2011 -> 01:43 AM)
$8.5M is really pretty cheap for Jackson. Last year, he put up a 3.8 WAR, which is worth about $15M. For comparison sake, Buehrle put up a 3.8 WAR last year, and was making $14M. All Jackson has to do, is put up a WAR of 1.9 next season to earn his contract, and considering he doubled that last year, he is fully capable of accomplishing that. Jackson at $8.5M or whatever he is making is actually a pretty good price, and to be a Type-A, I believe you have to finish in the top 20% in your league. For reference, Bronson Arroyo was considered a Type-A Free Agent, and he put up a 1.7 WAR. So I think the chances of Edwin earning Type-A status is actually pretty likely.

I agree that in a vacuum he has a reasonable price tag for 2011, but given the deal I just would prefer he was a better fiscal value. That would really make the deal much more tolerable for me (and again, I like Jackson).

As for the Elias rankings, Jackson was neither a Type A nor B coming into this upcoming season. He needs to have a big year to get up there (by traditional metrics).

QUOTE (JoeCoolMan24 @ Jan 6, 2011 -> 12:43 AM)

You must have missed his 2010 season then.

QUOTE (JoeCoolMan24 @ Jan 6, 2011 -> 12:43 AM)

And Hudson put up a 2.3 WAR in just 95 innings for, what, 450K. A full season's worth and there's no reason he couldn't sport a 4.0 WAR better. He's got the minor league pedigree and has dazzled in 12 of his 15 career starts.

Edited by Jordan4life