Rafael Soriano signs with Yankees

prochisox

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Jan 7, 2011 -> 01:59 AM)
As good as Soriano is, $10 million for 70 innings that won't be pitched in the 9th is ridiculous. You can talk about how much a reliever is worth with regards to WAR all day, but at the end of the day, relievers get paid for WPA, and paying that for a guy to pitch the 8th inning would result in virtually little return on investment. It'd basically be a $10 million insurance policy on Mo.

This is the first time we've agreed on something in months.

• Replies 221
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ Jan 7, 2011 -> 01:51 AM)
A $10 to $12 million dollar a year set-up man when you already have a closer making $15 million. So that's almost $30 million dedicated to two relievers. That would be fiscally irresponsible even for the Yankees and clearly a panic move to counter what the Red Sox have done.

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Jan 7, 2011 -> 01:59 AM)
As good as Soriano is, $10 million for 70 innings that won't be pitched in the 9th is ridiculous. You can talk about how much a reliever is worth with regards to WAR all day, but at the end of the day, relievers get paid for WPA, and paying that for a guy to pitch the 8th inning would result in virtually little return on investment. It'd basically be a $10 million insurance policy on Mo.

While I agree with everything there, it's the Yankees and their fiscal responsibility is a lot different than any other team. The fact that they have a horrific rotation right now means that their pen better be top-notch to compete. So while $10 million for a 70-inning set-up man is way too much, it would ensure them the best 1-2 bunch in baseball and certainly help them lockdown the end of games. But it is interesting to note that even the Yankees haven't paid up to Boras yet so maybe either they realize 1) they would be bidding against themselves, 2) he isn't as good as his stats indicate 3) they do realize that's a lot of money for a set-up man or 4) they have become more financially responsible. I am inclined to go with 1 right now.

Edited by maggsmaggs

I think Soriano's willingness to set up for the Yankees is all about money. If they didn't say that, eliminating the team that is probably willing and able to pay the most for his services, isn't exactly a bright move. Maybe this is where the Angels finally spend some money, but other than that, what team is going to pay him the money Boras wants besides the Yankees?

A $10 to $12 million dollar a year set-up man when you already have a closer making $15 million. So that's almost $30 million dedicated to two relievers. That would be fiscally irresponsible even for the Yankees and clearly a panic move to counter what the Red Sox have done.

I agree with your point, but I still think the Yankees are on such a different level financially, that the move wouldn't be irresponsible. Yeah its a panic move, but with their rotation and must-win mentality, it's what they might need to do. Having the best 8th & 9th inning combo in baseball isn't a bad thing.

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Jan 7, 2011 -> 07:38 AM)
I agree with your point, but I still think the Yankees are on such a different level financially, that the move wouldn't be irresponsible. Yeah its a panic move, but with their rotation and must-win mentality, it's what they might need to do. Having the best 8th & 9th inning combo in baseball isn't a bad thing.

Paying $10 million for a set up man is irresponsible. It takes 2 really bad and 6 other bad appearances all year to take an ERA from 1.73 to 3.73, and the WHIP can be just as bad too. And, considering that Soriano has had arm problems in the past as well, it's just simply not wise to spend $10 million on him unless you plan on having him close.

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Jan 7, 2011 -> 08:45 AM)
Paying $10 million for a set up man is irresponsible. It takes 2 really bad and 6 other bad appearances all year to take an ERA from 1.73 to 3.73, and the WHIP can be just as bad too. And, considering that Soriano has had arm problems in the past as well, it's just simply not wise to spend $10 million on him unless you plan on having him close.

Your numbers argument can also be made about closers, but I do agree $10 million is not a smart move for a set up man. As the previous post says, the Yankees agree cause they won't pay him that much.

If they did, it may be a dumb move, but I just wouldn't call it irresponsible, due to their financial resources and need to win every single year. They have the money to spend, if sometimes they have to make questionable moves, they have the ability to.

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Jan 7, 2011 -> 08:45 AM)

This is only true if you are paying based on peripheral numbers. The overall goal is to win games. If the rotation is suspect and they can't improve it, the only other option is to improve the bullpen to reduce the damage the starters can do.

Where the money is poorly spent is his health issues. If it's a deal more than 2 of years, odds are he will miss a good potion of it.

Fiscally responsible and the Yankees? HA!

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jan 7, 2011 -> 09:31 AM)
Fiscally responsible and the Yankees? HA!

Cashman's trying to play it stingy this off-season to non-returning and non-ultra important icon ex Yankees this year. He said he wouldn't give up his first round pick for Balfour, Soriano, or Pavano.

QUOTE (JoeCoolMan24 @ Jan 7, 2011 -> 02:24 PM)
So where is Soriano going? It appears he doesn't have too many options. I'm sure the Phillies would love to trade Blanton somewhere and pick up Soriano, because ever other team that has made sense appears to be "out of it"

He'll sign a 1 year deal with many of incentives here! For instance- X amount of saves and he'll earn an extra 2 million. IF he makes the all-star team he'll recieve X amount of dollars etc. .

I just have a feeling both parties will eventually find a middle ground and he'll sign here. He would be a PERFECT fit here. And once Peavy comes back you can throuh Sale in there as well.

Soriano CL

Thorton L SU

Crain R SU

Santos R MR

Ohman L MR

Pena- R LR

Infante R LR

Edited by GreatScott82

QUOTE (JoeCoolMan24 @ Jan 7, 2011 -> 02:24 PM)
So where is Soriano going? It appears he doesn't have too many options. I'm sure the Phillies would love to trade Blanton somewhere and pick up Soriano, because ever other team that has made sense appears to be "out of it"

I can't imagine the Phillies adding anymore to their payroll.

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ Jan 8, 2011 -> 10:49 AM)
I can't imagine the Phillies adding anymore to their payroll.

He would make that Philly team unstoppable. Their bullpen's mediocre right now. But if you add Soriano and put Lidge and Madson in setup roles, it would make that bullpen one of the better ones in the NL.

But yeah, they don't have the money. Perhaps if they trade Joe Blanton, they can offer him a deal.

QUOTE (justBLAZE @ Jan 8, 2011 -> 01:19 PM)
Latest from Heyman:

#yankees still in on soriano. #chisox pen looks good/full now. #angels could play for sori but need hitting even more

I would love to get him on a 1 year deal for 8-10 million, but the Sox never seemed to intersted, and the Yankees/Angels would probably be willing to give him 2 years.

QUOTE (spiderman @ Jan 9, 2011 -> 10:29 AM)
I would love to get him on a 1 year deal for 8-10 million, but the Sox never seemed to intersted, and the Yankees/Angels would probably be willing to give him 2 years.

you have to have that kind of coin in the piggy bank and it sounds like we've already exhausted most of it if not all of it

QUOTE (spiderman @ Jan 9, 2011 -> 09:29 AM)

I really doubt Soriano signs a two year deal. Its not Borass's style at all.