Rafael Soriano signs with Yankees

prochisox

• Replies 221
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jan 14, 2011 -> 07:57 AM)
Apparently both years 2 and 3 are player-option years, so Soriano can opt-out after year 1 if he thinks there's better money out there for him.

Which would be doubtful unless another foolish team desperately, and I mean desperately, needed a closer either year. I mean, who's going to offer him more than the nearly 12 million he's going to get over the next 3 years? Anyway, the Yankees appear to be in good shape when they have the lead after 6. Problem is that rotation is extremely suspect after Sabathia.

Pays to be a Scott Bora$$ client doesn't it.

Can't blame the Yankees for the move, we all know they have endless amounts of money to spend, and Soriano will argubly be the best set-up guy in the league for the next few years if he produces what he did in Tampa.

Shows how good we did to get a guy like Putz signed to the contract we did though last season.

I may be in the minority, but I like the signing. Did they overpay? f*** yeah. But you know what, it's the Yankees, if anyone can do that it's them. Their rotation sucks, and there is not much out there to help it get better. If that's the case, you might as well get a shut down bullpen if you can. They have no excuses to not win the WS every year, so they had to make a move like this. Plus, if Soriano likes it there, he could also be the closer after Mo Rivera retires.

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Jan 14, 2011 -> 08:20 AM)
I may be in the minority, but I like the signing. Did they overpay? f*** yeah. But you know what, it's the Yankees, if anyone can do that it's them. Their rotation sucks, and there is not much out there to help it get better. If that's the case, you might as well get a shut down bullpen if you can. They have no excuses to not win the WS every year, so they had to make a move like this. Plus, if Soriano likes it there, he could also be the closer after Mo Rivera retires.

It makes them 'slightly' better. But I mean, c'mon. One, you've got the injury history. And Soriano has never produced three good seasons in a row. Two, you lose two draft picks in which the upcoming draft is believed to be loaded for a guy you might get 150-175 innings out of over the life of the deal. And you can have a bullpen with multiple Mariano's. Starting pitching will always take precedent over relief pitchers. It's not even really close. And other than Sabathia, they're going to have troubles getting to the 'pen with leads consistently with that rotation. I don't think people realize how bad Burnett was last year and how Hughes really fell off a cliff the second half.

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ Jan 14, 2011 -> 09:36 AM)
It makes them 'slightly' better. But I mean, c'mon. One, you've got the injury history. And Soriano has never produced three good seasons in a row. Two, you lose two draft picks in which the upcoming draft is believed to be loaded for a guy you might get 150-175 innings out of over the life of the deal. And you can have a bullpen with multiple Mariano's. Starting pitching will always take precedent over relief pitchers. It's not even really close. And other than Sabathia, they're going to have troubles getting to the 'pen with leads consistently with that rotation. I don't think people realize how bad Burnett was last year and how Hughes really fell off a cliff the second half.

The Yankees only lose 1 draft pick in the upcoming draft. The Rays get 2 picks; the other pick they get is a "sandwich" pick, a compensatory pick created between the first and second rounds. Those picks only are created when an arb-offered player is signed by someone other than his team; they do not exist otherwise.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jan 14, 2011 -> 08:41 AM)
The Yankees only lose 1 draft pick in the upcoming draft. The Rays get 2 picks; the other pick they get is a "sandwich" pick, a compensatory pick created between the first and second rounds. Those picks only are created when an arb-offered player is signed by someone other than his team; they do not exist otherwise.

Ahh, I missed that. I'm forgetting Soriano was not offered arbitration. Still not worth the pick to me.

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ Jan 14, 2011 -> 08:36 AM)

This is absolutely true. The Yankees were stuck though because every starter they tried to get didn't work out. This deal was the best thing they could currently do to imporve the pitchining staff and win games.

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ Jan 14, 2011 -> 09:49 AM)
Ahh, I missed that. I'm forgetting Soriano was not offered arbitration. Still not worth the pick to me.

No, Soriano was offered arbitration, you're still not understanding the system.

The 2nd pick is magically created out of thin air.

Try the larger wikipedia entry if my discussion doesn't make sense.

Compensatory picks

Teams can earn Compensatory picks in the draft based on departing free agents. Free Agents are ranked by the Elias Sports Bureau based on their previous two years of playing, and against players of similar positions. Players are categorized as either Class A or Class B, or they fall into the category of all other players. Below is a description of each free agent class and the compensation the free agent's former team received when the player signs with a different team.

• A Class A free agent is ranked in the top 20 percent of players at his position. A team that signs a Type A player gives its top draft pick to the club that the player is leaving; that club also receives a supplemental pick in the "sandwich" round between the first and second rounds. [25]

• A Class B free agent is ranked below the top 20 percent but in the top 40 percent of players at his position. A team that loses a Type B player receives a supplemental pick, but the signing team does not lose a pick.[25]

• All other players carry no compensation at all. There had previously been a third class of "Type C" players, but that was eliminated in the most recent CBA.[25]

To earn a compensatory pick, a free agent must either be signed before the arbitration deadline in early December, or be offered arbitration by their former team but still sign with someone else.

Compensatory picks that one team gives another via this method are the highest available pick that team has, with the exception of picks in the top half of the first round. [26] These picks are protected from being used as compensation. If a team that picks in the top half of the first draft signs a Type A free agent, they would give up their second round pick. If a team owes two other teams draft picks via Type A free agents, the team whose departing player had a higher score gets the higher ranked pick. A team cannot lose picks it has earned via compensation.

The order of the supplemental round between the first and second rounds is determined by inverse order of the previous year's standings. All the Type A picks are done first, and then the order resets for all the Type B compensation picks.

Teams can also earn compensation for unsigned picks from the previous year's draft. If a team doesn't sign a first or second round pick, they will get to pick at the same slot plus one the following year. For example, if the team with the #5 pick does not sign that player, they would have the #6 pick the following year. The regular draft order would continue around those picks. For compensation for not signing a third round pick, teams would get a pick in a supplemental round between the third and fourth rounds. If a team fails to sign a player with one of these compensated picks, there is no compensation the following year.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jan 14, 2011 -> 08:54 AM)
No, Soriano was offered arbitration, you're still not understanding the system.

The 2nd pick is magically created out of thin air.

Wait, s***. Damn. So it's the second pick that confuses my ass. Now I got you.

I got you Balta. I'm tired as f*** and didn't get much sleep. I really did know that. Just got confused for a second.

Edited by Jordan4life

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ Jan 14, 2011 -> 08:36 AM)

The injury history is a great concern. They have gotten hurt in the past with big pitcher contracts and injuries. I guess its just something they are willing to risk with the situation they are in.

I don't think draft picks really concern the Yankees too much. They need to win now, not worry about getting a young player who may or may not even make the majors in 3-4 years. By that time, they will just buy the next hotshot FA anyway.

I completely realize how awful their rotation is. But there is no else out there that is really any good to help them, other than Pettitte, who they are waiting on. I am sure they will sign a guy or two thats left off the scrap heap, but this signing doesn't affect their ability to do that. Like I said, if your rotation sucks and there's not much you can do about it, you might as well make sure your bullpen is lock down and doesn't blow the leads you do have. And if they do make the playoffs, playing them suddenly turns into a 6 inning game.

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Jan 14, 2011 -> 09:02 AM)
The injury history is a great concern. They have gotten hurt in the past with big pitcher contracts and injuries. I guess its just something they are willing to risk with the situation they are in.

I don't think draft picks really concern the Yankees too much. They need to win now, not worry about getting a young player who may or may not even make the majors in 3-4 years. By that time, they will just buy the next hotshot FA anyway.

I completely realize how awful their rotation is. But there is no else out there that is really any good to help them, other than Pettitte, who they are waiting on. I am sure they will sign a guy or two thats left off the scrap heap, but this signing doesn't affect their ability to do that. Like I said, if your rotation sucks and there's not much you can do about it, you might as well make sure your bullpen is lock down and doesn't blow the leads you do have. And if they do make the playoffs, playing them suddenly turns into a 6 inning game.

I'm just saying if this draft is as good as we're hearing, and I realize it could be all hype, then the Yankees could obviously get a pretty nice player, especially with their ability to go overslot anytime they feel like it. I get your point of view. I think Soriano would mean a lot more to a team not the Yankees as a closer than to the Yankees as a set-up man. Either way I still consider this a panic move and a complete contradiction from what Cashman said earlier in the week or last week.

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ Jan 14, 2011 -> 09:08 AM)
I'm just saying if this draft is as good as we're hearing, and I realize it could be all hype, then the Yankees could obviously get a pretty nice player, especially with their ability to go overslot anytime they feel like it. I get your point of view. I think Soriano would mean a lot more to a team not the Yankees as a closer than to the Yankees as a set-up man. Either way I still consider this a panic move and a complete contradiction from what Cashman said earlier in the week or last week.

I don't hold draft picks in as high regard as you do, but I will agree giving up a first round pick for an ace/slugger like Lee/Dunn makes way more sense than giving one up for a setup guy with injury history. I agree thats its a panic move, but I still don't mind it.

The Yankees are such a different animal too, its hard to analyze their moves as compared to the normal baseball landscape. Obviously, they have more financial resources than any other team, but they also have more pressure to win the WS every year than any other team. You always have to keep those two things in mind. For any other team, I wouldn't like this move at all, but IMO it does make some sense for the Yankees.

Edited by LittleHurt05

Not sure if this has been mentioned, but sounds like there was a split in the Yankees org about the signing of Soriano.

Confirmed: There was a split of opinion in NYY front office on signing of Soriano. More ownership-driven deal than from baseball operations. - Buster Olney

QUOTE (iamshack @ Jan 2, 2011 -> 03:00 AM)
Soriano is interested in any team worth a damn right now because the market for relievers has dried up for the most part.

His best shot is LAA or NYY, two teams that actually have some $ left to spend.

You called it. Now what does this mean to Mariano Rivera? Maybe a plan for the future by the Yanks?

QUOTE (Harry Chappas @ Jan 3, 2011 -> 05:21 PM)
1 year $10M is all in. The bullpen, rotation and line-up would each be top 5 in all of baseball in my mid.

Sale would be a LOOGY/spot starter for when Peavy is on the DL. There is no way he can not be in the pen for the season as of right now.

I fear a heavy reliance on Tony Pena coming up.

I fear Tony Pena being on this team period.

QUOTE (elrockinMT @ Jan 15, 2011 -> 11:49 AM)
You called it. Now what does this mean to Mariano Rivera? Maybe a plan for the future by the Yanks?

This means Rivera doesn't have to pitch the 8th inning, and if he ever gets hurt the Yankees have a backup plan. He'll be their Closer as long as his body holds up as their closer.