2011 HOF is Roberto Alomar and Bert Blyleven.

southsider2k5

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (PlaySumFnJurny @ Jan 5, 2011 -> 01:38 PM)
In a world where Barry Larkin gets 62% of the vote, that's not an impossibility.

Except that Larkin was ridiculously good, whereas Dewayne Wise was a bit player who made a great catch and was one of Ozzie Guillen's toys.

QUOTE (Athomeboy_2000 @ Jan 5, 2011 -> 01:45 PM)
the 2012 ballot will be a suckfest, so it's possible that Larkin gets in.

Probably. I consider him very good, but not great. However, his numbers best a lot of other just very good shortstops who are already in. I'm kind of a HOF hardass, though. I think it should be much more exclusive than it is.

QUOTE (PlaySumFnJurny @ Jan 5, 2011 -> 01:52 PM)
Probably. I consider him very good, but not great. However, his numbers best a lot of other just very good shortstops who are already in. I'm kind of a HOF hardass, though. I think it should be much more exclusive than it is.

I agree with you on that last point. What's sad is that there should be a lot of really good players (Barry Bonds, Sammy Sosa, Mark McGwire, Rafael Palmeiro, Roger Clemens) going in over the next 2-3 years, but they wont because they chose to roid up. (Ok, Sosa wouldnt have been nearly as good with the roids)

I think I am going to plan a trip to Cooperstown in 2014 to see the Big hurt and Maddux inducted.

Edited by Athomeboy_2000

I can't find the full ballot result anywhere yet - if anyone spots it, a link would be awesome.

I would like to have seen Morris and Murphy get in, but definitely agree on the two that did.

Also, I looked at the ESPN ballot - the 18 ESPN staff who get to vote. Barry Stanton, a news editor on the site, did not vote for either who got in. Who he did vote for: Morris, Edgar Martinez, Tino Martinez, and BJ Surhoff. Buh?

OK ESPN has the list up now...

Baines got 28 votes, which I believe is 4.82%. So, he now drops off the list.

The players who got sustaining level votes:

Roberto Alomar 523 90.0

Bert Blyleven 463 79.7

Barry Larkin 361 62.1

Jack Morris 311 53.5

Lee Smith 263 45.3

Jeff Bagwell 242 41.7

Tim Raines 218 37.5

Edgar Martinez 191 32.9

Alan Trammell 141 24.3

Larry Walker 118 20.3

Mark McGwire 115 19.8

Fred McGriff 104 17.9

Dave Parker 89 15.3

Don Mattingly 79 13.6

Dale Murphy 73 12.6

Rafael Palmeiro 64 11.0

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Jan 5, 2011 -> 01:48 PM)
Except that Larkin was ridiculously good, whereas Dewayne Wise was a bit player who made a great catch and was one of Ozzie Guillen's toys.

Other than the year he won it, Larkin finished in the top 10 in MVP voting (7th) just one other time in his career. He was one of the greatest shortstops of his era, no doubt, and as I stated above, he's probably better than several SS's who are already in. However, for position players, I think the HOF should be reserved for guys who consistently dominated their league, regardless of position. He wouldn't get my vote.

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Jan 5, 2011 -> 01:57 PM)
I can't find the full ballot result anywhere yet - if anyone spots it, a link would be awesome.

I would like to have seen Morris and Murphy get in, but definitely agree on the two that did.

Also, I looked at the ESPN ballot - the 18 ESPN staff who get to vote. Barry Stanton, a news editor on the site, did not vote for either who got in. Who he did vote for: Morris, Edgar Martinez, Tino Martinez, and BJ Surhoff. Buh?

BJ Surhoff?????????????

QUOTE (PlaySumFnJurny @ Jan 5, 2011 -> 01:52 PM)

It's already the most exclusive Hall that there is. I think it'd be harder for it to get more exclusive. You have to let some players in, and some of them will be borderline.

QUOTE (Athomeboy_2000 @ Jan 5, 2011 -> 01:55 PM)
I think I am going to plan a trip to Cooperstown in 2014 to see the Big hurt and Maddux inducted.

I'm hoping to go then as well. I was there once before, but was too young to remember it all.