Gorzelanny, anyone?

chw42

Since the Cubs have an extra starter in their rotation now, it might be possible to steal one away from them. I'm looking at Tom Gorzelanny.

He's cheap, he's versatile, and he was pretty damn good last year. It seems like the Cubs don't like him all that much. He was dangled at the trade deadline last year, but for whatever reason, he stayed put.

Gorzo can slot into the 5th spot in the rotation until Peavy returns. When Peavy returns, he can be the long or left handed middle reliever in the bullpen. It's a move that makes a lot of sense. He won't make more than a couple million this year and is arb-eligible for either two or three more seasons.

As for who to send to the Cubs...at the most, you probably give away somebody like Santos Rodriguez. At the least, a couple of raw A or AA players.

Gorzelanny's numbers last year: 136.1 INN, 4.09 ERA, 3.92 FIP.

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ Jan 7, 2011 -> 01:42 PM)
Don't we have Pena [gulp] to fill this role? And I hate Pena.

We're kind of short in the bullpen right now. Plus, Gorzelanny's an actual starter. Pena's just an emergency one.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jan 7, 2011 -> 01:44 PM)
I'd much rather have Sale in the 5th starter's spot than Gorzelanny until Peavy returns, both as a better starter and for his future development.

Then you lose one of your best bullpen arms for a month or two.

QUOTE (chw42 @ Jan 7, 2011 -> 02:45 PM)
Then you lose one of your best bullpen arms for a month or two.

If Sale only pitches 70 innings this year, I'm going to think it's a serious step back in his development. I really want him to be in the rotation for at least part of the season, if only to try to keep the innings he works up. He's hit 160 innings each of the last 2 years, but those were in the minors; a normal bullpen load for him would be a real step backwards in building his arm into a major league pitcher's arm.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jan 7, 2011 -> 01:55 PM)
If Sale only pitches 70 innings this year, I'm going to think it's a serious step back in his development. I really want him to be in the rotation for at least part of the season, if only to try to keep the innings he works up. He's hit 160 innings each of the last 2 years, but those were in the minors; a normal bullpen load for him would be a real step backwards in building his arm into a major league pitcher's arm.

This is where you need to weigh what's best for the player and what's best for the team.

The best thing for his development and long term value would be to get him some starts.

The best thing for the team this year is to put him in the pen.

Unless the Sox think his future is the pen, I would get him ready to start in the Spring and then see what you need when the season begins.

What'd Gorzellany making in 2011? $1M+? Meh. He's cheap, but I'd rather get a bullpen arm. I'd love for the Sox to get Jeff Samardzija with the Cubs kicking most of the money, and use Samardzija in the pen as a long reliever/spot starter with Sale in AAA starting. But most of this has to do with me being a huge Notre Dame fan and being friends with the Samardzija family.

Edited by JoeCoolMan24

QUOTE (JoeCoolMan24 @ Jan 7, 2011 -> 02:20 PM)
What'd Gorzellany making in 2011? $1M+? Meh. He's cheap, but I'd rather get a bullpen arm. I'd love for the Sox to get Jeff Samardzija with the Cubs kicking most of the money, and use Samardzija in the pen as a long reliever/spot starter with Sale in AAA starting. But most of this has to do with me being a huge Notre Dame fan and being friends with the Samardzija family.

Gorzelanny made 800K last year. He won't make more than $2 million, I think.

Edited by chw42

QUOTE (elrockinMT @ Jan 7, 2011 -> 03:38 PM)
How about Freddie Garcia again?

if he wants to be a starter, he's likely to spend 2/3 of the season in the bullpen with us...and if he gets used as a starter for 1-2 months waiting for Peavy, that makes Sale have to go to the bullpen. And he's also not left handed, which is a real need for us if Thornton spends time as the closer.

• 2 weeks later...
QUOTE (JoeCoolMan24 @ Jan 17, 2011 -> 02:22 PM)
Only have seen 1 name the Cubs are getting back, but it's 22-year-old lefty OF Michael Burgess who put up some pretty impressive numbers in AA. I think the Cubs are going to win big in this deal.

Not really. Only 87 of Burgess' 529 PAs last year came in AA. I doubt the other two prospects are much of anything. You don't gut your farm for Tom Gorzelanny.

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ Jan 17, 2011 -> 03:31 PM)
Not really. Only 87 of Burgess' 529 PAs last year came in AA. I doubt the other two prospects are much of anything. You don't gut your farm for Tom Gorzelanny.

Ok, fine, he put up pretty impressive numbers are A+ and AA last year as a 21-year-old. Guy looks legit.

.781 OPS and was repeating High-A. Not a good contact rate, good walk rate, a little bit of power...he looks like a marginal prospect, perhaps a guy that could develop into a starter or left handed platoon mate at some point down the road, but hardly anything exciting.