Congresswoman Gabrielle Giffords shot in head

Balta1701

QUOTE (Jenksismyb**** @ Jan 11, 2011 -> 12:47 PM)
Agree and disagree.

My issue was the speed at which these issues were brought up (hours afterwards) which i still maintain were brought about purely as an opportunity to s*** on Palin even more.

These issues should always be reviewed, and I get that this is a national tragedy with great exposure. But I don't want people going over the top with it. I don't want people to make extreme conclusions like "see this is why all guns should be illegal" or even worse "we should make some speech illegal." Why are we letting a crazy person dictate our lives like that?

Eh i really don't think about stuff like this, the imaginary silence window where I can't say everything I want to say about people I don't know for an undetermined amount of time. I am the asshole, who 5 minutes after I found out Gaines Adams died, I was saying "holy s***, as if it wasn't enough of a wasted pick." Why not? It's true, I didn't know him, wasn't talking to anybody that knew him, and the only reason he's relevant to my life is that he played on my favorite football team.

• Replies 662
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jan 11, 2011 -> 01:42 PM)
If it is true that this shooter has genuine psychological issues...and is perhaps a legitimate psychotic...I doubt that there are very many parents anywhere who would understand how to recognize the development of those problems as the shooter was growing up, and even fewer who would be able to provide the necessary treatment on their own. These sort of legitimate mental breakdown issues are the sort that it's hard for everyday people to recognize, even harder for people who are close to them every day.

Even still, he was 22 years old. The most that could happen is he gets taken for evaluation for 24 hours, 72 at most, and unless he is some imminent danger he'd be released. A lot of psychological issues can be treated with medication or therapy but it costs $$ usually for years or the person's entire life so even if they'd identified that when he was a kid, and he was in some kind of program, he'd be dropped back into society as soon as the money runs out since we have no national healthcare system. (last part of that not meant to be a political statement, just a statement of fact)

QUOTE (MuckFinnesota @ Jan 11, 2011 -> 11:00 PM)
Why can't we focus to the news at hand instead of making this about some political thing that doesn't really exist?

There have been approximately 130 posts in this thread explaining why politics is being brought up as a result of this tragedy.

Here, start with this.

Edited by BigSqwert

Palin's labeled the media's response as "blood libel."

f*** the heck?

Also, irony:

Journalists and pundits should not manufacture a blood libel that serves only to incite the very hatred and violence they purport to condemn. That is reprehensible.

hmmm

Politicians should not manufacture an ad that serves only to incite the very hatred and violence they purport to condemn. That is reprehensible.

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Jan 12, 2011 -> 09:02 AM)
Well obviously her precise choice of words is stupid, as she tends to do. But her overall point is both valid and self-deprecating (though she doesn't seem to realize the last part).

Her overall point is to paint herself as a victim, hence the use of comparing what's happening to her to centuries of Jewish persecution/murder. It's absurd.

QUOTE (lostfan @ Jan 11, 2011 -> 09:59 PM)
Even still, he was 22 years old. The most that could happen is he gets taken for evaluation for 24 hours, 72 at most, and unless he is some imminent danger he'd be released. A lot of psychological issues can be treated with medication or therapy but it costs $$ usually for years or the person's entire life so even if they'd identified that when he was a kid, and he was in some kind of program, he'd be dropped back into society as soon as the money runs out since we have no national healthcare system. (last part of that not meant to be a political statement, just a statement of fact)

Not just as an indictment of the health care system...this post is an accurate indictment of the mental health system in this country. It's basically "go be homeless" for most of them. Arizona, for example, cut expenditures on mental health by 1/3 last year alone.

An aide to Rep. Dan Burton (R-Ind.) tells CBS News that the Indiana Republican plans to introduce legislation next week that would encase the House Gallery in "a transparent and substantial material" such as Plexiglas that would keep members of the public from being able to throw explosives or make other attacks on members on the House floor.

Burton has introduced similar legislation in the past. It reads in part, "The Architect of the Capitol shall enclose the visitors' galleries of the House of Representatives with a transparent and substantial material, and shall install equipment so that the proceedings on the floor of the House of Representatives will be clearly audible in the galleries."

I say they should wait until they can make it out of tranparent aluminum.

Debbie Scheidemantel, the adjunct professor at Pima Community College who called the cops to have Jared Loughner removed from her classroom last year, told The Early Show that when she first heard the description of the suspect in the shootings in Tucson that claimed six lives and critically wounded Rep. Gabrielle Giffords (D-AZ), she thought of Loughner.

Scheidemantel described the events that led to her call to the police and have Loughner removed from her classroom.

Loughner failed to bring a homework assignment to class and, along with a student in a similar situation, was told he would only get half credit. Loughner objected and, she said, "He pointed at the flag and the Constitution up at the front of the room and said that I was taking away his freedom of speech, that I was taking away his individual rights, that it was unconstitutional. He was saying that he's paying me and therefore I'm taking away his freedom of speech if I don't give him full credit."

Scheidemantel calmed him down and said they could speak during the break, after which she began the class. But Loughner raised his hand shortly thereafter and requested to do the homework assignment during the break and turn it in after class. When she denied his request, he began to rant again and Scheidemantel alerted the university and called 911 from another room.

The officers removed Loughner from the classroom, and Scheidemantel didn't see him again until she saw him on the news last weekend.

Link

Link

A U.S. flag that flew atop the World Trade Center is on its way to Arizona to be displayed at the funeral of the girl killed in Saturday's shooting spree who was born on 9/11.

The Arizona Republic reports the 20-by-30-foot flag was the largest to have survived the collapse of the twin towers.

Nine-year-old Christina Taylor Green was born the day the towers fell and will be laid to rest Thursday in Tucson.

She and five others were killed Saturday in a shooting that wounded 13 others, including U.S. Rep. Gabrielle Giffords.

A spokesman for the foundation that displays the flag around the country says it's with a New York firefighter who hopes to arrive Wednesday, depending on the storm in the Northeast.

Salon vs. Salon: Violence and the Political Climate.

Everyone understands that Jared Loughner, the 22-year-old who tried to assassinate Gabrielle Giffords over the weekend (and who did kill six others), is a madman -- and that he is the sole person directly responsible for the carnage in Tucson, Ariz. But a debate has sprung up over whether some right-wing leaders may have, through overheated rhetoric and antics these past few years, helped create a climate that tipped Loughner over the edge.

Alex Pareene, a senior writer at Salon, believes there may be something to this; Steve Kornacki, Salon's politics editor, sees it as a backdoor effort by some on the left to attach blame to Sarah Palin and the Tea Party without any meaningful evidence. They discussed their clashing interpretations in an instant messenger conversation.

Edited by StrangeSox