Congresswoman Gabrielle Giffords shot in head

Balta1701

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jan 8, 2011 -> 05:36 PM)
I'd say it differently. I'd say that if a political figure going to use gun imagery in a campaign against a person, and then at some point that person gets shot...some people will try to blame her regardless of whether or not she's at fault (and those people should be criticized)...while others will just think she looks like a complete jackass.

At this point, I'm not going to go any farther than thinking she looks like a complete jackass...Like a person making a totally inappropriate joke about someone who really got hurt. I think you have to be really careful about how you try to assign blame for words in these cases, because it's so hard to really interpret the thoughts of a person who would do something like this.

I think the point is that there are some people that are really unintelligent and listen to the political talk and take it as gospel. Is Palin or Rush to blame, no but the over the top one sided view causes those that are not bright enough to understand that there is an other side to react irrationally.

• Replies 662
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Harry Chappas @ Jan 8, 2011 -> 05:46 PM)
I think the point is that there are some people that are really unintelligent and listen to the political talk and take it as gospel. Is Palin or Rush to blame, no but the over the top one sided view causes those that are not bright enough to understand that there is an other side to react irrationally.

Rush Limbaugh doesn't seem relevant in this case at all. The guy is burning US flags and calling the US a terrorist country in his Youtube clips. I guess if anything you could blame MSNBC. But that would be stupid as well.

QUOTE (Reddy @ Jan 8, 2011 -> 05:32 PM)
i'm not saying she encouraged it, i'm not saying he did it because of political motivations, and it's not just Sarah Palin, but the fearmongering that goes on and the calls to action using gun imagery, etc eventually creates an environment in which these things will happen.

The sadder thing is that bodies aren't even cold yet, and people are already trying to spin this for political gain.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jan 8, 2011 -> 08:28 PM)
The sadder thing is that bodies aren't even cold yet, and people are already trying to spin this for political gain.

1) that's certainly not SADDER than the fact that it occurred in the first place

2) this isn't for political GAIN, it's saying that the kind of inflammatory rhetoric that's spewed on FOX news, MSNBC and wherever the f*** else is dangerous because stupid people will take it seriously and act on it. It just so happens that the Right is much more guilty of this than the left. (regarding violent rhetoric. also the right doesn't favor gun control thus.........)

QUOTE (Reddy @ Jan 8, 2011 -> 07:31 PM)
1) that's certainly not SADDER than the fact that it occurred in the first place

2) this isn't for political GAIN, it's saying that the kind of inflammatory rhetoric that's spewed on FOX news, MSNBC and wherever the f*** else is dangerous because stupid people will take it seriously and act on it. It just so happens that the Right is much more guilty of this than the left. (regarding violent rhetoric. also the right doesn't favor gun control thus.........)

If it isn't for political gain, why the hell is most of this thread about politics instead of the dead people or families destroyed by this? Give the agenda a rest for a few minutes and think about that.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jan 8, 2011 -> 07:28 PM)

Thank you. There is a 9-year old girl, who was probably walking with one of her parents at the grocery store, dead because of this wacko, and everyone just seems to care whose fault is.

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Jan 8, 2011 -> 07:51 PM)
Thank you. There is a 9-year old girl, who was probably walking with one of her parents at the grocery store, dead because of this wacko, and everyone just seems to care whose fault is.

There will plenty of time to assign blame, trust me. It just is disgusting to see both sides already trying to label the guy as right and left wing, and finding specific people and outlets to blame. As of today, who cares? If you want to do something, pray for the dead and the families. They need that more than anything right now.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jan 8, 2011 -> 07:58 PM)
There will plenty of time to assign blame, trust me. It just is disgusting to see both sides already trying to label the guy as right and left wing, and finding specific people and outlets to blame. As of today, who cares? If you want to do something, pray for the dead and the families. They need that more than anything right now.

Exactly. Now there are rumors the gunman may not have acted alone, lets find those bastards. He's not saying anything, invoking his 5th amendment right.

QUOTE (Reddy @ Jan 8, 2011 -> 08:31 PM)

Absolutely putting this shooting spree aside, statements like this President "is hell-bent on weakening America" or "we need to take our country back"--as if the country has been hijacked by some nefarious cabal--should bring greater debate about whether these statements are taken seriously by anybody or if they are relegated to mere partisan rhetoric to achieve electoral success.

I beg all of you to not turn this into a Digg/Reddit, left vs right, Palin and Fox news cause all of our problems (and this one) festival of stupid.

I already see some of you leaning that way, and you're smarter/better than that. At least, you should be.

Don't make an act of criminal insanity a political soap box for your opinions, because it makes you a piece of garbage when you do.

And I don't care if you agree with me on this or not.

Seriously.

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Jan 8, 2011 -> 09:02 PM)
Exactly. Now there are rumors the gunman may not have acted alone, lets find those bastards. He's not saying anything, invoking his 5th amendment right.

The Police are searching for a person of interest, a white male in his 50's.

A few more details from the sheriff's press conference while some of us are watching sports...the Judge had just stopped by casually.

Eleven others were wounded and six are dead, among them, Arizona Supreme Court Judge John Rolls, a friend of Giffords who had stopped by the event to say hello after attending mass, Pima County Sheriff Clarence Dupnik said.

A nine-year-old girl is also dead.

While speaking to the press , the sheriff lamented "the vitriolic rhetoric" in political discourse, suggesting it played a role in the shooting.

"This has not become the nice United States of America that most of us grew up in and I think its time we do the soul-searching," he said.

"The anger, the hatred the bigotry that goes on in this country is getting to be outrageous and unfortunately, Arizona has become the capitol. We have become the mecca of prejudice and bigotry."

The army today also stated that he had applied for the army but was rejected, and would not say why citing privacy law.

Jared Loughner, may you burn in hell. Hope you get life in prison followed up by the death penalty in your later years. Let's hope the police find the other person that acted with him.

Gabrielle Giffords, hope you make it and live to tell your story. :pray

QUOTE (Y2HH @ Jan 8, 2011 -> 10:54 PM)
I beg all of you to not turn this into a Digg/Reddit, left vs right, Palin and Fox news cause all of our problems (and this one) festival of stupid.

I already see some of you leaning that way, and you're smarter/better than that. At least, you should be.

Don't make an act of criminal insanity a political soap box for your opinions, because it makes you a piece of garbage when you do.

And I don't care if you agree with me on this or not.

Seriously.

why is it that we must assume it's an act of random criminal insanity? why is it completely impossible that it was motivated by something else? and how can you disagree that using violent rhetoric when referring to other public servants is a dangerous thing?

EDIT: and Y2HH please refer to the post Balta made quoting the sheriff.

Edited by Reddy

I didn't really wanna be "that guy" this early and I haven't made any comments to that effect, this whackjob is the one responsible for what he did and nobody else... but I mean seriously, things like "Second Amendment solutions" really don't help anything, there's just no place for it.

Edited by lostfan

He is a pot-smoking atheist loner who loved Mein Kampf and the Communist Manifesto. He thought the government was listening to him. He thought the government was using mind control. Maybe, just maybe he was crazy. But don't let that stop everyone from trying to figure out if Sarah Palin is responsible. I am sure that both sides will try and politicize this. Stop with this s***. A bunch of people died, including a 9 year old child. Why this nut shot a bunch of people will be sorted out by the FBI.

Twitter where the crazy get to show off.

"So, when Khalid Sheikh Mohammed kills people, all Muslims are evil. When Jared Lee Loughner does, it's an isolated crazy person. Got it."

I f***ing give up.

My heart goes out to the family of the dead. My heart goes out to the congresswoman. Anyone that wants to go on a shooting spree. Save the world the tragedy blame the person in the mirror for your problems. If you want to exact justice, take a look at the person in the mirror before you go out and destroy lives.

Edited by southsideirish71