So... is Kenny done?

Eminor3rd

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ Jan 8, 2011 -> 09:53 PM)
It's all a matter of opinion, I guess. I don't think Adam Dunn alone makes this a great off-season. And I'm not thrilled at all by Crain or Ohman. Especially Crain.

Again, nothing negative to say about the Dunn signing. And I'm glad we brought PK back, even though, and we agree, that he's not likely to repeat his 2010. I have no idea how one can look at Crain's body of work and be at all thrilled. He was good last season. But the 3 years prior to that he was very mediocre. And I just can't get excited over Loogy's.

Yes, I do. But then you have to factor in the likely Konerko regression and the fact will be without our number 1 starter for likely quite some time and we won't even know how effective he'll be once he eventually does come back.

I guess it would be hard to be worse than A.J. was last year. But I don't expect some renaissance at age 35. I, of course, would love to be wrong. I think Beckham will be better. But he needs to be A LOT better. Because last year for the most part was pathetic.

The bolded is driving me crazy. Yes, they won 88 games. But how many of those came after the Sox were long out of it and playing teams [the Sox were doing the same] that were either shutting their main guys down because they were either resting them or their teams were already out of it and evaluating young guys for next year? And what do you mean added depth? How does losing Putz and Jenks and adding Crain and a loogy give us more depth? I'm torn with Santos. I've become a big proponent of pitcher peripherals. And outside of his K/9, which were good, they were mediocre. And then there's always the challenge of making adjustments when hitters get to see you the second time around. And I totally disagree that the pitching staff will be better without Peavy for an extended time or a healthy Peavy when he comes back. Could it be good enough? Yes. But I doubt it will be better.

Sure, this team has enough talent that if most everything goes right they can win 95 games. But I thought that last year. And I think we had a solid/good off-season highlighted by one great addition. So I guess will agree to disagree there.

It was just a simple hypothetical. I'm getting the idea by many that simply adding Adam Dunn makes this a great offseason. I disagree. Simple as that.

True. Like I said, it was a hypothetical. I love Dunn. But I'm not crazy about anything else we've done. Well, of course, bringing PK back.

Wow, you are turning into such a rain cloud :lol:

I'd like to see some sort of data on the success of bouncing pitchers back and forth (which I'm sure doesn't exist because it would be impossible to gather) before I felt strongly either way. I'm just not convinced in the viability of the strategy solely from cherry-picking a couple examples of one-in-a-million freaks of nature like Santana and Smoltz.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Jan 9, 2011 -> 03:22 PM)
His splits in 2010 are pretty similar, except June, July and August is when he shined, although June he sported a nice ERA but his WHIP was horrid. A lot of walks but they easily could be intentional. July and August, he made himself millions. Obviously, going month to month with relievers isn't an exact science as its only about 11 or 12 innings a month.

I was in Minneapolis in July and can tell you Twins fans held Crain in the exact same regard Linebrink was held around here. They expected bad things to happen when he entered the game. Maybe he's turned it around, or maybe he put together a pretty sweet salary drive.

I had heard just the opposite, that Crain was the stopper and Guerrier was their Linebrink. The problem you face when talking with casual fans is that you get wildly varying opinions, so I don't think you can put much stock into either group, but instead based on the statistics we have in front of us.

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Jan 10, 2011 -> 02:11 PM)
I had heard just the opposite, that Crain was the stopper and Guerrier was their Linebrink. The problem you face when talking with casual fans is that you get wildly varying opinions, so I don't think you can put much stock into either group, but instead based on the statistics we have in front of us.

I know as a Sox fan, I felt better when Guerrier was in versus Crain, but that was just me.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jan 10, 2011 -> 12:32 PM)
What if he does that as a starter in April? ;)

I'd like that too. So I think you're assuming Peavy won't be ready for OD. What happens when Peavy's ready? Trade a starter and keep Sale in the rotation or slide Sale to the pen? I don't see it happening this year.