Sale-ing Away with me...

southsider2k5

What should Sale's role be for 2011?  

80 members have voted

1. 1. How would you deal with Chris Sale this year?

• Put Sale into the Sox rotation for the 2011 season
    • Use Sale in the rotation if needed for Peavy, but then move him back to the Sox pen
    • Use Sale in the White Sox bullpen, no matter what happens with Peavy
    • Put Sale in Charlotte as a starter to build his arm for future years
    • Start as in Chicago if needed for Peavy, but then start in Charlotte if not

QUOTE (Special K @ Jan 10, 2011 -> 04:40 PM)
Is the DeWayne Wise/Brian Anderson debate officially dead?

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jan 10, 2011 -> 04:41 PM)
We all lost that one.

There was also the Brian Anderson/Aaron Rowand debate. But that grindy grinderness of Aaron Rowand in the 2005 world series, as well as using him to net the White Sox Jim Thome kind of killed that one off.

Speaking of Brian Anderson.. did anyone post that he signed a minor league deal with the Yankees as a pitcher? With the way their bullpen has fallen apart, he could make the big leagues with them this year. :lolhitting

I want him to start in AAA. As a fan I'm not looking at just 2011. I want a cheap/productive Sale for the next 6 years. Those saying that the only thing that matters is 2011 are probably the same people that said they would never complain about a thing ever again in baseball life after we won the WS. And I think we all know by now that was a damn lie. If you're gonna start him off in the 'pen, keep him there. At least for this year. I do not want to see him dicked around all year. And they'll probably end up playing the Brandon McCarthy card anyway even if we did need an emergency starter.

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ Jan 10, 2011 -> 06:03 PM)
I want him to start in AAA. As a fan I'm not looking at just 2011. I want a cheap/productive Sale for the next 6 years. Those saying that the only thing that matters is 2011 are probably the same people that said they would never complain about a thing ever again in baseball life after we won the WS. And I think we all know by now that was a damn lie. If you're gonna start him off in the 'pen, keep him there. At least for this year. I do not want to see him dicked around all year. And they'll probably end up playing the Brandon McCarthy card anyway even if we did need an emergency starter.

What's wrong with Sale starting the season as the 5th starter?

I don't really care what Sale does this year, as long as he's on the team. The team needs him in 2011, they don't have the luxury to have him dominate AAA for a month or two.

Edited by chw42

QUOTE (chw42 @ Jan 10, 2011 -> 06:05 PM)
What's wrong with Sale starting the season as the 5th starter?

I don't really care what Sale does this year, as long as he's on the team. The team needs him in 2011, they don't have the luxury to have him dominate AAA for a month or two.

Then boot him to the 'pen as soon as Peavy comes back? I don't like that notion all that much. And I know this would be a nice problem to have, but what if he does fairly well as a starter initially? Doesn't really send a good message to the kid to banish him to the 'pen, IMO. Then he's got to re-adjust mid-season. I just don't like it.

Edited by Jordan4life

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ Jan 10, 2011 -> 06:09 PM)
Then boot him to the 'pen as soon as Peavy comes back? I don't like that notion all that much. And I know this would be a nice problem to have, but what if he does fairly well as a starter initially? Doesn't really send a good message to send the kid to the 'pen, IMO.

6 man rotation. I don't think it'll hurt, especially since Peavy's a question mark at this point and Gavin usually ends up hurting himself come September.

I think you have him start as the 5th guy in the rotation and then assess the situation when Peavy comes back. If the bullpen is doing well and the rotation is doing well, then do whatever you want with Sale.

But if one of the areas needs help, you're gonna have to use him somewhere on the team. Because I think almost everybody in the organization is looking at this year, they probably have the future of Sale in the back of their minds, but it's not a first priority. The team winning this year is the first priority.

If Sale was the team's first priority, he wouldn't have been brought up to pitch in the bullpen last season.

Edited by chw42

QUOTE (chw42 @ Jan 10, 2011 -> 06:12 PM)
6 man rotation. I don't think it'll hurt, especially since Peavy's a question mark at this point and Gavin usually ends up hurting himself come September.

I think you have him start as the 5th guy in the rotation and then assess the situation when Peavy comes back. If the bullpen is doing well and the rotation is doing well, then do whatever you want with Sale.

But if one of the areas needs help, you're gonna have to use him somewhere on the team.

I'll never buy a 6 man rotation idea with this team again after the McCarthy lie in 2006.