MLB network trade idea

southsider2k5

Should the Philadelphia Phillies trade Joe Blanton and Raul Ibanez to the Chicago White Sox for Carlos Quentin? This is a topic for the MLB Networks Hot Stove program.

My big thing is that I have no idea how the Sox could take on that much money, and what we would do with another starter.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jan 11, 2011 -> 04:23 PM)
Should the Philadelphia Phillies trade Joe Blanton and Raul Ibanez to the Chicago White Sox for Carlos Quentin? This is a topic for the MLB Networks Hot Stove program.

My big thing is that I have no idea how the Sox could take on that much money, and what we would do with another starter.

We're in no position to take on more salary.

Having Blanton would be nice, but his talents will be wasted when Peavy's back.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jan 11, 2011 -> 04:23 PM)

The answer to the question is absolutely they should. Unfortunately for Philly, it takes two to tango and there is no reason for the Sox to even think about that trade.

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ Jan 11, 2011 -> 05:16 PM)
Ibanez is basically CQ except he's over a decade older. He's been god awful in every aspect of baseball since the all-star break of 2009. Joe Blanton, well, sucks. He's a number 5 starter getting paid like he's a number 2 or 3 starter. Gross. I'd love to ditch Teahen. But not for that package.

Joe Blanton's a 2.5 win starter. If you adjust him to the AL he's probably a 2 win pitcher. That's average, not terrible.

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ Jan 11, 2011 -> 05:27 PM)
He's due over 20 million dollars the next two years. That makes me want to barf.

It's $17 million. He's being paid at fair market value for his production. If you get to dump Teahen in the deal and get a cost controlled player back in Francisco, it's not THAT bad. I still wouldn't do it though.

QUOTE (chw42 @ Jan 11, 2011 -> 05:31 PM)
It's $17 million. He's being paid at fair market value for his production. If you get to dump Teahen in the deal and get a cost controlled player back in Francisco, it's not THAT bad. I still wouldn't do it though.

So the A's are paying a portion of his salary? Didn't know that. That's still way too much, IMO. I wouldn't touch him. Go with Tony Pena if you have to.

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ Jan 11, 2011 -> 05:44 PM)
So the A's are paying a portion of his salary? Didn't know that. That's still way too much, IMO. I wouldn't touch him. Go with Tony Pena if you have to.

How much do you think Blanton is being paid? He gets $8.5M a year for the next 2 seasons. it was a 3 year, $24M deal with a $6M signing bonus and $1M in salary for year 1.

QUOTE (JoeCoolMan24 @ Jan 11, 2011 -> 06:00 PM)
No. Make them take Teahen too, and then maybe, but KW will still have to be creative about money.

Why would they take Teahen's contract? was he part of the deal as well? Blanton didn't impress me last season and just how old is Ibanez any way? Blanton has no upside IMO and Ibanez is certainly on the downside, while we already know what we have in Carl-Q and the "versatility" Teahen is suppose to provide in the lineup.

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ Jan 11, 2011 -> 06:11 PM)
Gotcha. I get it now. I just click the overall team payroll numbers and go from that. I don't look at them individually.

Looks like Cots just split the signing bonus up into $2M increments for each of the 3 years of the deal which is incorrect, it was payed in two installments during the 2010 season. Looks like you were misled, honest mistake.