What Kind of Car Do You Drive?

hogan873

I love XM radio, I bought a subscription after my free year ended. It was a huge help in two road-trips to California we made in the past year and a half. Typically I just listen to Pandora or Rhapsody at work, but it's always XM in my car.

As for Navigation, I just went with Google maps on my Droid and it was also a huge help in the road trips and driving around unfamiliar areas in Cali for my wedding a few months ago.

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Palehosefan @ Jan 14, 2011 -> 05:03 PM)
I love XM radio, I bought a subscription after my free year ended. It was a huge help in two road-trips to California we made in the past year and a half. Typically I just listen to Pandora or Rhapsody at work, but it's always XM in my car.

As for Navigation, I just went with Google maps on my Droid and it was also a huge help in the road trips and driving around unfamiliar areas in Cali for my wedding a few months ago.

Where'd you end up getting married? Man, that brings me way back. Crazy how we all grow up. Been years since the days we'd chat on AIM, haha.

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Jan 14, 2011 -> 07:29 PM)
Where'd you end up getting married? Man, that brings me way back. Crazy how we all grow up. Been years since the days we'd chat on AIM, haha.

It was a place called Pine Creek Gardens. It was an outdoor wedding and was a ton of fun. We got married 10/10/10 :-).

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Jan 14, 2011 -> 03:00 PM)
On a random sidenote, probably the coolest feature I've had on a car in years is bluetooth. My old car was just before the generation of vehicles that came with it standard (2005) and having it while talking on the phone for work/personal use is just amazing convenient. I don't use a lot of the fancy features that come with it (all of the voice dialing and stuff) but either way it works pretty cool.

Plus I love the whole streaming pandora through bluetooth via the radio.

Stuff I'm less than intrigued about on my new car:

XM - I just can't get all that into it whenever I use it. After my free trial I'm pretty sure I won't be signing up. I could see using it if you live in areas without an ample amount of stations, but where I am there are just a lot of great options on free radio.

I wouldn't know about navigation because I refuse to pay like 2600 dollars for a navigation package when all of the garmins, etc, are cheap, plus a lot of PDA's have turn by turn directions for free.

Sirius/XM dominates regular radio and its not even close. Free radio is 50 percent advertising. Sat radio is also a much higher quality signal and is almost CD quality. You have a million more options for songs to listen to and it has a ridiculous amount of talk radio that free local AM stations cannot touch. I have plenty of options in Chicago and I listen to free radio sometimes, but it doesnt have nearly as many options as SAT and I always find myself going back to the sat setting no matter what.

As for OEM navigation, I would rather not carry a handheld garmin with me at all times, if you leave it in your car in Chicago, your window will be broken within the hour. If you are looking at your phone for directions and a cop sees you, you will be pulled over. I like to be able to voice command my nav with where i want to go so I can stay focused on the road and I also like the XM traffic that it provides. I literally wouldnt buy a car without factory nav in it.

QUOTE (StrangeSox @ Jan 16, 2011 -> 09:21 AM)
I've always heard that a lot of the aftermarket NAV systems are better and cheaper than the factory ones. Not talking about the portable units like Garmin, but in-dash receivers, Pioneer etc.

Define better. All of the cars I have shopped usually come with NAV and if its an option you usually get a much better technology package such as an upgraded sound system, voice control and bluetooth. If you added all of those aftermarket they could be of similar cost and you usually dont have the same OEM look as you have to jam in something that wasnt designed specifically for your car.

My new jeep actually has a SAT-based Garmin system as its NAV interface. Its not my favorite as I think the infiniti system was a bit better, but it still works quite well and I dont have to worry about someone smashing up my windows to steal it.

QUOTE (NIUSox @ Jan 15, 2011 -> 04:29 PM)
I drive a 2005 Chevy Impala and love it. Hopefully I won't have to get a new car for a while.

Funny that I open this thread and this is the first post I see. Pretty much what I was going to post almost verbatim.

Mine needs its computer reset, or something. It's telling me I need to change my oil when I just did, and even then it'd only been about 4500 miles since the last time which is not a big deal for a car that's almost 6 years old, and the check engine light comes on for a couple of days at a time then it goes away.

Have ' 01 Honda Accord w/ only 60k miles on it. I got it from my grandma in 05 w/ 6000 miles on it. Hooray grandma cars. Will run this thing into the ground. My wife has an '06 Focus, nothing exciting.

However, once my accord goes out, I will be getting a newer model Subaru Impreza. When I worked in a rental car branch, those were my absolute favorite cars to drive. They handle so well.

QUOTE (knightni @ Jan 13, 2011 -> 06:54 PM)
Have: Chevy Blazer

Want: Bigger 4WD SUV for winter, classic sports/muscle car for the summer. A dream on the latter, I know.

I've always wanted one of these since I was a kid.

1978-transam.jpg

Ahh Trans am ..my first car! just like that with T-top ..red interior, though. I never got to drive it ...I got it for my 18th bday, didn't get my license till I was 20 .. my dad sold the car right out from under me ...freakin butt mouth!! Booooo! ..My REAL first car was a 2002 red and black Ford Mustang with a manual transmission ..I learned how to drive one just so I could have that car!!

So my dad just got my step mom a 2011 Buick Regal(which is gorgeous btw), I can't even say he bought it because he ended up getting a check from the dealership with the trade in of our 2010 Malibu. Crazyness.

He also has a 2011 Corvette Z06 which I believe he's had for about 5 months now, nicest kept car you'll ever see. Pretty sure that thing has less than 50 miles on it though and that's not an exaggeration. He's a nut job when it comes to cars.

QUOTE (Rowand44 @ Jan 16, 2011 -> 11:59 PM)
He also has a 2011 Corvette Z06 which I believe he's had for about 5 months now, nicest kept car you'll ever see. Pretty sure that thing has less than 50 miles on it though and that's not an exaggeration. He's a nut job when it comes to cars.

You should be driving this whenever you can get a chance.