Big Jim back with Twinx

Steve9347

QUOTE (iamshack @ Jan 14, 2011 -> 12:26 PM)
Well, without being privy to what the true situation is regarding any attempt to sign a Boras client long-term, I can concede that I am not sure what the possibilities might have been. But I think had we offered 5/$78 or so two months ago, it might have gotten done.

I agree the signing of Dunn will probably not hurt us in terms of production versus pay, but that doesn't mean it was the best signing to make with our money.

The way I see it, you're not looking to make signings that simply don't harm you financially, but you're looking to maximize your dollars committed versus the production you receive based on what is available on the marketplace.

I guess if it were my money, I would be willing to take the risk of allocating a total of $27ish million per year this season to Beltre/Lee/Thome, with the the remaining commitment in years and dollars to Beltre over the next 4 years after that, given the current makeup of our roster, especially considering ages and contract commitments, than the $27 million per year over the next two years we have committed to Konerko and Dunn, and the remaining dollars committed in the years following that to Dunn and Konerko.

Will just agree to disagree, I guess. I'm trying to be a little bit more cuddly. A week ago this would've been a SERIOUS debate. Not really. But you get my point.

Edited by Jordan4life

• Replies 112
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ Jan 14, 2011 -> 12:36 PM)
Will just agree to disagree, I guess. I'm trying to be a little bit more cuddly. A week ago this would've been a SERIOUS debate. Not really. But you get my point.

I'm no longer a moderator so I hesitate to give you any advice on how you should or should not post, but you don't need to withdrawal from a discussion or debate because you want to stay cuddly. I welcome your debate. But we just have to adhere to the rules and guidelines of the site while doing so.

Edited by iamshack

QUOTE (iamshack @ Jan 14, 2011 -> 12:43 PM)
I'm no longer a moderator so I hesitate to give you any advice on how you should or should not post, but you don't need to withdrawal from a discussion or debate because you want to stay cuddly. I welcome your debate. But we just have to adhere to the rules and guidelines of the site while doing so.

Didn't even notice. May I ask why? If you don't wish to share that's not a problem.

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ Jan 14, 2011 -> 12:57 PM)
Didn't even notice. May I ask why? If you don't wish to share that's not a problem.

Without getting into the specifics, it was just a difference of opinion. Eventually I asked to be just a regular poster and I think it made all parties involved more comfortable.

I am happy with it, and I think for the most part the moderating/administration team is happy with it as well.

QUOTE (scenario @ Jan 14, 2011 -> 12:58 PM)
Nothing wrong with debate. It's the name calling, kidney punching, and eye gouging that are discouraged.

Yes, but I've developed a problem with this though. I've forgotten how to express myself without sounding combative. Qwerty is the master at this. But I'll work on it.

QUOTE (iamshack @ Jan 14, 2011 -> 01:01 PM)
Without getting into the specifics, it was just a difference of opinion. Eventually I asked to be just a regular poster and I think it made all parties involved more comfortable.

I am happy with it, and I think for the most part the moderating/administration team is happy with it as well.

No problem at all. Welcome back to being simply a 'mortal'.

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ Jan 14, 2011 -> 01:02 PM)
Yes, but I've developed a problem with this though. I've forgotten how to express myself without sounding combative. Qwerty is the master at this. But I'll work on it.

The reason Qwerty and Kal are so good at it is because they limit their points to facts and data. Some of the rest of us like to mix in too many adjectives and profanities, or make the points of a personal nature from time to time, myself included.

QUOTE (iamshack @ Jan 14, 2011 -> 01:06 PM)
The reason Qwerty and Kal are so good at it is because they limit their points to facts and data. Some of the rest of us like to mix in too many adjectives and profanities, or make the points of a personal nature from time to time, myself included.

Yeah but those two aren't really human. They're more like androids. I have to figure out how to leave the emotion out of it. That's become my problem here and in every day life, actually.

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ Jan 14, 2011 -> 01:15 PM)
Yeah but those two aren't really human. They're more like androids. I have to figure out how to leave the emotion out of it. That's become my problem here and in every day life, actually.

Then start becoming an android. Go open up Excel and stare at numbers all day. Trust me, it will make you less human.

Edited by chw42

QUOTE (chw42 @ Jan 14, 2011 -> 01:27 PM)
Then start becoming an android. Go open up Excel and stare at numbers all day. Trust me, it will make you less human.

lol. Yeah, well, Sabermetrics is your god. It's what you turn to when you need answers in your every day life. 'How do I go about getting this girl'? Simple: 'Just combine a combination of wOBA, WAR and WPA and by george you've got it!'

QUOTE (BigSqwert @ Jan 14, 2011 -> 01:27 PM)
Screw that. I hope he hits .120 this season.

JT is so rare that in it's so hard to root against him. I hate to admit this. But part of me smiled when he hit that bomb off Thornton last year that still has yet to land. It's like if you're going to lose it may as well be to him instead of pretty boy Mauer [and Ozzie looking like a moron didn't hurt].

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ Jan 14, 2011 -> 01:34 PM)
lol. Yeah, well, Sabermetrics is your god. It's what you turn to when you need answers in your every day life. 'How do I go about getting this girl'? Simple: 'Just combine a combination of wOBA, WAR and WPA and by george you've got it!'

You have no idea how well that combination works. Every time, every time.

QUOTE (MexSoxFan#1 @ Jan 14, 2011 -> 02:55 PM)
+1

But wasn't it improbable that he would have the year he had last year too? I remember when we let Jimmy walk, I posted his numbers year after year after year and said the odds are that if he can avoid injury, he would continue to post similar production for as long as he continues to play.

It appears that if you accept he isn't going to play every game, and you therefore limit his PAs, you can greatly decrease the chances for injury.

So how many times are we going to continue to say the same thing, and be wrong, but expect things to change?

QUOTE (iamshack @ Jan 14, 2011 -> 02:02 PM)
But wasn't it improbable that he would have the year he had last year too? I remember when we let Jimmy walk, I posted his numbers year after year after year and said the odds are that if he can avoid injury, he would continue to post similar production for as long as he continues to play.

It appears that if you accept he isn't going to play every game, and you therefore limit his PAs, you can greatly decrease the chances for injury.

So how many times are we going to continue to say the same thing, and be wrong, but expect things to change?

So you'd prefer a player that has to have his appearances limited?

QUOTE (BigSqwert @ Jan 14, 2011 -> 03:09 PM)
So you'd prefer a player that has to have his appearances limited?

Again, at $3 million per year, with incentives based on PA's, versus $14 million per year, yes.

If money were infinite, obviously not.

But assuming we would then invest that other $9-11 million in other players, yes.

QUOTE (iamshack @ Jan 14, 2011 -> 02:25 PM)
Again, at $3 million per year, with incentives based on PA's, versus $14 million per year, yes.

But assuming we would then invest that other $9-11 million in other players, yes.

that is an assumption I don't believe you can make in the case of the Chicago White Sox. The history between Jerry and Kenny tells me otherwise.

Let's face it, if Jimmy were far away from us, like in Toronto we wouldn't mind this so much.

But he's in Minnesota ready to try to burn us again.

I'd rather have Dunn.

Hopefully Thome will start to show age. He was pretty f***ing good last year. I'm sick of the Twins. At some point won't the magic leave Minnesota? Their domination of us last year was really annoying.

QUOTE (iamshack @ Jan 14, 2011 -> 02:25 PM)

It wouldn't be $3M though - it would be $3M plus whatever you paid for the other side of the platoon. Who could you get for similar money for the other side that you think would produce similarly?

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jan 14, 2011 -> 02:52 PM)
that is an assumption I don't believe you can make in the case of the Chicago White Sox. The history between Jerry and Kenny tells me otherwise.

I think I can make that assumption this year and last year.

I don't think we were just so enamored with Jessie Crain and Will Ohman that we decided we had to have them. Those were additions we could have gone into this year without and not taken too much of a PR hit for. And yet we signed them.

Last year we added Manny Ramirez in September and paid him $3.5 million or whatever for 1 month.

I think it's pretty clear they are doing everything in their power right now to win.

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Jan 14, 2011 -> 03:20 PM)
It wouldn't be $3M though - it would be $3M plus whatever you paid for the other side of the platoon. Who could you get for similar money for the other side that you think would produce similarly?

I'd let Dayan play when Thome didn't.

QUOTE (iamshack @ Jan 14, 2011 -> 01:06 PM)

F*ck yeah we do.