Big Jim back with Twinx

Steve9347

QUOTE (iamshack @ Jan 15, 2011 -> 05:08 PM)
Leave it to you to do this.

Fine. Runs are far more valuable now that offensive production is down, and therefore, defense is at more of a premium.

Happy?

I'll let you have the last word, but my response is built in your words. Defense is "at more of a premium". And teams are paying for defense that way.

I think the Yankees can win by paying a premium price for the thing that everyone is paying a premium for. I think teams that are loaded with both new revenue and young, performing talent might be able to win by paying a premium for the thing that everyone is paying a premium for (the Rangers fit here).

I think that a team like the White Sox cannot win by winning bidding wars for the thing that everyone is paying a premium for. A team like the White Sox needs to find its value by finding wins that other teams are not willing to pay a premium price for.

• Replies 112
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (iamshack @ Jan 15, 2011 -> 07:16 PM)
I'm not saying the guy is Adrian Gonzalez. I'm saying he's Adrian Beltre.

And I'm not saying I would have been comfortable offering what the Rangers offered, I said I think if we would have offered 5/$78 2 months ago maybe we would have been able to get it done.

I think Beltre will probably slow down in year 4 and 5, but I think his production in years 1-3 will help offset that.

To me, Adrian Beltre is the very definition of inconsistent. I want no part of a 5 year deal for him, so I'd rather do what we did.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jan 15, 2011 -> 05:19 PM)
I'll let you have the last word, but my response is built in your words. Defense is "at more of a premium". And teams are paying for defense that way.

I think the Yankees can win by paying a premium price for the thing that everyone is paying a premium for. I think teams that are loaded with both new revenue and young, performing talent might be able to win by paying a premium for the thing that everyone is paying a premium for (the Rangers fit here).

I think that a team like the White Sox cannot win by winning bidding wars for the thing that everyone is paying a premium for. A team like the White Sox needs to find its value by finding wins that other teams are not willing to pay a premium price for.

It's just not that simple. The White Sox can afford to pay a premium for things that they need, if they happen to be paying less than the premium price for other aspects of production that they require.

If you're going to argue that position, and it is indeed true, the White Sox cannot win this year, because of the money they are paying Jake Peavy.

QUOTE (iamshack @ Jan 15, 2011 -> 04:16 PM)
I'm not saying the guy is Adrian Gonzalez. I'm saying he's Adrian Beltre.

And I'm not saying I would have been comfortable offering what the Rangers offered, I said I think if we would have offered 5/$78 2 months ago maybe we would have been able to get it done.

I think Beltre will probably slow down in year 4 and 5, but I think his production in years 1-3 will help offset that.

But he's being paid like he's Gonzalez because of his defensive reputation. That's my point. And c'mon, Shack. Beltre was not signing a damn thing two months ago. His agent is Boras.

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ Jan 15, 2011 -> 04:23 PM)
But he's being paid like he's Gonzalez because of his defensive reputation. That's my point. And c'mon, Shack. Beltre was not signing a damn thing two months ago. His agent is Boras.

Do you really think that Adrian Gonzalez is going to sign a 6/$96 extension?

QUOTE (iamshack @ Jan 15, 2011 -> 05:22 PM)
If you're going to argue that position, and it is indeed true, the White Sox cannot win this year, because of the money they are paying Jake Peavy.

If Jake Peavy is only worth $10 million in the fangraphs numbers, it could well be hard for the Sox to win this year, just like last year. You get the 2007 Peavy last year and the Sox are right in it. Instead, they spend a lot of money and didn't get their money's worth.

QUOTE (iamshack @ Jan 15, 2011 -> 04:25 PM)
Do you really think that Adrian Gonzalez is going to sign a 6/$96 extension?

No, I don't. I guess I said that wrong. I'm just saying at that many years and that kinda coin [is it almost 17 million?], he's being paid like a superstar or damn near close to it. And he quite frankly hasn't been that for a majority of his career. Ballparks be damned.

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ Jan 15, 2011 -> 04:32 PM)
No, I don't. I guess I said that wrong. I'm just saying at that many years and that kinda coin [is it almost 17 million?], he's being paid like a superstar or damn near close to it. And he quite frankly hasn't been that for a majority of his career. Ballparks be damned.

Well, I can concede your position has merit. It's a calculated risk I would have taken, given our roster and contract commitments, but that is certainly up for debate.

What I don't agree with, is this notion that paying for elite defense is somehow wrong.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jan 15, 2011 -> 04:30 PM)
If Jake Peavy is only worth $10 million in the fangraphs numbers, it could well be hard for the Sox to win this year, just like last year. You get the 2007 Peavy last year and the Sox are right in it. Instead, they spend a lot of money and didn't get their money's worth.

That's not what you argued though. You argued that even if the player produces as much as he is being paid, the Sox still cannot win, because by default, the Sox cannot win if they are paying a premium price.

Edited by iamshack

QUOTE (iamshack @ Jan 15, 2011 -> 04:36 PM)
Well, I can concede your position has merit. It's a calculated risk I would have taken, given our roster and contract commitments, but that is certainly up for debate.

What I don't agree with, is this notion that paying for elite defense is somehow wrong.

And I definitely understand your point of view. See, this is good for me. I'm learning how to have a debate with somebody without coming off like a dick. I can be fixed. Oh yes.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jan 15, 2011 -> 04:30 PM)

If we get 07 Peavy then the Sox walk away with the Central.

QUOTE (iamshack @ Jan 15, 2011 -> 05:37 PM)
That's not what you argued though. You argued that even if the player produces as much as he is being paid, the Sox still cannot win, because by default, the Sox cannot win if they are paying a premium price.

They'd be paying a premium price but they'd be getting production well beyond that price if they got the 2007 Peavy.