2011 Soccer Season

• Replies 232
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

somehow Cuba has the 6th best FIFA rankings in CONCACAF. But they are easily the 4th place team if Canada and Panama advance to round 3.

I think we have the easiest road to the Hex.

A potential Mexico,Costa Rica,El Salvador,Trinidad group will be entertaining. A nice battle for second.

Also the 4th place team in the final round will be paired against the Oceania winner. So CONCACAF should be sending 4 teams to Brazil.

Some fun UEFA qualifying groups came out of that too.

Group A has Croatia/Serbia as favorites but the door is open there for Belgium/Scotland

Group B totally wide open with Italy, Denmark and Czech Republic, plus you can toss Bulgaria in there

Germany is in group C with Sweden and Ireland. Can you believe the Germans have lost 2 WCQ matches ever. Yes, ever.

Group D is Netherlands

Group E is very weak with Norway, Slovenia and Switzerland as the only quality teams

Portugal/Russia will battle in F

Group G is another weak one with Greece, Slovakia and Bosnia as the three top teams

Group H will be fun. England is obviously the favorite but they are paired with Montenegro, who is rapidly improving and in the midst of a great Euro qualifying campaign. Ukraine and Poland will also make it tough.

And then Group I, where France will again have to advance through the head to head as Spain will win that group

As for CONCACAF, the US got a pretty nice draw which should be an easy route to the Hex. Antigua could surprise and make it through and then hopefully Grenada can stave off Guatemala just so we can avoid making another trip down there

• 2 weeks later...
QUOTE (Soxbadger @ Aug 10, 2011 -> 09:46 PM)
Having Jurgen as coach really has changed my entire outlook on the US team. I just actually have confidence that we have a coach who knows what talent is and understands the game.

I take it the team looked good tonight than? I have it dvr'd but haven't had a chance to watch it yet, obviously it's insanely early but I'm intrigued to hear/see how they did.

They started slow and Mexico controlled. But as the game progressed US really took over. Refs may have missed 1-2 pk's for the US, as well as a clear red card on a break away, although that was the 82nd minute so not as important.

Its obviously just 1 game, but I think he brings a different passion/approach than other US coaches and he just seems to have a magnetism that can compel players to improve.

QUOTE (Soxbadger @ Aug 10, 2011 -> 11:31 PM)
Its obviously just 1 game, but I think he brings a different passion/approach than other US coaches and he just seems to have a magnetism that can compel players to improve.

It felt fresh in the last half hour, which is nice. I like Brek Shea a lot so it's good to see him get a cap and impress. Most of the other surprise call ups were pretty poor though. Castillo was dreadful and Orozco was mediocre. Still need some young defenders, though it's hard to complain about that too much given Lichaj and Chandler weren't there.

Brek Shea was impressive, and so was Agudelo. Jones and Beckerman didn't wow me at all and Buddle didn't do anything. I really wanted to see Adu in this game. Torres looks good on the ball but he doesn't defend at all.

I thought they looked very impressive the last 20-30 minutes, so that was promising. It will be interesting to see what the starting XI looks like in a year when WC qualifying begins. I'd say only about half were present today.

QUOTE (Rowand44 @ Aug 10, 2011 -> 09:22 PM)
I take it the team looked good tonight than? I have it dvr'd but haven't had a chance to watch it yet, obviously it's insanely early but I'm intrigued to hear/see how they did.

Looked awful for the first 55 minutes or so offensively. Mexico dominated posession of the game. Some nice substitutions were made and the US started controlling things. Most importantly, we seemed to have multiple players in positions to score late in the game. It wasn't like we had just one option on the offensive side. The young players played really well.

Of course, it is just one game, but I'm excited to see what our new coach can do. I think he knows talent and is going to bring out the best in that talent.

QUOTE (ChiSox_Sonix @ Aug 11, 2011 -> 06:29 AM)
Brek Shea was impressive, and so was Agudelo. Jones and Beckerman didn't wow me at all and Buddle didn't do anything. I really wanted to see Adu in this game. Torres looks good on the ball but he doesn't defend at all.

I thought they looked very impressive the last 20-30 minutes, so that was promising. It will be interesting to see what the starting XI looks like in a year when WC qualifying begins. I'd say only about half were present today.

Agudelo looks like he has star potential. Very poised for an 18 year old and had some impressive plays. I really liked Shea as well.

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Aug 11, 2011 -> 11:23 AM)
Agudelo looks like he has star potential. Very poised for an 18 year old and had some impressive plays. I really liked Shea as well.

I'd love Agudelo to get some actual playing time over in Europe. Portuguese league or Ligue 1 perhaps. I do not want him going somewhere like Villareal like Jozy and not play, he's too young for that, but starting off somewhere a step below the EPL/La Liga/Serie A could be awfully beneficial to him

Edited by ChiSox_Sonix

Lots of people have an high opinion of the Eredivisie when it comes to developing young strikers. So maybe one of those teams will come calling for Agudelo sometime soon.

If not, I'd rather see him keep playing in MLS for another 2 years and keep getting minutes.

QUOTE (danman31 @ Aug 17, 2011 -> 07:56 PM)
Barca-Madrid is the best rivalry in the world in all sports right now. If you missed the second leg of the Spanish Super Cup, watch it. It's on ESPN3.

I know this is the opposite of sportsmanship (and not something to teach the kiddies) BUT, after yet another tackle by a Madrid player with clear intent to permanently injure the winning Barca side (Marcelo hack to the back of Cesc's knee) I would of loved to see Fabregas stand up, straight right Marcelo right to the face, take him down, full mount, and unload fists/elbows after fists/elbows straight on his face (I know, football is not the UFC). In front of the world to see. Make that worthless asshole think twice about tackling anyone ever again. Same for the huge Puss that is Jose Mourinho for grabbing the back of Barca's assistant manager's ear. If I were that man I would of crushed Mourinho. FIFA/La Liga do jack s*** about protecting player's health, If I was a superstar footballer and someone tried to end my career with that bulls***, on my first match with my hometown team. I'd take matters into my own hands. Everyone can b**** all they want about the diving in these matches, both squads are guilty of it. But the blatant intent to injure by the Mourinho side, match after match, is getting ridiculous. It would suck if one of these days a player like Messi who is full of class, and is truly someone magical for the game gets hurt by a POS Marcelo/Pedro..

Jozy netted a pair this weekend for AZ. And played the full 90 so thats a very promising sign. That's already 3 in 3 games for him there. If he could develop over there that would be enormous the for the national team. Also might lead to Agudelo following his path if the Dutch league pays dividends for Jozy

QUOTE (ChiSox_Sonix @ Aug 22, 2011 -> 11:25 AM)
Jozy netted a pair this weekend for AZ. And played the full 90 so thats a very promising sign. That's already 3 in 3 games for him there. If he could develop over there that would be enormous the for the national team. Also might lead to Agudelo following his path if the Dutch league pays dividends for Jozy

The Dutch league is a great intermediate step to becoming an elite player. I'm hopeful that MLS' stars can go straight to Holland, for example, and then be able to move up to a big 4 league. It seems like Europe kind of struggled gauging how good MLS was previously (Eddie Johnson going straight to Fulham, Jozy to Villareal) and I think we'll see more guys go to the Championship or Holland instead of Scandanavia. Hopefully Agudelo can learn from the previous failures of American forwards in Europe.

QUOTE (danman31 @ Aug 22, 2011 -> 12:44 PM)
The Dutch league is a great intermediate step to becoming an elite player. I'm hopeful that MLS' stars can go straight to Holland, for example, and then be able to move up to a big 4 league. It seems like Europe kind of struggled gauging how good MLS was previously (Eddie Johnson going straight to Fulham, Jozy to Villareal) and I think we'll see more guys go to the Championship or Holland instead of Scandanavia. Hopefully Agudelo can learn from the previous failures of American forwards in Europe.

That's a great thought on paper because it is absolutely true that there are greater developmental opportunities in Scandanavia and Holland than in the EPL. The reality of the situation, however, is that Scandanavian leagues are best used as alterantives to MLS. Charlie Davies and Bedoya both went went straight from BC to Sweden. Marcus Tracy from Wake Forest to Denmark. It also works when guys spend a few years in MLS and then, out of contract, move on a free or, out of favor, make a cheap move to the Championship (see Robbie Findley who has actually been decent this year for Nottingham Forrest).

The problem with that approach is that MLS operates as a business, not as a developmental academy. As a result, the top tier of young prospects in MLS will be sold for the most money they can net which isn't coming from the Championship, Scandanavia or Holland (see Jozy and his $10M price tag to Villareal).

Agudelo ultimately has little say over where he goes. NYRB holds his rights and if Agudelo improves like expected, NYRB will sell him to a big club because that's where they will get the most return. The best situation for all involved with Agudelo is that he spends 2 or 3 more years in MLS, maturing on and off the field, and is better equipped to succeed when he moves to Europe than Jozy was right off the bat.

Finally, I will say that our view toward European transfers as American soccer fans are ultimately shaped by three players: Donovan, Freddy Adu, and Jozy all of whom made the move before they were ready to handle the on the field training or the pressure of living in a foreign country. We don't talk about the Dempseys and Holdens of the world that had a couple years service in MLS and developed their games prior to making impact moves abroad. Thus, based on history, the best thing that can happen for Aguedlo is that he spend a couple more years in MLS before he makes his move to Europe.

QUOTE (ChiSox_Sonix @ Aug 24, 2011 -> 01:19 PM)
Samuel Eto'o is now the highest paid athlete in sports. Almost 30 million (US$) per year to sign with some middling Russian club. Shame his talents are going to be wasted for the next three years

I've been reading about that Russian club, it's pretty crazy. They are being supported by another one of the Russian oil billionaires. They gave 37-year old Roberto Carlos a bunch of money and have a few other players that are pretty good, that they overpaid. They should have a chance to compete in the Russian league.

But they are located near Checyna where the Islamic insurgency is and there is a bit of a war going on. They are based in and practice in Moscow, and have to travel 1,250 miles back for each of their home games. It just sounds like a very interesting situation.