Albert Pujols' extension - Cards fail to extend by deadline

chisoxfan09

• Replies 265
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Harry Chappas @ Feb 9, 2011 -> 09:09 AM)
I think if he does not resign they trade him to a team that wants to sign him.

Think Angels for Morales, Trout and Weaver or something along those lines.

Wow. I realize the Angels just took on Vernon Wells's contract, but give them a little credit. I don't think there is a player in baseball for whom you trade those 3 guys.

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Feb 9, 2011 -> 12:33 PM)
Wow. I realize the Angels just took on Vernon Wells's contract, but give them a little credit. I don't think there is a player in baseball for whom you trade those 3 guys.

That's the problem though for the Cardinals...why would you willingly trade the best player in baseball for anything less than that? It's almost impossible to get "fair value" for a full season of Albert Pujols and the likely chance to be the team that extends him.

QUOTE (fathom @ Feb 10, 2011 -> 09:52 AM)
2011 Cubs Slogan: Screw this season, we have a chance at Pujols! I still can't see this happening, as Cards would trade Pujols at the deadline if they're out of it and know they can't re-sign him.

well he would still be a FA at the end of the year, unless they do a trade contingent on a 48 hour window for an extension. I do agree with you that it's curious people keep mentioning the Cubs with Pujols and completely ignoring that the team is having some cash flow problems at the moment, even with some contracts expiring, and again, if he leaves it will be for money, so it's not like the Cubs are going to get some sort of discount with him.

QUOTE (SoxFan562004 @ Feb 10, 2011 -> 11:26 AM)
well he would still be a FA at the end of the year, unless they do a trade contingent on a 48 hour window for an extension. I do agree with you that it's curious people keep mentioning the Cubs with Pujols and completely ignoring that the team is having some cash flow problems at the moment, even with some contracts expiring, and again, if he leaves it will be for money, so it's not like the Cubs are going to get some sort of discount with him.

That is exactly what has to happen. The Cardinals can only get the value for him if he signs an extension. Without the extension you will get he value of two draft picks for him.

If the Yanks are not playing well I wonder they would move Tex and some youth for him.

All things considered, I'd probably rather have Prince Fielder than Albert Pujols if I were the Cubs. But they want the PR victories (it's been their strategy for decades), so I'm sure they'd go Pujols or bust if he hits the market next year. I'm with fathom though, I think the Cardinals would trade him at the deadline if it comes to the point where they know he can't be kept. It remains to be seen if they could afford either of them though, this all sounds like typical Cubbie fake optimism.

Edited by whitesoxfan101

QUOTE (Harry Chappas @ Feb 10, 2011 -> 12:28 PM)
That is exactly what has to happen. The Cardinals can only get the value for him if he signs an extension. Without the extension you will get he value of two draft picks for him.

If the Yanks are not playing well I wonder they would move Tex and some youth for him.

The Yankees would only think about it if they could sign Pujols to an extension immediately, and he already said he won't negotiate during the year. No way the Yanks risk not having either guy.

That being said, its an interesting proposition on both sides. There's no guarantee the Cards would accept that deal. Now they'd be paying a 1st baseman that's worse than Pujols $22.5M a year til 2016 when he's 36.

QUOTE (Harry Chappas @ Feb 10, 2011 -> 07:28 PM)

Screw the draft picks. If you're out of it at the deadline and know you're not going to go 10/300 million, then you trade him and try to get an amazing package. I liked the package proposed earlier of Morales, Trout, and Weaver. Hell, I'd say the Cardinals would be better with those three than just Pujols taking up 1/3 of their budget.

QUOTE (fathom @ Feb 10, 2011 -> 12:34 PM)
Screw the draft picks. If you're out of it at the deadline and know you're not going to go 10/300 million, then you trade him and try to get an amazing package. I liked the package proposed earlier of Morales, Trout, and Weaver. Hell, I'd say the Cardinals would be better with those three than just Pujols taking up 1/3 of their budget.

I know the Angels just traded for Vernon Wells, but why would they make that trade for a FA to be who they might not re-sign?

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Feb 10, 2011 -> 12:40 PM)
I know the Angels just traded for Vernon Wells, but why would they make that trade for a FA to be who they might not re-sign?

They only make that trade if they know they have what it takes to sign him as will any team that gets involved this year.

They trade for the right to deal with him exclusively.

The Rays are not trading for him or the Twins but teh Yanks, Angels and possibly Red Sox would.

I still do not think the cubs have the money to do it.

QUOTE (Harry Chappas @ Feb 10, 2011 -> 12:44 PM)
They only make that trade if they know they have what it takes to sign him as will any team that gets involved this year.

They trade for the right to deal with him exclusively.

Who would decide on that exclusitivity? (is that a word?) The Cardinals or Pujols? I really doubt Pujols would agree to that. He would not want to give up his freedom as a free agent like that.

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Feb 10, 2011 -> 01:51 PM)
Who would decide on that exclusitivity? (is that a word?) The Cardinals or Pujols? I really doubt Pujols would agree to that. He would not want to give up his freedom as a free agent like that.

The league office has to agree to that, along with the 2 teams involved in the trade.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Feb 10, 2011 -> 01:27 PM)
The league office has to agree to that, along with the 2 teams involved in the trade.

Without the players permission? Thats interesting. That would only be for a certain time-frame, right? After a certain period into free agency, I'd hope he'd be allowed to deal with other teams? That might make him want to avoid the Angels, its not like he HAS to negotiate.

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Feb 10, 2011 -> 02:43 PM)
Without the players permission? Thats interesting. That would only be for a certain time-frame, right? After a certain period into free agency, I'd hope he'd be allowed to deal with other teams? That might make him want to avoid the Angels, its not like he HAS to negotiate.

The player doesn't get to determine whether or not there is a negotiating window given...but the Player can flat out refuse to sign a contract in that negotiating window. A typical negotiating window is 72 hours.

QUOTE (chisoxfan09 @ Feb 13, 2011 -> 07:40 PM)
Link: http://content.usatoday.com/communities/da...talks-tuesday/1

Whoa Nellie!!! Seems the latest offer was rejected and he may just shut down the talks come Wednesday. We got ourselves a recipe for a season long hype fest folks!!

As long as he stays out of the AL I'm cool. I still think they'll work something out. And another thing, am I the only person that gets really f***ing annoyed when I read s*** like Pujols is "perhaps" baseballs best player or "probably" the best player of his genertation? There is no f***ing perhaps or probably. It's like saying Jordan was probably the best player of his era. Albert Pujols is WITHOUT QUESTION the best player of the last decade. Nobody is close. Not Mauer. Not Cabrera. Not Carlos Gonzalez. Nobody.

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ Feb 13, 2011 -> 08:51 PM)
As long as he stays out of the AL I'm cool. I still think they'll work something out. And another thing, am I the only person that gets really f***ing annoyed when I read s*** like Pujols is "perhaps" baseballs best player or "probably" the best player of his genertation? There is no f***ing perhaps or probably. It's like saying Jordan was probably the best player of his era. Albert Pujols is WITHOUT QUESTION the best player of the last decade. Nobody is close. Not Mauer. Not Cabrera. Not Carlos Gonzalez. Nobody.

If the Cards don't extend him, I'd bet he ends up in the AL. He's worth more money to a team that has the DH spot available.

If the Cards don't extend him, I'd bet he ends up in the AL. He's worth more money to a team that has the DH spot available.

I have seen some articles still giving the Cards a sight edge with their exclusive window open up until 5 days after the WS but I gotta believe if the don't get it down now it probably won't happen. DH is probably a good role for Pujols to save on the wear and tear of his elbow but I think he going after the money now. Not sure apart from the Cubs really which NL team is lining up their budget to fit his price tag. I think they are the only team that comes to mind (Cards obviously) that can afford him. Mets and Ddgers have really nasty internal financial messes to grapple with.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Feb 13, 2011 -> 07:55 PM)

What AL team could afford to add a $30 million dollar a year player to their roster? The Yankees and Red Sox are just fine at 1B. And I don't even think they would or could open up their wallets for Albert. Tigers? No. Maybe the Angels? And they just took on the most ridiculous contract in baseball.

What AL team could afford to add a $30 million dollar a year player to their roster? The Yankees and Red Sox are just fine at 1B. And I don't even think they would or could open up their wallets for Albert. Tigers? No. Maybe the Angels? And they just took on the most ridiculous contract in baseball.

I think you're right on this one. I really doubt either would shell out this monstrous contract just to avoid the other landing Pujols.

Edited by chisoxfan09

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ Feb 13, 2011 -> 08:07 PM)

I get what you are saying about the Yanks & BoSox, but I would still never count them out. A combination of Tex/AGon & Pujols at 1B/DH. I think they could convince one of the guys to play more DH.