Sox agree to 1 year deals with Danks, TCQ, and Pena

justBLAZE

QUOTE (BigSqwert @ Jan 18, 2011 -> 02:42 PM)
I don't know all of the millions of prospects that have come up in the 100+ years of the sport but I'd assume there were some.

So you can be proven before ever taking a major league at-bat or throwing a major league pitch? This is news to me. Anyway, I still can't think of one person that's ever wanted to trade Danks just to get a sexy collection of prospects back. It's all about maximizing his value while still under club control. Because if he hits FA then that's a wrap. The Yankees will be on him like a cat in heat.

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ Jan 18, 2011 -> 02:45 PM)
So you can be proven before ever taking a major league at-bat or throwing a major league pitch? This is news to me. Anyway, I still can't think of one person that's ever wanted to trade Danks just to get a sexy collection of prospects back. It's all about maximizing his value while still under club control. Because if he hits FA then that's a wrap. The Yankees will be on him like a cat in heat.

And they won't be alone.

QUOTE (ScottyDo @ Jan 18, 2011 -> 03:08 PM)
Something inside me says we'll still get Danks locked up. But that little voice inside me is almost always wrong, so he'll probably leave. I'm with J4L completely: if he's not locked up by 2012, let's get us a decent return.

Precisely. You used the word 'decent.' I want a Jodie Foster from the Accused gang-rape. Thing is the more time that goes by just decreases our chance of maximizing his value. Because not many teams will gut their farm for one year of JD knowing he will eventually test FA. It's a shame this s*** just hasn't gotten done by now. How many pitchers have been locked up to multi-year deals over just the last two off-seasons alone? You've got Lester, Verlander, Brett Anderson, Gallardo, Josh Jonhson, Felix and probably a few more that I'm forgetting about.

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ Jan 18, 2011 -> 12:13 PM)
Danks is going to test the FA market. You can take that to the bank.

Pretty much. My feeling is that Kenny's recent spending spree has a two-year window for success. If the Sox don't go deep in the playoffs this year and are struggling in July of next year (Danks' last year under team control), he and others will be dealt and the rebuilding process will begin.

QUOTE (knightni @ Jan 18, 2011 -> 05:18 PM)
Humber could be a waiver steal if they can get him back to his top prospect results.

If they can get league average innings out of him from the long relief role, it'd be good enough for me.

QUOTE (WCSox @ Jan 18, 2011 -> 05:10 PM)
Pretty much. My feeling is that Kenny's recent spending spree has a two-year window for success. If the Sox don't go deep in the playoffs this year and are struggling in July of next year (Danks' last year under team control), he and others will be dealt and the rebuilding process will begin.

How many more years is Danks arbitration eligible? When will he hit free agency?

QUOTE (Springfield SoxFan @ Jan 18, 2011 -> 06:35 PM)
How many more years is Danks arbitration eligible? When will he hit free agency?

John Danks has 1 more year of arbitration eligibility. We can offer him arbitration after 2011 and he can not become a FA. He will be a Free Agent following the 2012 season if no contract is reached.

Don’t expect the White Sox to sign left-hander John Danks to a contract extension anytime soon.

Danks, two years away from free agency, would hit the market at 27 and pitch the following season at 28.

Considering that lefty Cliff Lee signed a five-year, $120 million free- agent deal at 32, Danks might be wise to wait.

Danks, like any player, would benefit from long-term security. But he already has banked more than $10 million, earning $3.45 million last season and signing a one-year, $6 million deal on Tuesday to avoid arbitration.

If he stays healthy and produces at his normal level in 2011, Danks should earn about $8 million in '12, his final year of arbitration.

After that, he would be free.

To this point, Danks is not nearly as accomplished as Lee or CC Sabathia, who commanded a seven-year, $161 free-agent deal at 28.

Still, he has averaged 203 innings over the past three seasons, and his 3.61 ERA in that period ranks eighth among left-handed starters.

Two years from now, he could hit the jackpot.

http://mlbbuzz.yardbarker.com/blog/mlbbuzz...rm_deal/4005222

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ Jan 21, 2011 -> 08:28 AM)
This, people, is why some have been advocating trading Danks.

Thing is, we trade him right now and any World Series chance we have goes right out the window. Personally, I'll take the 2 years of Danks+the draft picks over the alternative at the moment.

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Jan 21, 2011 -> 09:32 AM)
I'm a big fan of Danks, but I have a feeling whoever signs him is gonna extremely overpay for him and not get their money's worth.

It kinda depends on what the team signing him is expecting.

If they're expecting what appears to be a very durable #2-ish starter, who might well snap off a top of the league season at some point if he ever has a stretch where control of his changeup doesn't leave him, then they're right on.

If they're signing him expecting to be their Roy Halladay, they might not get that.

I think he ought to be looking at maybe a little longer of a contract than John Lackey got from Boston, similar money per year though. He hasn't yet been a true ace, so breaking $20 million would be silly, but if you got him at about $15 per year for a while, you might well get 200 innings a year of an ERA in the high 3's, and for a high spending team, that'd be totally acceptable. Plus, so far, there's really no reason to be concerned about his health, which is the biggest positive; if you get him pitching every year of his contract, you're gold.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jan 21, 2011 -> 08:37 AM)
It kinda depends on what the team signing him is expecting.

If they're expecting what appears to be a very durable #2-ish starter, who might well snap off a top of the league season at some point if he ever has a stretch where control of his changeup doesn't leave him, then they're right on.

If they're signing him expecting to be their Roy Halladay, they might not get that.

I think he ought to be looking at maybe a little longer of a contract than John Lackey got from Boston, similar money per year though. He hasn't yet been a true ace, so breaking $20 million would be silly, but if you got him at about $15 per year for a while, you might well get 200 innings a year of an ERA in the high 3's, and for a high spending team, that'd be totally acceptable. Plus, so far, there's really no reason to be concerned about his health, which is the biggest positive; if you get him pitching every year of his contract, you're gold.

For some reason, I think he might break the bank and get real close to $20 million if he stays on the same path. It's not often such a young durable lefty with his numbers is available on the market. That's ace money that he probably won't live up to. That being said, for a high spending team like you mentioned, it kinda works differently. It still would be considered an "overpay" but as long as he stays healthy, a team like the Yankees or Sawx could easily live with the contract.

QUOTE (Rowand44 @ Jan 21, 2011 -> 08:36 AM)
Thing is, we trade him right now and any World Series chance we have goes right out the window. Personally, I'll take the 2 years of Danks+the draft picks over the alternative at the moment.

I agree. I don't want to trade him now. Though we could net a pretty nice haul with him being under club control for two years. But I think you seriously have to consider dealing him next off-season if a long-term deal can't be worked out. I don't want the draft picks. I don't trust the Sox to properly utilize them anyway. But we have proven that we have the ability to raid other teams farm systems and come away with some pretty nice talent.

Edited by Jordan4life

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ Jan 21, 2011 -> 09:14 AM)
I agree. I don't want to trade him now. Though we could net a pretty nice haul with him being under club control for two years. But I think you seriously have to consider dealing him next off-season if a long-term deal can't be worked out. I don't want the draft picks. I don't trust the Sox to properly utilize them anyway. But we have proven that we have the ability to raid other teams farm systems and come away with some pretty nice talent.

With the Dunn signing, we have to go through this season and see what happens. If the team doesn't win the divison, Danks might well be the first guy I would trade if we can't get him to sign a long term deal.