Armando Galarraga traded to ARZ

joeynach

Armando Galarraga was DFA'd by the Tigers today. He had already agreed to a 1 Year $2.3M deal. Since he was DFA'd he can probably be had for a low level prospect or simply claimed if they choose to release him. Question is do you think the sox would have interest. He could be used for the anticipated 15 or so starts that Peavy will likely miss, and then shuffled to the bullpen or minors afterwards. He could also be used on the bullpen if the sox decided to make Sale a starter. Picking up a guy like Galarraga would allow the sox to keep Sale's role static, either soley in the pen or solely a starter, something that Coop has said he wants.

QUOTE (GreatScott82 @ Jan 18, 2011 -> 07:26 PM)
Wouldn't mind him as our emergency starter. Couldn't we just get Freddy for cheaper though?

Probably not. They're similar pitchers, except Galarraga is a lot younger and has proven he can stay healthy.

QUOTE (JoeCoolMan24 @ Jan 18, 2011 -> 07:22 PM)
And $2.3 is actually pretty decent value for him, however, I wouldn't pay him $2.3M for 6-7 starts.

I think it's best to just wait until the 10 days are over and try to sign him as a free agent.

QUOTE (JoeCoolMan24 @ Jan 18, 2011 -> 07:22 PM)
And $2.3 is actually pretty decent value for him, however, I wouldn't pay him $2.3M for 6-7 starts.

A recent article on southsidesox had handicapped Peavy's start this year at 16. To which I agree, I think assuming he will only miss 6 or 7 starts is very optimistic. The sox have already said they will not rush him back as they did from his achilles injury last time. He wound up being awful and having to go down to AAA for a couple starts, then he came back up and was great. This time around they will be much more patient so I am assuming we need 15 starts from somewhere. Pena is a spot starter so 15 is out of the question for him. Sale maybe, but Cooper has said he wants him to have 1 role and 1 role only. If he starts for Peavy what do you do when Peavy comes back, send him to AAA. If you get Galarraga you can keep Sale in his 1 role only mode.

QUOTE (chw42 @ Jan 18, 2011 -> 07:31 PM)
I think it's best to just wait until the 10 days are over and try to sign him as a free agent.

He can be out-righted to detroit's AAA team then if he agrees, though he would still have to be paid $2.3M in the minors.

QUOTE (joeynach @ Jan 18, 2011 -> 09:42 PM)
A recent article on southsidesox had handicapped Peavy's start this year at 16. To which I agree, I think assuming he will only miss 6 or 7 starts is very optimistic. The sox have already said they will not rush him back as they did from his achilles injury last time. He wound up being awful and having to go down to AAA for a couple starts, then he came back up and was great. This time around they will be much more patient so I am assuming we need 15 starts from somewhere. Pena is a spot starter so 15 is out of the question for him. Sale maybe, but Cooper has said he wants him to have 1 role and 1 role only. If he starts for Peavy what do you do when Peavy comes back, send him to AAA. If you get Galarraga you can keep Sale in his 1 role only mode.

Peavy will be fine and in fact, he'll be stronger then he has been in years after rehab. He'll travel with the team north for Opening Day.

Edited by bucket-of-suck

Galarraga seems like he would make a great 7th inning reliever. Absolutely killer against righties and good enough against lefties that you could let him face them in medium leverage situations.

Of course, that's in a perfect world, and it's certain he would rather start ballgames.

QUOTE (joeynach @ Jan 18, 2011 -> 10:42 PM)

16 starts? I don't see him missing half the season, especially after how great Coop has said he looks. I've hear Mid-May as a target, and that would be around 6-7 starts if they utilize offdays in April.

16 starts? I don't see him missing half the season, especially after how great Coop has said he looks. I've hear Mid-May as a target, and that would be around 6-7 starts if they utilize offdays in April.

I wonder if Humber even shows a small portion of his projected talent (When he was a prospect) they can send him up or give him a ST invite to see what Coop can do with him.

Edited by chisoxfan09

QUOTE (chisoxfan09 @ Jan 19, 2011 -> 12:19 AM)
I wonder if Humber even shows a small portion of his projected talent (When he was a prospect) they can send him up or give him a ST invite to see what Coop can do with him.

This has been repeated like 5 times today. I would go into spring training expecting exactly nothing from Humber. Nothing.

To be quite fair, Philip Humber is a pretty terrible pitcher who has pretty much none of the stuff that made him a high draft pick in the first place. Asking anything from Humber other than replacement level production and minor league depth is asking for too much.

To be quite fair, Philip Humber is a pretty terrible pitcher who has pretty much none of the stuff that made him a high draft pick in the first place. Asking anything from Humber other than replacement level production and minor league depth is asking for too much.

I get all that, just didn't appreciate the negativity. It happens.

QUOTE (GreatScott82 @ Jan 18, 2011 -> 08:26 PM)
Wouldn't mind him as our emergency starter. Couldn't we just get Freddy for cheaper though?

The big difference is that with Freddy's arm condition, it might be darn hard for him to be effective out of the bullpen; it's been written that he needs a long time to warm up and stretch out to get his arm ready to throw. Galarraga has done the bouncing-back-and-forth thing already in his career.

QUOTE (chisoxfan09 @ Jan 19, 2011 -> 07:27 AM)
Boy, somebody is really urinating in your Cheerios lately. Give it a rest already.

QUOTE (chisoxfan09 @ Jan 19, 2011 -> 07:37 AM)
I get all that, just didn't appreciate the negativity. It happens.

Yes, me stating that I wouldn't expect a thing from a 28-year old failure of a 'prospect' we claimed off of waivers is hardcore negativity. It's just REALLY annoying whenever we bring in a bum, be it waivers, Rule 5, minor league free agent, that inevitably we get a hoard of 'well, he was once a top prospect, I don't know, 5 years ago. Maybe Coop can do something with him. Low-risk, high reward' yadda, blah, gag, barf. This occurs EVERY year.