Top 5 most underrated players in baseball.

Jordan4life_2007

Was watching MLB Network yesterday and they were talking about some of the most underrated or under the radar players in the game. So who you guys got? Name 5 and only 5. Any position, including relievers, qualifies.

Here's my top 5:

5: Josh Johnson. Yes, we know about Halladay, Lincecum, Sabathia, ect. We hear about those guys every day. But JJ just doesn't get anywhere near the pub that his sick performance warrants. How good is this guy? 33-12, 2.94 ERA, 1.17 WHIP, 8.5 K/9, 2.5 BB/9, 3.41 K/BB. These are the numbers Johnson has sported the last three years. The verdict: Dude is sick.

4: Ryan Zimmerman. Evan Longoria, who I love, has pretty much become the most popular and well-known 3rd baseman over the last few years. And he certainly deserves all the acclaim. But there's a guy in Washington by the name of Zimmerman who's every bit as good and gets nowhere near the pub. Over the last two years, Zimmerman has been an elite-level 14 WAR. That's a mere second behind Longoria [14.2] for all 3B and third overall in all of baseball. He's arguably the best defensive player at his position and gives you a near .900 OPS to boot.

3: Brian McCann. Like with Longoria/Zimmerman, Joe Mauer is the more well known [and 'hot as hell' guy according to most females that I know that know of him]. But you could replace McCann with Mauer and not lose much, if anything, at all. McCann has put up a slash line of .290/.361/.496/.856 the last five years. He's been a 23 WAR replacement level player during those five years [only Mauer at 28 WAR has been worth more]. Not bad value to get a f***ing catcher of this caliber in the SECOND round of the draft. Man can the Braves f***ing scout.

2: Shin-soo Choo. White Sox fans should know how good this guys is as much as anybody. A slash line of .302/.397/.500/.897 the last three years. He's a very good defensive RF and has been worth 10.6 WAR replacement the last two years. That's second in baseball only behind Ben Zobrist [11.5] for right fielders.

1: Joakim Soria. Yes, the undisputed, IMO, most underrated player in baseball. Ask any non-hardcore or even semi-hardcore fan who Soria is and most won't have a clue of whom you're talking about. You want some numbers? How about a 1.84 ERA, 1.005 WHIP, 10.0 K/9, 2.5 BB/9, 4.04 K/BB the last three years. He's recorded 115 saves during those same three years for a team that routinely struggles to hit the 70-win mark. Outside of you know who, and it's just barely, there hasn't been a better closer in the sport than Mr. Soria.

QUOTE (flavum @ Jan 21, 2011 -> 10:15 AM)
Pretty nice list. Good call on McCann. I think he may be quietly building a Hall of Fame career, and nobody knows it yet.

I dunno, I feel like most people do know McCann and how good he is. I would put Josh Johnson at #1, but a lot of that is due to me giving a friend of mine advice years ago to stock up on his cards/signatures on eBay.

If you play fantasy baseball non of these guys are underrated. The only way they can be underrated is you only follow a team and not the MLB (looking at you yankee fans) or are just a casual baseball fan at best. For the rest of us these are common names and we know how good these guys are.

QUOTE (SoxFan562004 @ Jan 21, 2011 -> 10:37 AM)
I'll go with Josh Johnson at #1, he gets talked about on MLBN and ESPN a little, but to me he and King Felix are the best pitchers in their respective leagues.

ESPN was ready to hand a co-cy young award to Johnson and Ubaldo in the first half of the 2010 season. Johnson's a perfectly well known commodity. McCann too, he's regarded as one of the best offensive catchers in the majors.

I'd be on the fence to say Zimmerman is underrated, he doesn't get the credit he deserves because he plays on terrible teams, but I think he's a known threat by most baseball fans.

Choo and Soria are certainly underrated.

QUOTE (SouthsideDon48 @ Jan 21, 2011 -> 10:54 AM)
Here's my top 5 underrated players, in no particular order...

3. Jason Vargas

Happy to see someone else around here is paying attention to him. His home/road splits leave something to be desired, but when he's in Seattle, he's a damn good pitcher.

Guys, this wasn't supposed to be a debate. These are MY top 5 underrated players in the game. Underrated to me is guys who are relatively unrecognized or that don't get the attention that other players do even though their production warrants it. Players that fit that description are generally from small market teams. Teams that unless you have the Extra Innings package you don't get to see unless they happen to be playing your favorite team. And how the hell is Edwin Jackson underrated? Did you mean overpaid?

QUOTE (justBLAZE @ Jan 21, 2011 -> 01:36 PM)
Coincidence or not Jayson Stark published his own underrated team:

That all-underrated team: 1B Dunn 2B Kinsler SS Castro 3B Zimmerman LF Braun CF McCutchen RF Cuddyer C Ruiz SP Johnson Bullpen Soria/Adams

LINKY: http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/columns/stor...&id=6044419

Definitely a coincidence. And kinda spooky. I just thought to make this thread a couple days ago when I was watching the MLB Network. But I do feel justified, not that I needed justification, that Starks has 3 of my top 5 guys on his list. Very good calls on Ruiz and Adams on his part. Castro? I don't think so.

QUOTE (ChrisLikesBaseball @ Jan 21, 2011 -> 11:52 AM)
Happy to see someone else around here is paying attention to him. His home/road splits leave something to be desired, but when he's in Seattle, he's a damn good pitcher.

Hell yea. I agree about his home/road splits and how he's better at home. He still puts up good numbers and I'm the only one out of all my friends that thinks he's a good pitcher. I feel that a lot of people gotta put down the Haterade on Vargas.

QUOTE (SouthsideDon48 @ Jan 21, 2011 -> 02:37 PM)
Hell yea. I agree about his home/road splits and how he's better at home. He still puts up good numbers and I'm the only one out of all my friends that thinks he's a good pitcher. I feel that a lot of people gotta put down the Haterade on Vargas.

I don't feel Vargas warrants the underrated tag. But he's definitely a quality #4ish type starter. I think he'd be exposed if he didn't have the luxury of pitching at Safeco. But he is where he is. Off-topic, could any human being on earth handle that girl in your avatar? I don't think I could last 5 minutes with that ass. Damn.

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ Jan 21, 2011 -> 12:21 PM)
Guys, this wasn't supposed to be a debate. These are MY top 5 underrated players in the game. Underrated to me is guys who are relatively unrecognized or that don't get the attention that other players do even though their production warrants it. Players that fit that description are generally from small market teams. Teams that unless you have the Extra Innings package you don't get to see unless they happen to be playing your favorite team. And how the hell is Edwin Jackson underrated? Did you mean overpaid?

I love how you're quick to say that it ain't supposed to be a debate when other people pick at your underrated picks, yet you're quick to debate my statement that Edwin Jackson is underrated. You crack me up a lot, J4L. :lolhitting:

I actually think Jackson is getting paid exactly what he should be getting paid. I think he's a pitcher that's the same caliber as pitchers such as Danks, Lester, Johnson, Sanchez, Wainwright, Haren, Greinke, and Jiminez. And the fact that a lot of people thinks he's overpaid makes me think he's really underrated.

QUOTE (SouthsideDon48 @ Jan 21, 2011 -> 02:46 PM)
I love how you're quick to say that it ain't supposed to be a debate when other people pick at your underrated picks, yet you're quick to debate my statement that Edwin Jackson is underrated. You crack me up a lot, J4L. :lolhitting:

I actually think Jackson is getting paid exactly what he should be getting paid. I think he's a pitcher that's the same caliber as pitchers such as Danks, Lester, Johnson, Sanchez, Wainwright, Haren, Greinke, and Jiminez. And the fact that a lot of people thinks he's overpaid makes me think he's really underrated.

Wait, what? Are you drunk? PLEASEEEEEEE tell me you're drunk. Then I can let go of this. If you're really being serious then suicide is my only alternative [and when I say that I mean for me, not you]. I just can't accept this. You did not just compare Edwin Jackson to the likes of Lester, Johnson, Wainwright, Haren, Greinke and Ubaldo. You just didn't. Or at least you didn't mean to.

Edited by Jordan4life

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ Jan 21, 2011 -> 03:57 PM)
Wait, what? Are you drunk? PLEASEEEEEEE tell me you're drunk. Then I can let go of this. If you're really being serious then suicide is my only alternative [and when I say that I mean for me, not you]. I just can't accept this. You did not just compare Edwin Jackson to the likes of Lester, Johnson, Wainwright, Haren, Greinke and Ubaldo. You just didn't. Or at least you didn't mean to.

Jackson is underrated, but not on the level of those guys yet.