Bears versus Packers game thread

QUOTE (joesaiditstrue @ Jan 24, 2011 -> 11:30 PM)
first of all, holy s***. this is what's called a witch hunt or cult of personality

take a fan, who already has a pre-existing dislike or hatred towards a player, give them a situation where they can easily rationalize it in their mind into something that in reality doesn't make sense. give this person fellow supporters who share the same dislike of player, and then give them the same dysfunctional ammunition (twitter posts from former players, camera footage of Cutler standing on sideline, poor "body language" that somehow insinuates to this hysterical mob he doesn't care about his team),to come to similar conclusions. the infection has spread, it's unstoppable now

if it's fair for you to make wild accusations that bears staff is lying about his injury, it's fair for me to accuse you for lying through your teeth that you're not a Cutler hater. it's so f***ing apparent from your post it's ridiculous

i'll leave this discussion with this

Contrasting story with similarities to the Cutler injury: Boxers Miguel Cotto and Yuri Foreman squared off at New Yankee Stadium in June of 2010. In the 7th round, Foreman sustained a knee injury (it was apparent that his knee was already lame as it was wrapped in a brace before the fight). Referee Arthur Mercante Jr. told Foreman, "Suck it up champ", and asked him if he could continue. Of course, Foreman acknowledged Mercante's request and continued. Foreman's knee would give out twice more, along with Mercante ignoring a towel throw by Foreman's corner, before succumbing to a vicious body shot by Cotto.

Mercante has received intense scrutiny by the national media and fans for allowing Foreman to continue.

Foreman had surgery on his knee after the fight, and had torn ACL ligaments and a damaged meniscus.

"Rub some dirt on it, Jay!"

Oh for the love of Pete...

Let me repeat. I WAS WEARING THE GUY'S JERSEY DURING THE GAME. I don't hate the guy, and I defended him against the idiotic media all year long. Just go back and read the NFL thread for proof. I wanted the guy to play well as badly as anyone. I wanted the Bears to make the Super Bowl as badly as anyone. I made money betting the Bears in the second half while Jay was out even, so it's not like this is some crazy money-motivated thing.

I have not accused the Bears staff of lying.

The fact that some of you are just dying for me to admit to some irrational hatred of the guy is absolutely precious.

Regardless, we lost the game. Luckily it does not appear that Jay is seriously injured, and hopefully we can make another run at it next season.

I hope the guy can recover from this and move on and it makes him a better football player.

Can we just leave it at that?

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (T R U @ Jan 24, 2011 -> 10:52 PM)
cant we just all agree the Bears are who we thought they were and the only people who thought they were any good were Bears fans?

No, we can't.

You seriously can't recognize how well the Bears defense has played against the Packers, especially when compared against the rest of the league?

This post is just trying to incite anger.

QUOTE (T R U @ Jan 24, 2011 -> 11:52 PM)
cant we just all agree the Bears are who we thought they were and the only people who thought they were any good were Bears fans?

For someone to have to wait until the NFC Championship to say they were "right all along" or whatever makes them look like a damn fool. It's a little late at that point so it's meaningless.

It's like being that pedestrian who insists on crossing the street whenever the hell they want to, when moving cars are approaching the crosswalk, then getting hit by a car. Hey, you're right, you can cross whenever you want. And you did have the right away. But you still got hit by a god damn car.

QUOTE (iamshack @ Jan 24, 2011 -> 11:54 PM)
No, we can't.

You seriously can't recognize how well the Bears defense has played against the Packers, especially when compared against the rest of the league?

This post is just trying to incite anger.

Its not to incite anything, you don't have to agree with me but I didn't think the Bears were that good of a team.. and guess what, im not the only person who thought that as well.. they beat like 3 third string QBs during the season and got a gift of the Seahawks at home in the playoffs.. the Bears were very fortunate this year

QUOTE (T R U @ Jan 24, 2011 -> 11:58 PM)
Its not to incite anything, you don't have to agree with me but I didn't think the Bears were that good of a team.. and guess what, im not the only person who thought that as well.. they beat like 3 third string QBs during the season and got a gift of the Seahawks at home in the playoffs.. the Bears were very fortunate this year

If you wanted to say that you should have said that. Instead, you said the only people who thought the Bears were good were Bears fans.

QUOTE (lostfan @ Jan 24, 2011 -> 11:56 PM)
For someone to have to wait until the NFC Championship to say they were "right all along" or whatever makes them look like a damn fool. It's a little late at that point so it's meaningless.

nah there's just no point in arguing with you people for weeks about the Bears when I don't really care that much to do so.. this way, at least the season is over and I don't have to deal with it

QUOTE (iamshack @ Jan 24, 2011 -> 11:59 PM)
If you wanted to say that you should have said that. Instead, you said the only people who thought the Bears were good were Bears fans.

Because that's true, do you not agree with that?

QUOTE (T R U @ Jan 25, 2011 -> 12:00 AM)
Because that's true, do you not agree with that?

I do not agree with that. For one, the oddsmakers didn't agree with that either. I can certainly concede that the Bears were the underdogs in the NFC Championship game, but that certainly does not equate to them not being "good." That is a testament to the way the Packers have been playing.

QUOTE (JUSTgottaBELIEVE @ Jan 24, 2011 -> 08:30 PM)
just did a quick lookup and median qb rating for nfl starters this year...Orton: 87.5 (#15) and Cutler: 86.3 (#16). so I would say an 85ish qb rating is average by today's standards. by those standards, all 5 of his games were below average with one game borderline average at 82.5

It's 3% above average. Cuter's QB Rating+ was a 103 this year.

QUOTE (iamshack @ Jan 25, 2011 -> 12:03 AM)
I do not agree with that. For one, the oddsmakers didn't agree with that either. I can certainly concede that the Bears were the underdogs in the NFC Championship game, but that certainly does not equate to them not being "good." That is a testament to the way the Packers have been playing.

Really? Because I didn't hear one positive thing about the Bears, or anyone who thought they could win, all week leading up to that game.. there was literally no one that was backing the Bears for this game, it was pretty much a given GB was gonna be in the Super Bowl..

The only people who I heard give the Bears a chance, were Bears fans.. whether they were call ins on ESPNRadio or my mom, but no one else.. that's why I said what I said, and I don't think it was an inaccurate statement nor was it meant to start some fight..

QUOTE (T R U @ Jan 24, 2011 -> 10:58 PM)

Who else did they beat, since you talk about the bad teams, who were the other wins?

Hint: They beat 2 of the other 3 final four teams.

Edited by RockRaines

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Jan 25, 2011 -> 12:06 AM)
Who else did they beat, since you talk about the bad teams, who were the other wins?

Hint: They beat 2 of the other 3 final four teams.

lol

I don't need any hints, the Bears were a decent team this year.. get over it

QUOTE (T R U @ Jan 24, 2011 -> 11:06 PM)
Really? Because I didn't hear one positive thing about the Bears, or anyone who thought they could win, all week leading up to that game.. there was literally no one that was backing the Bears for this game, it was pretty much a given GB was gonna be in the Super Bowl..

The only people who I heard give the Bears a chance, were Bears fans.. whether they were call ins on ESPNRadio or my mom, but no one else.. that's why I said what I said, and I don't think it was an inaccurate statement nor was it meant to start some fight..

One of those backup QBs also beat the Eagles at Lincoln Financial Field.

Yes, the Bears were fortunate, but they also executed when they should have.

QUOTE (chw42 @ Jan 25, 2011 -> 12:09 AM)
One of those backup QBs also beat the Eagles at Lincoln Financial Field.

Yes, the Bears were fortunate, but they also executed when they should have.

Thats fine, but the point is that no one really had any faith in the Bears, except Bears fans.. I don't see how that isn't agreed upon here.. no one gave them any credit pretty much all year long

QUOTE (T R U @ Jan 24, 2011 -> 11:06 PM)

Well, I deliberately did not pay any attention to predictions leading up to the game because honestly, the media does dislike Jay Cutler, they love the Packers, and we were 3.5 point underdogs. By definition, the Packers are supposed to win the game, so you should not be shocked that most people predicted them to. I did however hear John Clayton pick the Bears.

But your argument wasn't that the Packers were the better team. Your argument was that no one thought the Bears were a "good" team, outside of Bears fans. That's a pretty huge distinction, don't you think?

QUOTE (iamshack @ Jan 25, 2011 -> 12:12 AM)
But your argument wasn't that the Packers were the better team. Your argument was that no one thought the Bears were a "good" team, outside of Bears fans. That's a pretty huge distinction, don't you think?

This isn't just about the Packers game, no one has thought the Bears were a good team all year.. all season long, people just weren't buying on them being one of the better teams in the league

QUOTE (T R U @ Jan 24, 2011 -> 11:14 PM)
This isn't just about the Packers game, no one has thought the Bears were a good team all year.. all season long, people just weren't buying on them being one of the better teams in the league

Good team, yes. Great team, no.

QUOTE (T R U @ Jan 24, 2011 -> 11:10 PM)
Thats fine, but the point is that no one really had any faith in the Bears, except Bears fans.. I don't see how that isn't agreed upon here.. no one gave them any credit pretty much all year long

That's because everybody in the country pretty much took up your point of view - how the Bears were fortunate to face backup QBs. Well guess what, other playoff teams did too and some of them LOST. The Packers lost to Drew Stanton, the Bears didn't. The Eagles lost to Joe Webb, the Bears didn't.

If you get the whole "oh look how many backups they faced" out of your head, you'll see that the Bears were one of the top 4 teams in the NFC this season and that they did have a chance to win yesterday.

Hell, it took Green Bay a pick six, an injured Cutler, and one miracle trip of Brian Urlacher by Rodgers for them to pull that game out yesterday. And the Packers are the best team in the NFC.

QUOTE (chw42 @ Jan 25, 2011 -> 12:15 AM)
That's because everybody in the country pretty much took up your point of view - how the Bears were fortunate to face backup QBs. Well guess what, other playoff teams did too and some of them LOST. The Packers lost to Drew Stanton, the Bears didn't. The Eagles lost to Joe Webb, the Bears didn't.

If you get the whole "oh look how many backups they faced" out of your head, you'll see that the Bears were one of the top 4 teams in the NFC this season and that they did have a chance to win yesterday.

Hell, it took Green Bay a pick six, an injured Cutler, and one miracle trip of Brian Urlacher by Rodgers for them to pull that game out yesterday. And the Packers are the best team in the NFC.

I was just citing some instances of the Bears being fortunate, im not saying they only made the playoffs by beating depleted teams..

And lets not try to make it sound like the Bears gave away the game against the Packers, it took a furious comeback by Hanie to make it look close, the Packers were well in control of that game for the majority of it..

QUOTE (T R U @ Jan 24, 2011 -> 11:17 PM)
I was just citing some instances of the Bears being fortunate, im not saying they only made the playoffs by beating depleted teams..

And lets not try to make it sound like the Bears gave away the game against the Packers, it took a furious comeback by Hanie to make it look close, the Packers were well in control of that game for the majority of it..

But the truth of the matter is, the final score was pretty close and the Bears did have a chance to at least tie the game up.

The Packers did dominate the majority of the game. But it was not a easy win.

QUOTE (chw42 @ Jan 25, 2011 -> 12:20 AM)
But the truth of the matter is, the final score was pretty close and the Bears did have a chance to at least tie the game up.

The Packers did dominate the majority of the game. But it was not a easy win.

Yes you are right, the final score was close and the Bears did have a chance to at least tie the game.. but thats what happens when you have a third string QB out there.

No, the Packers did not dominate it, but they were in control of the game for the majority of it.. not dominated, in control..

I'm sorry but you just can't say a team isn't very good when they make it to the title game in their conference. I was one of the people all year who wasn't sold on them as a legit contender and yes they had some good fortune go there way but they still managed to beat 3 of the better teams in football this year and go all the way to the NFC title game, they were clearly a very good team, there's really no way to argue against that.