Bears versus Packers game thread

QUOTE (DrunkBomber @ Jan 25, 2011 -> 06:47 PM)
He was 25 and a pro bowler when they traded for him so what are you talking about?

He's now in his 5th year in the league, his 4th as a full time starter, and aside from the 76 rating from 2009 (all the INT's), he's posted a QB Rating of 86-88 in every year of his career.

You really do hope that a long term, franchise level QB will take a bigger step forwards at some point (although yeah there are the qualifiers...lots of offensive coordinators, lack of protection in Chicago, the fact that he was viewed as raw coming out).

It's too early to start really questioning things with him...but if there's a season next year, you'd really like to see some serious improvement from him. AN 86-88 QB rating is solidly in the middle of the pack for QB's every year, and I don't think that's what the Bears were hoping for when they traded for him.

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (DrunkBomber @ Jan 25, 2011 -> 05:47 PM)
He was 25 and a pro bowler when they traded for him so what are you talking about?

All I am saying is that going from Orton to Cutler was a relatively small improvement at the QB position compared to the other team needs at the time of the trade. In my opinion, they would have been wise to utilize those resources in a different manner. I know the Bears suck at early round drafting but those draft picks combined with the cash tied up into Cutler's contract could have been put to better use at improving WR, OL, etc. I think it's ironic that Kyle freakin Orton had a better passer rating than Jay Cutler in each of the last two seasons...go figure

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jan 25, 2011 -> 05:51 PM)
He's now in his 5th year in the league, his 4th as a full time starter, and aside from the 76 rating from 2009 (all the INT's), he's posted a QB Rating of 86-88 in every year of his career.

You really do hope that a long term, franchise level QB will take a bigger step forwards at some point (although yeah there are the qualifiers...lots of offensive coordinators, lack of protection in Chicago, the fact that he was viewed as raw coming out).

It's too early to start really questioning things with him...but if there's a season next year, you'd really like to see some serious improvement from him. AN 86-88 QB rating is solidly in the middle of the pack for QB's every year, and I don't think that's what the Bears were hoping for when they traded for him.

I agree. He's definitely not the weakest link. He's an above average QB but not a guy that will take you to the next level IMO. They are fully invested though at this point so they better hope he takes the next step soon.

QUOTE (JUSTgottaBELIEVE @ Jan 25, 2011 -> 06:16 PM)
All I am saying is that going from Orton to Cutler was a relatively small improvement at the QB position compared to the other team needs at the time of the trade. In my opinion, they would have been wise to utilize those resources in a different manner. I know the Bears suck at early round drafting but those draft picks combined with the cash tied up into Cutler's contract could have been put to better use at improving WR, OL, etc. I think it's ironic that Kyle freakin Orton had a better passer rating than Jay Cutler in each of the last two seasons...go figure

Kyle Ortons team was garbage and he was benched for Tebow at the end of the year. All his numbers were from mop up duty when his team was getting blown out. I get it, you dont like Jay Cutler but your opinion is just that, an opinion.

QUOTE (JUSTgottaBELIEVE @ Jan 25, 2011 -> 06:22 PM)
I agree. He's definitely not the weakest link. He's an above average QB but not a guy that will take you to the next level IMO. They are fully invested though at this point so they better hope he takes the next step soon.

the Bears arent constructed to need a QB to take them to the next level. An above average qb should be fine with an improved OL and some better weapons.

QUOTE (DrunkBomber @ Jan 25, 2011 -> 06:30 PM)
the Bears arent constructed to need a QB to take them to the next level. An above average qb should be fine with an improved OL and some better weapons.

so then you agree with my point. they would have been better off utilizing those resources to improve other aspects of the team.

QUOTE (DrunkBomber @ Jan 25, 2011 -> 06:29 PM)
Kyle Ortons team was garbage and he was benched for Tebow at the end of the year. All his numbers were from mop up duty when his team was getting blown out. I get it, you dont like Jay Cutler but your opinion is just that, an opinion.

the broncos were 8-8 in 2009. what was denver's record with cutler at qb in 2007 and 2008? i guess the stats from all 3 years were in mop up time?

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jan 25, 2011 -> 06:51 PM)

Then they should've got him some f***ing O-linemen and WRs.

Yeah I know... dead horse, etc.

QUOTE (JUSTgottaBELIEVE @ Jan 25, 2011 -> 05:44 PM)
If I was a Bears fan I would be more concerned about Cutler's ability as a QB and ability to win the big game in this league rather than his attitude, ability to play through an injury, etc. Just think about how much the bears gave up for a "franchise" QB (in terms of draft picks, personnel, and cash) and you would have thought they traded for Drew Brees or Tom Brady not Jay Cutler who has proven to be an above average QB in this league but not one to take you over the top. That's what I would be upset about.

I look at a guy who got sacked 52 times, hurried at least another 150-200, had the league's 22nd ranked rushing attack, has one of the worst crops of WR in the league, and still pulled off an 87 QB rating and think "God damn, if Angelo put a hint of talent around him he'd dominate".

Cutler is very, very good.

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ Jan 25, 2011 -> 06:45 PM)
I look at a guy who got sacked 52 times, hurried at least another 150-200, had the league's 22nd ranked rushing attack, has one of the worst crops of WR in the league, and still pulled off an 87 QB rating and think "God damn, if Angelo put a hint of talent around him he'd dominate".

Cutler is very, very good.

I thought for a minute you were describing the Packers/Aaron Rodgers until you got to the WR position and QB rating that is...

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Jan 25, 2011 -> 03:28 PM)
He was the starting QB on a team playing for a spot in the Super Bowl. I don't see what the difference is.

The Patriots were winning when Brady left and had Drew Bledsoe as the back up. The Bears were down 14 and had Todd Collins coming in. Gigantic difference. Basically, unless something really crazy happened, when Cutler was done, so were the Bears. Guys play hurt all the time. Some guys can block it out enough to perform, some guys can't. If Cutler didn't think he could, or if he figured he couldn't, fine. Who knows, maybe going out again injured him even worse and he missed a part of next season. But it was perhaps the biggest game Cutler will ever play. Walking off the field after a 3 and out, and standing on the sidelines isn't the way most would envision a franchise QB leaving a championship game injured, especially considering the replacement.

I'm not calling him a p**** or anything like that, because if he doesn't think he can go, he's going to be bad anyway. I just think some guys almost use being hurt as motivation to be even better, and somehow suck it up during play. I've seen more than a couple players limp around like they are almost crippled then find it in them to play at full strength for 5 to 7 seconds then limp around again. Jay is apparently not one of those guys. We've all had twisted ankles and such, and sometimes the pain is too great to go shovel the driveway, but if you're in high school and you have a game that night, its good to go. It was good enough for him to go out in the first series of the second half. I really just have trouble wondering why there was no chance after that, what with the game's meaning, the score of the game and the alternative.

Edited by Dick Allen

QUOTE (fathom @ Jan 25, 2011 -> 03:01 PM)
Another thought I had is that Cutler knows what play he got injured on, as do the Bears, but they don't want to state what play it was so as not to get the offensive lineman crucified in Chicago for that particular play.

Or they want to use the injury as an excuse for him sucking pretty much the whole game. If it was at the end of the half, what was the problem the rest of the time? Aikman and Buck said he wasn't very accurate warming up, but I really don't know if that means much. Maybe he's getting loose or screwing around. The only guys I really pay much attention to before the game are kickers.

QUOTE (JUSTgottaBELIEVE @ Jan 25, 2011 -> 06:34 PM)
so then you agree with my point. they would have been better off utilizing those resources to improve other aspects of the team.

No I dont agree with your post. I liked the trade then and I still do, and yes some of it has to do with our draft history in early rounds. Im talking about this year with Orton and Cutler. Its hilarious that you would try to use only qb rating to determine who had a better year. Ill take the 2 seed in the NFC and trip to the NFC Championship and you can have the 4-12 record or whatever it is and the higher passer rating.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Jan 25, 2011 -> 06:57 PM)
The Patriots were winning when Brady left and had Drew Bledsoe as the back up. The Bears were down 14 and had Todd Collins coming in. Gigantic difference. Basically, unless something really crazy happened, when Cutler was done, so were the Bears. Guys play hurt all the time. Some guys can block it out enough to perform, some guys can't. If Cutler didn't think he could, or if he figured he couldn't, fine. Who knows, maybe going out again injured him even worse and he missed a part of next season. But it was perhaps the biggest game Cutler will ever play. Walking off the field after a 3 and out, and standing on the sidelines isn't the way most would envision a franchise QB leaving a championship game injured, especially considering the replacement.

I'm not calling him a p**** or anything like that, because if he doesn't think he can go, he's going to be bad anyway. I just think some guys almost use being hurt as motivation to be even better, and somehow suck it up during play. I've seen more than a couple players limp around like they are almost crippled then find it in them to play at full strength for 5 to 7 seconds then limp around again. Jay is apparently not one of those guys. We've all had twisted ankles and such, and sometimes the pain is too great to go shovel the driveway, but if you're in high school and you have a game that night, its good to go. It was good enough for him to go out in the first series of the second half. I really just have trouble wondering why there was no chance after that, what with the game's meaning, the score of the game and the alternative.

Insanity.

QUOTE (DrunkBomber @ Jan 25, 2011 -> 08:05 PM)
No I dont agree with your post. I liked the trade then and I still do, and yes some of it has to do with our draft history in early rounds. Im talking about this year with Orton and Cutler. Its hilarious that you would try to use only qb rating to determine who had a better year. Ill take the 2 seed in the NFC and trip to the NFC Championship and you can have the 4-12 record or whatever it is and the higher passer rating.

Never said he had a better year simply stated he had a higher qb this year and last. Its hilarious that you even compare the bears to the broncos this year and use win total as the sole basis for saying that cutler had a better year. You think cutler would have made the playoffs with that denver defense? Now that's hilarious

Using that logic I guess cutler also had a better year than michael vick too since the bears won more games than the eagles and advanced two rounds further in the playoffs

Edited by JUSTgottaBELIEVE

QUOTE (iamshack @ Jan 25, 2011 -> 04:07 PM)
Would the training staff have had braces on hand to try and brace Cutler's knee so he could try and gain some stability with it? I know they would not have had a fitted brace necessarily, but is that the sort of thing the medical team would have on hand?

Does it seem odd to you that they didn't have him in some kind of brace while he was on the sidelines?

They would have the braces on the sideline. It is strange that they didn't have him in one. I was at the game and when they reported he had a knee injury, it was the first thing I looked for. It is possible they tried him with it in the locker room at half time and he was still unstable even with it. This whole injury deals more with instability not pain. If the brace didn't make it stable enough (if they tried one and I can't imagine they didn't) the coaches and medical staff wouldn't let him go back in.

QUOTE (fathom @ Jan 25, 2011 -> 04:13 PM)
I thought he had surgery for loose shoulder capsules, which basically any pitcher will get over time.

Exactly right. However this is a big difference than a reconstruction where they need to rebuild and trnasplant tissue for usually the rotator cuff. Tightening the capsule is an easy procedure with minimal rehab. Mostly just stretching and joint mobilization.

QUOTE (ptatc @ Jan 25, 2011 -> 09:38 PM)
They would have the braces on the sideline. It is strange that they didn't have him in one. I was at the game and when they reported he had a knee injury, it was the first thing I looked for. It is possible they tried him with it in the locker room at half time and he was still unstable even with it. This whole injury deals more with instability not pain. If the brace didn't make it stable enough (if they tried one and I can't imagine they didn't) the coaches and medical staff wouldn't let him go back in.

I just can't understand why they wouldn't have had him in one on the sidelines just for precautionary measures.

QUOTE (iamshack @ Jan 25, 2011 -> 09:02 PM)
I just can't understand why they wouldn't have had him in one on the sidelines just for precautionary measures.

They wouldn't put him in one if he wasn't going back in. However, I'm surprised he wasn't wrapped in ice.