Bears versus Packers game thread

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (fathom @ Jan 23, 2011 -> 06:07 PM)
Bears now saying it was their team doctors that pulled Cutler, which goes against what every sideline reporter was saying.

I knew it was an injured knee, but I didn't hear the extent. I wonder how bad his bloody elbow was. I saw him on the bike though. Maybe I missed it while I was yelling at the tv.

QUOTE (nitetrain8601 @ Jan 23, 2011 -> 06:18 PM)
Cutler took himself out. Are you seriously saying lovie shouldve risked collins throwing an int? The.bears had no chance with collins. Props for lovie recognizing that early enough

They ran it twice with Hanie in the 3rd.

No excuse for that terrible 3rd and 3 play, either.

ptact could correct me, but I believe you can still have some mobility with partially torn ligaments in the knee. you just won't be able to do much of anything with that leg, certainly not run and throw. I'm withholding any judgement against Cutler until we really know what happened. As a rule, I don't take anything reported via twitter to be anything more than wild speculation.

QUOTE (StrangeSox @ Jan 23, 2011 -> 06:25 PM)
ptact could correct me, but I believe you can still have some mobility with partially torn ligaments in the knee. you just won't be able to do much of anything with that leg, certainly not run and throw. I'm withholding any judgement against Cutler until we really know what happened. As a rule, I don't take anything reported via twitter to be anything more than wild speculation.

Depends on which one it is exactly. If you lose an ACL, you literally have no support in your leg on that side.

QUOTE (nitetrain8601 @ Jan 23, 2011 -> 06:18 PM)
Cutler took himself out. Are you seriously saying lovie shouldve risked collins throwing an int? The.bears had no chance with collins. Props for lovie recognizing that early enough

No, that's not what I'm saying at all.

Had he put kept Collins in for two more plays, and put Hanie in in the 4th, he could have had a backup to Hanie in case he got hurt. It's bad coaching when you forget about a rule like that. Especially when all they did was run the ball two times with Hanie in there for the 3rd anyways.

QUOTE (Nyx81 @ Jan 23, 2011 -> 07:32 PM)
If his knee was that badly injured, it was premature of me to be so hard on him for leaving the game. I can't say much else other that "this sucks". Bulls are now front and center.

Well, I think it's unclear how bad it was. Lovie didn't do him any favors in his press conference, I'll say that. And Cutler said he hopes it's not a question of surgery. So I don't think it's clear that it WAS bad, either.

QUOTE (chw42 @ Jan 23, 2011 -> 06:29 PM)
No, that's not what I'm saying at all.

Had he put kept Collins in for two more plays, and put Hanie in in the 4th, he could have had a backup to Hanie in case he got hurt. It's bad coaching when you forget about a rule like that. Especially when all they did was run the ball two times with Hanie in there for the 3rd anyways.

So if Lovie would have waited 2 more plays and Hanie eventually got hurt, he could have put Collins back into the game instead of running a wildcat or having Earl Bennett QB. Seeing what I've seen of Collins, the latter was the better option.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Jan 23, 2011 -> 07:35 PM)
So if Lovie would have waited 2 more plays and Hanie eventually got hurt, he could have put Collins back into the game instead of running a wildcat or having Earl Bennett QB. Seeing what I've seen of Collins, the latter was the better option.

Totally. Making Collins the number 2 was negligent. Leaving him in any longer would've been criminal.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Jan 23, 2011 -> 06:35 PM)

You do have a point.

But hypothetically say that Cutler feels better in the 4th and can come back. Then what Lovie did with Hanie would have looked pretty bad. Sure, the move didn't cost them the game or anything, but it's something you expect an NFL coach to know and utilize.

QUOTE (fathom @ Jan 23, 2011 -> 06:39 PM)
What did Lovie say in the press conference about Cutler?

Did the Lovie two-step: (1) say something vague; and (2) snap at the reporters who try to get behind his coach-speak.

He said it was a "team decision," couldn't identify the play when it happened, and then got pissed off at the follow-up questions. Just like when Cutler had the concussion earlier this year. Poorly handled.

QUOTE (chw42 @ Jan 23, 2011 -> 06:41 PM)
You do have a point.

But hypothetically say that Cutler feels better in the 4th and can come back. Then what Lovie did with Hanie would have looked pretty bad. Sure, the move didn't cost them the game or anything, but it's something you expect an NFL coach to know and utilize.

They had to get Collins out of there, and the way it was going who is to say even if they were just handoffs, he wouldn't have fumbled or done something else, and the odds of Cutler feeling better while standing out in the cold doing nothing is about the same as Joe Buck being named Soxtalk's most popular broadcaster.

QUOTE (maggsmaggs @ Jan 23, 2011 -> 06:57 PM)
I hope Cutler tore something because guys making $7 million playing to go to the Super Bowl should not come out because of pain. If he tore it, I will understand, but if it just hurt too much that is ridiculous. Most likely he tore the labia of his vagina.

IMO, whether its fair or not, If he doesn't require surgery, his taking a seat will be the defining moment of his career unless he wins a Super Bowl.

"Jay was hurt," Urlacher said. "I don't question his toughness. He's tough as hell. He's one of the toughest guys on our football team. He doesn't b****. He doesn't complain when he gets hit. He goes out there and plays his ass off every Sunday. He practices every single day. So, no, we don't question his toughness."

Cutler tried to test the knee by riding a stationary bike on the sideline, where he remained throughout the game.

Shortly after the game, fans began calling sports talk shows to question Cutler's toughness. Urlacher was told that some players around the league were doing the same via Twitter.

"Nothing like jealous people who are sitting home watching," Urlacher said. "Players around the league you said, right? Yeah, love jealous people when they're watching our game on TV while their season is over."

In a postgame show on Fox, Urlacher again defended his quarterback when told fans were critical.

"Who cares what they think?" he said. "That's my response to them. They are not playing in this game. Jay was hurt, obviously. There's no reason for him to be out there if he can't get it done. He was obviously hurt pretty bad or he would have played.

"For them to question his toughness is stupid to me."

Packers players were surprised Cutler didn't come back.

"You know if he doesn't come back it had to be serious, not to come back and play in this game," Charles Woodson said.

Bears center Olin Kreutz said he could see Cutler's leg shaking during a huddle in the second quarter.

Cutler is believed to have injured his knee on the final series of the first half.

Bears coach Lovie Smith said Cutler was disappointed.

"He was hurt, and he couldn't go," Smith said. "Trainers, doctors and all, they are the ones who really made that decision. As far as Jay he is like everyone else; he was disappointed he couldn't go out and play to help his team win."

Smith wasn't happy when asked again about Cutler not returning.

"He hurt his knee and he was out, all right? There's nothing else for me to tell you on that," Smith said. "I don't know exactly when it happened. He couldn't go, and we moved on. Let's go to some other questions, how about that?"

Bears receiver Rashied Davis also supported Cutler.

"You know yourself better than anybody, and Jay is a very tough guy. You've seen it," Davis said. "For him to go out of a game, something had to be wrong. I don't know what it is, but Jay is a pretty tough dude."

Link

QUOTE (JorgeFabregas @ Jan 23, 2011 -> 07:08 PM)
Anyone who watches Cutler play knows he's tough. He doesn't slide. He hangs in there behind a poor line. This is just silly.

Exactly. The guy takes huge hits at the end of almost every run. I don't think he just decided to quit.