Bears versus Packers game thread

QUOTE (HeGone33 @ Jan 24, 2011 -> 09:51 AM)
And you base this on what? His stellar first half performance prior to getting hurt?

If Cutler was healthy, I'm pretty sure the Packers D wouldn't haven't taken it easy like they did, and continued to dominate.

The fact that the Bears completely dominated the 2nd half with the worst 2nd stringer in the history of the NFL and their 3rd stringer playing and had multiple chances to tie it. If you are so blind you can't see this then don't bother replying.

Edited by Steve9347

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (SoxFan1 @ Jan 23, 2011 -> 08:04 PM)
He CLEARLY limped off the field after the first drive in the 2nd half.

And you could see it had been some time since he had planted and thrown a football. I can't question Jay's toughness and I hope all of those f***ing idiots that questioned it on twitter STFU.

QUOTE (Middle Buffalo @ Jan 23, 2011 -> 08:32 PM)
Cutler has been sacked and beaten up for 2 years, yet I've never heard him say anything negative about his line's peformance. He has receivers (mainly Knox and Hester) who frequently give up on balls and don't break up poor throws, but he doesn't lash out at them like Marino, Rivers, and PManning have done. And, yet, he's got a rep as a bad teammate. I don't get it.

He left the game today and stayed on the sideline injured. That doesn't mean his knee was stable enough to plant for throws. He wasn't pouting. When they showed him on the bike on the sidelines, it's not like he was doing his best Lance Armstrong impression. He was peddling slowly, and he problably didn't show enough strength and range of motion to go back into the game. When Taylor scored, they showed him smile and cheer. When Hainie was on the bench, Cutler was next to him going over plays. Is that being a bad teammate?

All the guys who tweeted about him quitting are pathetic and they really should know better. MJD didn't play his last few games this year while his team was fighting for a playoff spot. Should his toughness be questioned? Lance Moore missed 9 games in '09 while his team was having their best season ever. This season, he's part of the team that was eliminated by the worst team in playoff history. Is his coomitment to winning up for debate? Deion Sanders never met a player on the football field that he wasn't afraid to hit. I guess there's no debate there. Once a loudmouth, always a loudmouth. Yet they question Cutler's toughness and commitment. This is kind of like the David Wells - Frank Thomas thing. What tools. Need attention much?

:notworthy

QUOTE (Milkman delivers @ Jan 24, 2011 -> 09:44 AM)
And all but two happened in the 1940's or earlier. Everyone is satisfied with 1985, though. Perhaps they're more like the Pittsburgh Pirates or the San Francisco Giants (before this year) of the NFL.

My point remains. They've hardly done anything in over 50 years.

your point was they've have never done anything to earn a reputation has a "historically" good team and are just like the Cubs where they've never done anything to earn that reputation. Your point is still wrong. They have earned the title as won of the best franchises in the NFL, historically. If you want to qualify and say modern era or Super Bowl era, you have a small point, as they've won only one Super Bowl. However, the Cubs haven't even done that.

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ Jan 24, 2011 -> 09:32 AM)
I still love Jay Cutler. Dude is the best we've ever had.

We had some tough luck here, the way that defense played in the 2nd half and how we had a few chances to tie the game on drives... if Cutler is healthy we win that game.

I feel the worst for Brian Urlacher. This was his best chance to win a Super Bowl ring.

Did Brian Urlacher not do the same damn thing to his own teammate?

Didn't he sit on his couch and watch our game with a Yahoo! reporter and tell him that Forte doesn't make anyone miss? While Forte happened to be injured?

Ok, Brian.

Yahoo

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ Jan 24, 2011 -> 10:04 AM)
The fact that the Bears completely dominated the 2nd half with the worst 2nd stringer in the history of the NFL and their 3rd stringer playing and had multiple chances to tie it. If you are so blind you can't see this then don't bother replying.

And if you can't see that Cutler was playing one of the worst games of his career, you should watch the game again. There was no way the Bears were going to win that game with the way he was playing, whether it was from injury or nerves or whatever. He was really really bad when he was in there.

Report: Cutler has MCL tear

After Jay Cutler left Sunday’s game with a knee injury, NFL Network analyst Deion Sanders jokes that he “better see” Dr. James Andrews operate live on Cutler or he wouldn’t be satisfied with Cutler leaving the game.

It sounds like a surgery may indeed be in Cutler’s future.

Sean Jensen of the Chicago Sun-Times reports Cutler tore his MCL during the loss to the Packers. The team is determining the grade of tear, which could help determine if the injury could heal naturally.

As MDS pointed out earlier, Cutler has only missed one start in his career. That was for a concussion in 2010.

Whether it was injury, whether it wasn't, it's pretty clear that Jay's attitude and reputation around the league has caught up with him a bit. He's not going to get the benefit of the doubt, and it's difficult to really say he deserves it. I'm not in any locker rooms and I don't know the guy personally, but it become pretty alarmingly clear that the guy rubs just about everyone the wrong way.

I've been defending Jay for most of the year against the potshots taken at him by the national media, but you've got to wonder what kind of effect this has on him, on our team, etc.

I don't feel bad for Jay crying at his locker room though. Maybe he should have thought of this when he did whatever he has done to cause people to question him in this way.

I want to give my points. I was at the game had incredible seats right under the press box at the 50 yard line. First time ever at revamped Soldier Field, that place sucks.

First off Devin Hester is brutal as a WR. The overthrown pass in the 1st quarter was because Hester quit on the route something he and Knox do often. Cutler was visablly upset.

Curtler had a terrible half. If he got hurt in first quarter than fine but if not he has no excuse for how bad he played. I am not going to question his toughness as it seems to be there but I do not think he makes any of his teammates better. I have never played in the NFL so I am not sure if the intangibles mean anything but he does not have them. His play is what is leading to the questions of toughness. He was abysmal in the first half and Hanie was under the same pressue as Cutler in the second half but he handled it better.

The field position was huge and Brad Maynard had a terrible game as did Hester on special teams.

Exactly what does Mike Martz do well? Down 21-7 they run a hurry up and score rather easily. Dom Capers runs a complex blitz package and scheme that the Packers were not allowed to run on this drive and the defense was confused. Then down 21-14 with two time outs and 60 yards to cover the Bears kick back into lax mode burn a stupid timeout because the genius is trying to out think everyone instead of just running to get he first down. Then you run a sweep with Earl Bennett? If you are going to run that, run it with a fast guy (Heaster or Knox). Also Bennett was not even used in the first half for some reason. Real bad coaching by Martz yesterday. For continuity sake though he needs to stick around. Oh and Todd Collins, really? What do they look at in practice. Then to come out throwing with Collins for christ sake. Hanie was under pressure but he has better pocket presence than Cutler. Cutler does not move in the pocket while Hanie did. I am sure Cutler has more talent...at least that is what I am told.

Rod Maranelli did a great job in his first season as DC.

Lovie got them to the NFC Championship game......although my beef with him was not tryign the FG or going for it when they were on the 31 yard line although again Maynard did nothing.

The Packers special teams pinned the Bears deep all day and that was huge.

Overall the better team won and the Bears have what looks like a good back-up QB. The Bears lost Dan Lefeavor because Martz wanted to pay Collins for some reason.

The Packers did not let up when Hanie came in the game. The officiating was hores*** as well.

Edited by Harry Chappas

QUOTE (Milkman delivers @ Jan 23, 2011 -> 10:55 PM)
Urlacher is such a tool. I wish Bas Ruttan kicked his ass when he had the chance.

huh? Why is he a tool exactly? For defending his QB? A lot of s*** for Bears fans to b**** about this morning...It seems weird for you to pick Urlacher defending Cutler and the Bears being like the Cubs, but to each his own.

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ Jan 24, 2011 -> 10:04 AM)

So the Packers completeley dominated the first half, the Bears completely dominated the second half automatically equals a Bears win? Where is that rule written?

If you think for one second the Packers didn't let up a bit on D you are blind, case in point, look what their D did when it had to each time in the 2nd half. Pick 6 then pick, game over. Cutler scored one touchdown on the Packers in 2.5 games, you have nothing to say he would have done it 2 times yesterday in the 2nd half.....

QUOTE (ptatc @ Jan 24, 2011 -> 11:18 AM)
your point was they've have never done anything to earn a reputation has a "historically" good team and are just like the Cubs where they've never done anything to earn that reputation. Your point is still wrong. They have earned the title as won of the best franchises in the NFL, historically. If you want to qualify and say modern era or Super Bowl era, you have a small point, as they've won only one Super Bowl. However, the Cubs haven't even done that.

Fine, they have done nothing to earn that reputation in the modern era. I'm tired of rooting for a team that never does anything. How about that?

QUOTE (HeGone33 @ Jan 24, 2011 -> 10:32 AM)
So the Packers completeley dominated the first half, the Bears completely dominated the second half automatically equals a Bears win? Where is that rule written?

If you think for one second the Packers didn't let up a bit on D you are blind, case in point, look what their D did when it had to each time in the 2nd half. Pick 6 then pick, game over. Cutler scored one touchdown on the Packers in 2.5 games, you have nothing to say he would have done it 2 times yesterday in the 2nd half.....

Their offense took it down a notch as well.

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Jan 24, 2011 -> 10:14 AM)
I agree. And other than when Starks juked the hell out of him on to convert the 2nd & 15, he played a helluva game.

That was Brandon Jackson, and yeah, that was a rough one but Urlacher was just awesome yesterday.

QUOTE (Controlled Chaos @ Jan 24, 2011 -> 11:28 AM)
huh? Why is he a tool exactly? For defending his QB? A lot of s*** for Bears fans to b**** about this morning...It seems weird for you to pick Urlacher defending Cutler and the Bears being like the Cubs, but to each his own.

I'm talking about what Urlacher said about the fans and other players watching at home, added to things he's done in the past. Defending the QB is great.

QUOTE (iamshack @ Jan 24, 2011 -> 08:26 AM)
Whether it was injury, whether it wasn't, it's pretty clear that Jay's attitude and reputation around the league has caught up with him a bit. He's not going to get the benefit of the doubt, and it's difficult to really say he deserves it. I'm not in any locker rooms and I don't know the guy personally, but it become pretty alarmingly clear that the guy rubs just about everyone the wrong way.

I've been defending Jay for most of the year against the potshots taken at him by the national media, but you've got to wonder what kind of effect this has on him, on our team, etc.

I don't feel bad for Jay crying at his locker room though. Maybe he should have thought of this when he did whatever he has done to cause people to question him in this way.

It is pretty clear that his teammates, who didn't always like him (if you want to believe the reports of what Urlacher had once said about Jay), certainly like him now. They are all coming to his back and these are guys that are tough men themselves (Kreutz/Urlacher). I think it is pretty naive of you to go arm chair about what he could/couldnt' play through.

Jay is well liked in that lockeroom and you know what, thats all that matters to me. But the national media doesn't like him cause he treats us poorly, whahaa whaaah wahaa. f*** YOU MEDIA.

If this is true, it will be interesting if they try surgery. Surgery on this injury isn't much better than conservative treatment. I wonder why he didn't have a brace on? It is pretty irresponsible to not have at least a lateral leg brace on him after the injury.

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Jan 24, 2011 -> 10:40 AM)
It is pretty clear that his teammates, who didn't always like him (if you want to believe the reports of what Urlacher had once said about Jay), certainly like him now. They are all coming to his back and these are guys that are tough men themselves (Kreutz/Urlacher). I think it is pretty naive of you to go arm chair about what he could/couldnt' play through.

Jay is well liked in that lockeroom and you know what, thats all that matters to me. But the national media doesn't like him cause he treats us poorly, whahaa whaaah wahaa. f*** YOU MEDIA.

Very few like him and most never will. What you're hearing from the players is what you expect to hear from the leaders on the team. They will stick up for their teammates regardless of their true feelings. Just like when people stick up for AJ on the Sox. No one likes him but as good teammates they'll say the right things.

QUOTE (Milkman delivers @ Jan 24, 2011 -> 10:39 AM)
I'm talking about what Urlacher said about the fans and other players watching at home, added to things he's done in the past. Defending the QB is great.

He didn't say the fans....they asked him about other players tweeting about it and he said something along the lines of "players at home who's seasons are over? those jelous guys?"

I haven't been a big fan of Urlacher since his hold-out for more money after a s***ty/injured season a couple years ago, but I liked what he did yesterday.

QUOTE (HeGone33 @ Jan 24, 2011 -> 10:32 AM)

Probably right, I didn't mean to take anything away from the Packers. I just feel that if we had a 100% healthy Jay Cutler instead of burning 2 series with Todd Collins and running out there with a guy who had 0 practice reps with the first team we might have, oh I don't know, stood a better chance. Somehow, with how poorly the Bears played on offense, they had a chance to tie the game on that final drive. If you don't think having a legit top-10 QB in there instead of the clown collection of Todd Collins and Caleb Hanie makes a difference, then I think that's crazy.

Sure, Cutler could have gotten them down and thrown a RZ INT, I just wish I could have seen it!

QUOTE (ptatc @ Jan 24, 2011 -> 08:46 AM)
Very few like him and most never will. What you're hearing from the players is what you expect to hear from the leaders on the team. They will stick up for their teammates regardless of their true feelings. Just like when people stick up for AJ on the Sox. No one likes him but as good teammates they'll say the right things.

Urlacher and Kreutz haven't exactly been known as organizational guys. They say what is on there mind.

QUOTE (Harry Chappas @ Jan 24, 2011 -> 10:28 AM)
I want to give my points. I was at the game had incredible seats right under the press box at the 50 yard line. First time ever at revamped Soldier Field, that place sucks.

You lost me right there. The new Solider field is so much better than the old stadium its not even funny. Every seat is a good one.

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ Jan 24, 2011 -> 10:51 AM)
Probably right, I didn't mean to take anything away from the Packers. I just feel that if we had a 100% healthy Jay Cutler instead of burning 2 series with Todd Collins and running out there with a guy who had 0 practice reps with the first team we might have, oh I don't know, stood a better chance. Somehow, with how poorly the Bears played on offense, they had a chance to tie the game on that final drive. If you don't think having a legit top-10 QB in there instead of the clown collection of Todd Collins and Caleb Hanie makes a difference, then I think that's crazy.

Sure, Cutler could have gotten them down and thrown a RZ INT, I just wish I could have seen it!

Well said, it just sounded like you said before Cutler healthy was automatic win. I agree, they would have stood a better chance, but to say for sure is pretty bold. In a game like this you def wish you could have had your best out there the whole time, but in a season where the Bears were often the benificiary of teams with injuries, they suffered the worst one in the end.