Bears versus Packers game thread

QUOTE (daa84 @ Jan 24, 2011 -> 12:19 PM)
in the end...cutler brought alot of this on himself. His attitude with media and public image doesn't do him any favors. Instead of giving the guy the benefit of the doubt, people look for a reason to be able to rip him, fair or unfair (and clearly i think its unfair in this situation). Nobody would ever question Derek Jeters toughness if he came out of a game in the ALCS. Cutler has created this brash, difficult to like personality in the media, and at every opportunity to be able to rip him, people will. Same thing is happening with lebron. Its a shame because the guy really has such huge potential.

People just don't like him, that's the whole reason that this has become such a huge story.

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Rowand44 @ Jan 24, 2011 -> 06:21 PM)
He was playing a terrible game before he got hurt, no doubt. That's actually kind of getting lost in this whole injury controversy.

There's still a part of me that thinks he was hurt prior to the game. He just looked two steps slow the whole game. It's kinda funny that Aaron Rodgers seemed at times to be the fastest player on the field.

QUOTE (daa84 @ Jan 24, 2011 -> 12:19 PM)
in the end...cutler brought alot of this on himself. His attitude with media and public image doesn't do him any favors. Instead of giving the guy the benefit of the doubt, people look for a reason to be able to rip him, fair or unfair (and clearly i think its unfair in this situation). Nobody would ever question Derek Jeters toughness if he came out of a game in the ALCS. Cutler has created this brash, difficult to like personality in the media, and at every opportunity to be able to rip him, people will. Same thing is happening with lebron. Its a shame because the guy really has such huge potential.

This is exactly it. I really don't feel bad for him because his chickens have come home to roost.

I defended him for much of the year, but it's really difficult to defend him when you see this kind of overwhelming backlash against the guy. I generally think NFL players defend their own, and not too many people are willing to defend this guy. Just makes you wonder what we don't know.

QUOTE (Rowand44 @ Jan 24, 2011 -> 12:21 PM)
He was playing a terrible game before he got hurt, no doubt. That's actually kind of getting lost in this whole injury controversy.

Because this whole controversy allows Bears fans a period of denial whereby they can avoid thinking about losing the game to a better team, especially a better Packers team.

We honestly might have been blessed by what happened, because Hanie coming in, whether it was him or some other effect occurring, certainly seemed to give us a better chance to win that game.

QUOTE (iamshack @ Jan 24, 2011 -> 07:23 PM)
This is exactly it. I really don't feel bad for him because his chickens have come home to roost.

I defended him for much of the year, but it's really difficult to defend him when you see this kind of overwhelming backlash against the guy. I generally think NFL players defend their own, and not too many people are willing to defend this guy. Just makes you wonder what we don't know.

Plain and simple, he's just a prick. He'll have a couple of buddies on the team that he can hang out with off the field (ie: Olsen). But besides that, he's just not friendly at all. I don't really care how likeable my QB is as long as he gets the job done and is a good leader.

QUOTE (StrangeSox @ Jan 24, 2011 -> 02:40 PM)
Watch the replay. Hester clearly slows up at one point. Not sure he'd have gotten even if he didn't, but he slowed the route.

was at the game...when i saw it live, hester certainly broke off his route.....but watching it a second time on tv...hester had no chance at ever getting to that ball...it was over thrown

QUOTE (iamshack @ Jan 24, 2011 -> 12:23 PM)

I dont think NFL players defend their own at all. For each guy on a team, theres plenty of people that come out hating on him. Tom Brady, Philip Rivers, Big Ben, even Kyle Orton have been s*** on in the media by other players.

QUOTE (iamshack @ Jan 24, 2011 -> 06:26 PM)
Because this whole controversy allows Bears fans a period of denial whereby they can avoid thinking about losing the game to a better team, especially a better Packers team.

We honestly might have been blessed by what happened, because Hanie coming in, whether it was him or some other effect occurring, certainly seemed to give us a better chance to win that game.

I'm pretty sure it was hanie knowing his limitations and taking the middle of the field which green bay would obviously give to us in the fourth quarter.

QUOTE (daa84 @ Jan 24, 2011 -> 12:42 PM)
was at the game...when i saw it live, hester certainly broke off his route.....but watching it a second time on tv...hester had no chance at ever getting to that ball...it was over thrown

He and Knox give up on routes way too early. He did on that one and tried to get it back and couldn't.

The one thing that the Bears need on defense is a prescence in the middle of the field to stop the quick slants. WR's are suppossed to pay a price for going over the middle and they never do. In the same token Chris Harris played a really good game. Harris, Wright and maybe Tillman should add some depth at the Safety position next year along with Manning and Moore. They need at least one good CB.

Rock, I have been to the revamped Soldier field a few other times but it was in the Club Seats. I was on the other side yesterday and the seats were awesome but he amentities are too cramped and the bathrooms suck. Also access to the Stadium blows no matter what mode of transportation you take. I was there to see a football game and I got that so I really shoudn't complain but I expected more. Thread for a different time I suppose.

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Jan 24, 2011 -> 12:46 PM)
I dont think NFL players defend their own at all. For each guy on a team, theres plenty of people that come out hating on him. Tom Brady, Philip Rivers, Big Ben, even Kyle Orton have been s*** on in the media by other players.

They talk smack. This is different.

You don't usually have a whole lot of players with no stake in things questioning a guy.

QUOTE (Harry Chappas @ Jan 24, 2011 -> 12:52 PM)
He and Knox give up on routes way too early. He did on that one and tried to get it back and couldn't.

The one thing that the Bears need on defense is a prescence in the middle of the field to stop the quick slants. WR's are suppossed to pay a price for going over the middle and they never do. In the same token Chris Harris played a really good game. Harris, Wright and maybe Tillman should add some depth at the Safety position next year along with Manning and Moore. They need at least one good CB.

Rock, I have been to the revamped Soldier field a few other times but it was in the Club Seats. I was on the other side yesterday and the seats were awesome but he amentities are too cramped and the bathrooms suck. Also access to the Stadium blows no matter what mode of transportation you take. I was there to see a football game and I got that so I really shoudn't complain but I expected more. Thread for a different time I suppose.

This is the strength of the Packers offense though, and for whatever reason, the Bears are one of the few teams that seems capable of stopping it at all. Part of that is probably familiarity, but you've got to give them credit. On the other hand, you're not going to stop them all the time.

QUOTE (iamshack @ Jan 24, 2011 -> 12:26 PM)

It hurts more that they weren't the "better team". We held their highly nutsac-sucked offense to 14 f***ing points and the lord and savior arodge to a 50 QB rating....all we needed was a pedestrian showing by the offense and its a Superbowl trip. But since we have a horrific and stubborn coaching staff, we got nothing from the O.

In my book, this loss is 100% on the coaching staff. They all should have been immediately fired after that 3rd down play with the season on the line coming out of a timeout. You can't win with a coaching staff like that.

QUOTE (Athomeboy_2000 @ Jan 24, 2011 -> 02:12 PM)
Lovie: "If you're going to attack someone, you should be attacking me" for Cutler being pulled from game.

I'm glad Lovie is owning up to it. They handled the entire thing VERY poorly.

QUOTE (fathom @ Jan 24, 2011 -> 12:21 PM)
As ptatc said brilliantly earlier, if Cutler does have a tear, then it's amazing how poorly the medical staff handled the injury in the 2nd half. You saw a guy like Pouncey get hurt yesterday, and they had him on crutches almost immediately.

This is part of the controversy. Tim Bream is good AT and Gordon Nuber is a good Doc. If they really thought it was a significant tear, they would have had him in a brace to attempt to play . Once that didn't work, he would have been in a brace with his leg straight with ice and probably crutches. None of this occured, which leads me to think the injury wasn't severe. I guess it was just bad enough to make him limp and limit his mobility.

Remember a tear of the ligament can be anything from a mild tear (sprain) to a total rupture.

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ Jan 24, 2011 -> 12:15 PM)
Dilfer just said that "there's some players who look for a way out of a game, from his history Jay Cutler looks for a way out".

Ok, yeah, he was pushed out of town by an insane head coach hell bent on destruction. Jay Cutler also has missed ONE F*CKING GAME in his career.

lol what history? That he wanted to get traded from Denver because that idiot Josh McDaniels didn't want Jay Cutler as his QB?

Trent Dilfer must never watch Cutler play. The guy gets the s*** whacked out of him every game because of our o-line and never goes down easy on a run.

It's so hard to deal with lovie. On one hand, some CRAZY stupid things done yesterday. on the other...he took a team with so many holes almost to the superbowl. And we held the most potent offense in the playoffs to 14 pts. How do you manage the two? He's both a really good coach and a bonehead.

QUOTE (bmags @ Jan 24, 2011 -> 01:20 PM)
It's so hard to deal with lovie. On one hand, some CRAZY stupid things done yesterday. on the other...he took a team with so many holes almost to the superbowl. And we held the most potent offense in the playoffs to 14 pts. How do you manage the two? He's both a really good coach and a bonehead.

totally agree with this post

QUOTE (bmags @ Jan 24, 2011 -> 01:20 PM)

Well said.

I think they still should extend him though, and I'm convinced that's going to happen.