Bears versus Packers game thread

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ Jan 24, 2011 -> 08:38 PM)
* A first degree sprain is damage to only a few ligament fibres.

* A second degree sprain is damage to a more extensive number of ligament fibres, but the ligament remains intact.

* A third degree sprain is a complete rupture of the ligament. Because of the force involved in this injury other structures in the knee, such as the Meniscus (Cartilage) or the Anterior Cruciate Ligament can also be damaged.

It's still torn, fool.

Thanks, I probably have a better insight of medical stuff on this board (besides ptatc). To say the MCL is completely torn is wrong.

I'd love to know what B&B have to say about this now.

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (fathom @ Jan 24, 2011 -> 01:36 PM)
All last night, we heard from Cutler supporters that how was he supposed to keep playing if his ligament was torn in half. If it's true it's just a sprain, then he's opened himself up to be criticized again. For the majority of this morning, the Chicago media was VERY supportive of him since they thought the MCL was torn. Does anyone know if Lovie said it's a strain based off the MRI? I know sometimes they'll say it's a sprain prior to conclusive MRI results (ie: Peavy's injury).

A sprain is a tear, is it not?

QUOTE (fathom @ Jan 24, 2011 -> 01:41 PM)
Thanks, I probably have a better insight of medical stuff on this board (besides ptatc). To say the MCL is completely torn is wrong.

They are smart and know a "sprain" can mean partially torn and haven't backtracked like you and said he "pussied" out of the game.

QUOTE (fathom @ Jan 24, 2011 -> 02:41 PM)

fathom, you disgust me.

QUOTE (fathom @ Jan 24, 2011 -> 01:42 PM)
Um, 2 years of med school, father a doctor, torn ACL in high school....sadly, I know too much about this.

Well, you certainly don't convey the fact because you said if it was a "sprain" vs a tear that he "pussied" out of the game.

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ Jan 24, 2011 -> 01:40 PM)
Oh, he's a back-tracker. Don't act like you knew a strain was a tear.

The titanic was sinking and the captain decided to sit and watch...and he didn't even try to help his backups.

Say what you will about Favre, you sissified sob's, but he'd have fought to go down with the ship himself, oh, and he would have stayed out there with 50 completely torn ligaments. ;)

QUOTE (fathom @ Jan 24, 2011 -> 01:34 PM)
I'm sure Lovie only told him he was getting pulled based off of the response Cutler was giving him. I have no doubt the Bears trainer made the final call, but it baffles me that Cutler couldn't play through this. As I said yesterday, Cutler's best chance of saving his name in Chicago was if something actually was torn.

Or maybe Lovie thought that the injury was keeping Cutler from playing up to his full abilities and thought a healthy QB might do a better job? (I don't consider Collins a QB though)

"We just didn't think he could do the job, it's not like he was trying to get out of it" Lovie said on Cutler.

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ Jan 24, 2011 -> 08:43 PM)
Well, you certainly don't convey the fact because you said if it was a "sprain" vs a tear that he "pussied" out of the game.

I meant a total rupture requiring surgery (which if you go back to last night, we talked about surgery quite a bit).

They are defending Cutler and bashing the Bears PR for allowing Lovie to use the word Sprain instead of partial tear.

QUOTE (Y2HH @ Jan 24, 2011 -> 02:43 PM)
The titanic was sinking and the captain decided to sit and watch...and he didn't even try to help his backups.

Say what you will about Favre, you sissified sob's, but he'd have fought to go down with the ship himself, oh, and he would have stayed out there with 50 completely torn ligaments. ;)

And he'd have hurt his team much more than he would have helped it only to feed his oversized, stupid-ass ego. He's done it many times.

QUOTE (Y2HH @ Jan 24, 2011 -> 02:43 PM)

Is that a joke?

They're in complete meltdown mode, thanks in large part to people saying stupid s*** like "Cutler is a p****!" and not understanding what "sprain" means.

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Jan 24, 2011 -> 02:45 PM)
QUOTE (whitesoxfan101 @ Jan 24, 2011 -> 01:41 PM)

Terrelle Pryor played 4 games including a BCS game with a ligament tear in his knee, and ran for 220 yards with it as well.

/OSU plug

Then he drove off from the stadium in his free SUV on 20 inch rims.

QUOTE (SoxFan1 @ Jan 24, 2011 -> 01:47 PM)
Terrelle Pryor played 4 games including a BCS game with a ligament tear in his knee, and ran for 220 yards with it as well.

/OSU plug

Then he drove off from the stadium in his free SUV on 20 inch rims.

He drives a Dodge Charger, its registered with the Big Ten. Come on, do a google search!!! ;-)

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Jan 24, 2011 -> 01:45 PM)

/OSU plug

There is a LONG list of guys who have played a variety of sports with ligament tears in their knee. I'm not going to get into the s*** throwing fest that some are engaged in throughout this thread, but that's just the truth.

QUOTE (fathom @ Jan 24, 2011 -> 01:47 PM)
So the media questioned Lovie why Collins was 2nd string over Hanie? That's the biggest coaching issue that came from yesterday, and one that was pretty inexcusable after the Panthers game.

Yes, typical Lovie non-answer about how he likes their QB evaluation. He slipped a little bit at the end and admitted that they wanted a veteran at #2.

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ Jan 24, 2011 -> 01:38 PM)
* A first degree sprain is damage to only a few ligament fibres.

* A second degree sprain is damage to a more extensive number of ligament fibres, but the ligament remains intact.

* A third degree sprain is a complete rupture of the ligament. Because of the force involved in this injury other structures in the knee, such as the Meniscus (Cartilage) or the Anterior Cruciate Ligament can also be damaged.

It's still torn, fool.

And people tear things all the time. You tear connective tissue and ligament fibers from stretching alone. Just because there was tearing, doesn't mean it was some terribly debilitating injury.

Ultimately, none of us will know, because we are not Jay. But jeesh, as Ptatc mentioned, they certainly didn't seem to concerned about treating him on the sidelines.

QUOTE (whitesoxfan101 @ Jan 24, 2011 -> 01:48 PM)
There is a LONG list of guys who have played a variety of sports with ligament tears in their knee. I'm not going to get into the s*** throwing fest that some are engaged in throughout this thread, but that's just the truth.

I dont know what an MCL sprain feels like, but I have to think that the Bears staff could have shot him up with numbing agents enough for him to play.