Bears versus Packers game thread

QUOTE (iamshack @ Jan 24, 2011 -> 02:45 PM)
Mental toughness. The inability to deal with adversity in the correct manner. Moping. Sulking. I don't know how many times I have to say it.

But he's never shown it like that before. He's never quit on the team even when he's been getting his head knocked off.

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Y2HH @ Jan 24, 2011 -> 02:47 PM)
My honest opinion is that Lovie threw Jay under the bus with his typical and always retarded vagueness when it comes to telling people nothing while speaking for 20 minutes at a time. Lovie should have properly reported Jay as OUT, not questionable, which is what he did. I believe Lovie in particular, who has a HISTORY of this sort of thing, reported he was questionable so the Packers would have to "think" that Cutler could come back into the game at any time...because in Lovies mind, this gives his team an edge.

A guys arm can get ripped off, and Lovie will say in the press conference that as far as he knows, that guy will be playing this weekend, and their medical staff will have to evaluate reattaching the missing limb.

That's my honest opinion of what happened. Lovie purposefully MISrepresented the injury yesterday during the game for some sort of psychological edge, and the report that came across as "questionable", which means 50% chance of returning, planted the seeds of doubt in the fans minds...and this is the backlash of him doing so.

Agree 100%.

QUOTE (bmags @ Jan 24, 2011 -> 02:40 PM)
I think people are at the point where nothing will change their minds. I hated cutler yesterday and did think that he quit. But then I got sober.

Anyway, I think that jay would've played with that tear two weeks later, or 1 week later, but injuries are a bit more shocking and distracting right when they happen.

Same here. Last night I was furious at Cutler and a lot of it was alcohol and/or being upset about the loss. Today I am taking a step back and am trying to get as much info as I can and hoping that whats the Bears are saying is true. Its a weird feeling hoping your franchise qb is hurt so you dont lose your respect/faith in them as a fan.

Unfortunately IMO, and I know its only my opinion, I think he could have played and I think if he told the coaches he was good to go they would have kept him in. Im not quick to forget the great year he had and how much he helped the Bears get to the NFC Championship and I will be rooting for him next year without question. That doesnt make me a "meatball" for being disappointed.

QUOTE (DrunkBomber @ Jan 24, 2011 -> 02:53 PM)
Same here. Last night I was furious at Cutler and a lot of it was alcohol and/or being upset about the loss. Today I am taking a step back and am trying to get as much info as I can and hoping that whats the Bears are saying is true. Its a weird feeling hoping your franchise qb is hurt so you dont lose your respect/faith in them as a fan.

Unfortunately IMO, and I know its only my opinion, I think he could have played and I think if he told the coaches he was good to go they would have kept him in. Im not quick to forget the great year he had and how much he helped the Bears get to the NFC Championship and I will be rooting for him next year without question. That doesnt make me a "meatball" for being disappointed.

Thunderlips disagrees.

QUOTE (StrangeSox @ Jan 24, 2011 -> 03:48 PM)
But he's never shown it like that before. He's never quit on the team even when he's been getting his head knocked off.

Yeah, I can't really refute that point. Maybe he decided this would be easier than just chucking the ball wildly around the field like he has done in the past when he gets frustrated.

I'll admit, I would have liked to see him come back and give it another go after Collins proved ineffective and before they put Hanie in. I would feel better with this situation if I had seen something that clearly showed he was battling an injury. Instead, I saw the guy come out in that first series of the second half with no noticeable limp. Then I watched him stand around sulking and moping for most of the second half. I did not see him using crutches, or with a brace on, or even sitting down for most of the time. I did not see him talking with other players or the coaching staff. I did not see him talking to the other quarterbacks.

Now their have been reports that he did talk to Hanie and that the type of MCL sprain he had allows one to stand on it without any real detriment or pain in the knee.

If all of what I saw, and how I feel about that, makes me a meathead or a meatball or suffering from meatball-itis, then so be it. But then I happen to think those calling me a meathead are suffering from "make excuses for our fallen hero and refuse to acknowledge the truth-itis."

Edited by iamshack

QUOTE (Y2HH @ Jan 24, 2011 -> 02:16 PM)
No, because he didn't.

Never saw him on the sidelines talking to either backup, never saw him reviewing pictures with them, or micing himself up and wearing a headset to assist like every other #1 QB that goes down does.

I also don't care and at this point I'm just stirring the pot. :)

Holy s*** were you EVEN WATCHING THE GAME??? Go away!

He WAS miked up! He WAS sitting there going over binders of plays with Hanie.

Go away, all you meatheads.

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ Jan 24, 2011 -> 02:56 PM)
Holy s*** were you EVEN WATCHING THE GAME??? Go away!

He WAS miked up! He WAS sitting there going over binders of plays with Hanie.

Go away, all you meatheads.

I thought I made it pretty clear how much I was kidding by now. :P

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ Jan 24, 2011 -> 03:59 PM)
Ah, hadn't gotten to this.

If you are going to make definitive statements, make sure you are tuned into the entirety of the game, I guess.

Yeah, one would never want to insist that LeBron would never go to Miami or anything.

QUOTE (Controlled Chaos @ Jan 24, 2011 -> 02:56 PM)
If Cutler didn't come out because he was really injured, why did he come out? Is it because you think he quit? He didn't feel like playing anymore? He's a pu$$y? What? If you're on the opposite side of the those saying "stop questioning his toughness", then explain why.

He had a (likely second degree) MCL sprain, was ineffective to begin with and worse with the injury, and the coaching staff decided to pull him rather than risk further injury. :huh

Let's say they kept Cutler in. He manages to get a couple of TD's and they take the lead, but he blows out his knee the rest of the way and is done for the SB and requires surgery in the off season. What good does that do anyone? Is that better or worse for the long-term prospects of the franchise?

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Jan 24, 2011 -> 02:29 PM)
Were you at the game watching him on the sidelines the entire time? I heard reporters on the sideline report this morning that they saw him working with Hanie on several occasions.

I was sitting behind the Bears bench yesterday and while it was kid of hard to tell with all of the coats and hoods, who was who, he was working with Hanie a good amount of time. Hanie was also talkign to other people.

The meatballs were all over Jay and nobody had any idea what was wrong with him, only that he was not playing. He did not seem injured though as he was only walking around.

QUOTE (Y2HH @ Jan 24, 2011 -> 02:22 PM)
And since you didn't see it on TV, and one of his teammates made up an excuse for him, it must be true!

I can do that, too.

Oh nevermind, you backtracked.

For the love of God, they showed Jay with a headset like 10 times and sitting next to Hanie.

QUOTE (StrangeSox @ Jan 24, 2011 -> 04:01 PM)
He had a (likely second degree) MCL sprain, was ineffective to begin with and worse with the injury, and the coaching staff decided to pull him rather than risk further injury. :huh

Let's say they kept Cutler in. He manages to get a couple of TD's and they take the lead, but he blows out his knee the rest of the way and is done for the SB and requires surgery in the off season. What good does that do anyone? Is that better or worse for the long-term prospects of the franchise?

No. But what was the risk of further injury? I would need to know that first.

QUOTE (iamshack @ Jan 24, 2011 -> 04:03 PM)
No. But what was the risk of further injury? I would need to know that first.

Having popped both knees before, if you try to put extra stress on those ligaments, especially right after damaging them the first time, they're not going to be happy about it. You could easily take a grade 2 and turn it into a grade 3.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jan 24, 2011 -> 03:04 PM)
Having popped both knees before, if you try to put extra stress on those ligaments, especially right after damaging them the first time, they're not going to be happy about it. You could easily take a grade 2 and turn it into a grade 3.

I'm certain that you could. But the fact that we have plenty of anecdotal evidence of others playing with this injury seems to indicate that you can control the degree of risk by taking certain precautions, or that in some cases, there may be very little or no risk at all.

i saw when cutler was sitting next to hanie.. but if you went by the short clip, it looked like cutler was staring into the distance as hanie was cramming for his math final. the guys i was with were joking that Cutler looked like he just tossed the playbook on hanies lap and said "here ya go kid, dont get killed out there". obviously we were joking though dont take it too literally.

QUOTE (Controlled Chaos @ Jan 24, 2011 -> 03:07 PM)
Please tell me why you think he was out of the game.

Well, I've been saying it for the last two hours, but I'll say it again.

I think he was injured. I think he was also moping and sulking.

I think his poor attitude colored his decision on how injured he was and whether or not he could continue.

Had the game been going more favorably, I think he would have done more to try and stay in the game.

QUOTE (StrangeSox @ Jan 24, 2011 -> 03:01 PM)

You are really going to use a what if scenario? ok, what if he played the 2nd half, led them to a win and then won the SB and was the MVP? What if then?