Bears versus Packers game thread

QUOTE (iamshack @ Jan 24, 2011 -> 03:03 PM)
No. But what was the risk of further injury? I would need to know that first.

It's been a while since my one-semester AT class, I'll hope ptact can chime in here. But from an engineering standpoint, if you weaken one support, the others are going to have to take up the load. And it may be loading they're not exactly designed to support all that well, especially in combination with their normal loading. The knee's no different, and asking a damaged ligament to keep supporting his knee is just asking for trouble imo.

BTW, B&B are reading a list of well-known players who left the game this year with MCL sprains and their multiple-week injuries they sat out with. Didn't go into sprain degrees, but still, it's an injury that can take you out of the game and cause you to miss weeks of play.

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (DrunkBomber @ Jan 24, 2011 -> 03:13 PM)
You are really going to use a what if scenario? ok, what if he played the 2nd half, led them to a win and then won the SB and was the MVP? What if then?

You need to what-if the situation to determine risk probabilities. That's the coaches' and medical staff's job. You have to assess the probability that he really is injured (since there's no locker room MRI) and the probability of worsening the injury.

Ben Roethlisberger - Twice accused rapist

Michael Vick - Killed dogs for sport

Brett Favre - sending pics of his penis to team employees

Jay Cutler - shows frustration, has missed one game in his career, and was knocked out of the NFC Championship Game with a legit injury

What a disgrace. I'm done with this thread and anyone who has a problem with Jay coming out of that game.

If you have a problem with it, you are a meathead who cannot be convinced of the truth.

Edited by Steve9347

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ Jan 24, 2011 -> 04:16 PM)
Ben Roethlisberger - Twice accused rapist

Michael Vick - Killed dogs for sport

Brett Favre - sending pics of his penis to team employees

Jay Cutler - shows frustration, has missed one game in his career, and was knocked out of the NFC Championship Game with a legit injury

Guess which player has been flamed the most, and it's not even close.

What a disgrace. I'm done with this thread and anyone who has a problem with Jay coming out of that game.

If you have a problem with it, you are a meathead who cannot be convinced of the truth.

I don't really judge what players do outside of the game.

QUOTE (iamshack @ Jan 24, 2011 -> 03:09 PM)
Well, I've been saying it for the last two hours, but I'll say it again.

I think he was injured. I think he was also moping and sulking.

I think his poor attitude colored his decision on how injured he was and whether or not he could continue.

Had the game been going more favorably, I think he would have done more to try and stay in the game.

So you are saying he quit?

QUOTE (Controlled Chaos @ Jan 24, 2011 -> 03:15 PM)
Please tell me why you think he was out of the game.

Well the obvious foundation is that he was injured. Im not doubting he was injured. At this point Im trying to figure out if there were any other factors. There is obviously little probability that if anything else was weighed into the decision that it will become known. So far I have heard things like his sideline demeanor and moping, his performance, him quitting and that the coaches held him out despite him wanting to play.

I dont really know what all the reasons were besides him being injured, I just think there might be more because of what I am hearing about the injury.

QUOTE (StrangeSox @ Jan 24, 2011 -> 03:29 PM)
LT missed six weeks with a 2nd degree MCL sprain (which is what ptatc thinks it is from seeing the treatment and movement on TV).

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=3222896

Oh, and Sanders criticized LT for being a p****, too.

Well, playing running back with that injury and playing quarterback with that injury are slightly different, don't you think?

QUOTE (iamshack @ Jan 24, 2011 -> 03:31 PM)
Well, playing running back with that injury and playing quarterback with that injury are slightly different, don't you think?

The point is it's a serious injury that can take weeks to heal, not something you can necessarily brush off and play through. Especially when you need stability in that knee to make good throws and scramble as much as Cutler has to.

QUOTE (StrangeSox @ Jan 24, 2011 -> 03:31 PM)
Sean Jensen confirmed that Cutler has a Grade II MCL tear, which typically takes 3-4 weeks to heal. What a p****.

Note the use of the word tear, rather than sprain. This is a reaction to the earlier diagnosis of a sprain.

Secondly, I'm not sure I've seen anyone argue that Jay was not injured.

The fact that it takes 3-4 weeks to heal says nothing about whether he could have played on the injury or not.

QUOTE (StrangeSox @ Jan 24, 2011 -> 03:33 PM)
The point is it's a serious injury that can take weeks to heal, not something you can necessarily brush off and play through. Especially when you need stability in that knee to make good throws and scramble as much as Cutler has to.

Seriously, can we just let this go? There is evidence of players playing through it and evidence of players not playing through it.

I can clearly recall LT moping on the sideline of the AFC Championship game against the Cotls while Phillip Rivers was running around with a brace on his knee trash talking to the Indy fans.

Some guys just seem to want to win more than others. Not saying either is right or wrong for them personally, but as a fan, of course I want someone like Rivers.