Bears versus Packers game thread

QUOTE (lostfan @ Jan 24, 2011 -> 05:19 PM)
I really think the Bears handled this poorly. Had they just said during the game "we believe he's torn a ligament based on our evaluations and he can't come back in the game" everybody would've known what was going on. But they told the commentators that his return was "questionable" which sounds like he could've come back in if he wanted to. In reality he tried and could barely move.

Or as Lawrence Holmes just suggested, if you want to play the stupid mind games, leak the info to the sideline reporters so that the network can report on it but the Packers are kept in the dark.

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Rowand44 @ Jan 24, 2011 -> 05:21 PM)
When it comes down to it, this is exactly what happened. People are just frustrated because as bad as the Bears offense played, the game was really there for the taking against a better team and they still managed to screw some things up to lose it.

I think this sums up the non-Cutler feelings of just about every Bears fan perfectly.

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Jan 25, 2011 -> 12:21 AM)
If people want to complain, talk about the things Jay needs to improve upon, but also talk about how much of an impact his off the field persona has had on him. Fans and Players think he's an ass because he treats the media poorly. As a result, the media unjustifiably rips on him and this spiral continues.

The sad thing is he has improved with the media and this season he's gotten much much better. He had a good year, especially when you factor what he had to work with. Was it a probowl year, not quite, but still a solid season and I'm happy that he's made improvements.

He's my QB and I look forward to having him play in the same system in year 2 (hopefully behind an improved oline with a big physical playmaking wideout).

This is very true....we all forget just how awful he was in his first season with the red zone picks. He made a lot of improvements, and I for one hope that Martz is back next year.

People are just predisposed to not liking Cutler. So many people were just waiting for something like this to happen so they can unload. Reading comments, my Facebook news feed, etc. really convinced me of that. I did start to notice the tide moving in the other direction when it started to come out that he was really hurt, though.

QUOTE (lostfan @ Jan 24, 2011 -> 05:19 PM)
I really think the Bears handled this poorly. Had they just said during the game "we believe he's torn a ligament based on our evaluations and he can't come back in the game" everybody would've known what was going on. But they told the commentators that his return was "questionable" which sounds like he could've come back in if he wanted to. In reality he tried and could barely move.

Eh I guess. I mean, in the heat of the battle, you never want to say he's out completely, especially in that big of a game. They probably didn't have the necessary information yet and didn't want to be bothered. So they just said questionable.

So how about everyone commend Lovie, his coaching staff, and the players for the overachieving season they did have and for providing you with a fun season? Critique the game, the players, the ability to overcome a flawed roster into the Final Four of the NFL. Suggest things Jay could improve on such as leadership. Talk about Martz coming back for another year only benefitting Jay. Talk about schemes. But let's not talk about a player who was injured and who made a decision not to further injure himself, especially after the beating he took during the season.

If the Cowboys had the same season, yeah, I would be upset about us not reaching the pinnacle, but at the same time, I wouldn't start calling out a guy like DeMarcus Ware if he sat out after being injured considering I know the toughness he has displayed throughout the year.

QUOTE (Rowand44 @ Jan 24, 2011 -> 06:21 PM)
When it comes down to it, this is exactly what happened. People are just frustrated because as bad as the Bears offense played, the game was really there for the taking against a better team and they still managed to screw some things up to lose it.

Agreed. Hanie did a respectable job too but it just wasn't enough.

QUOTE (lostfan @ Jan 24, 2011 -> 05:28 PM)
People are just predisposed to not liking Cutler. So many people were just waiting for something like this to happen so they can unload. Reading comments, my Facebook news feed, etc. really convinced me of that. I did start to notice the tide moving in the other direction when it started to come out that he was really hurt, though.

I agree. I've seen several people on there posting their images of throwing away their Cutler jersey or burning it. Boys and girls. I shook my head and just said, "Bears fans don't deserve a franchise QB".

QUOTE (IlliniKrush @ Jan 24, 2011 -> 04:02 PM)
Wow...again.

Again, you're having a very hard time separating your "he's not a rah-rah guy" from the actual facts. I mean, you do watch games and watch him get the s*** beat out of him every week, right? Huge difference between "mope" and being tough.

It's really stupid to pin it on him because he is "moping." Hell, ever think he's super disappointed that this is the game of his life, and he's too injured to play now?

BTW, walking around is a far cry from playing in the game. Cutler's an effective QB partly due to the fact that he makes plays with his feet to keep the play alive.

I wish the Bears would have ruled him "out" instead of questionable and put him on a stretcher, because everyone would have a different opinion. However, they did the "questionable" crap because they wanted the Packers to think there was a chance he was coming back into the game. That was also some of the reason for the walking, standing, anything-but-looking-dead look. This was according to Zach Zaidman today, who is on the sideline.

Honestly, I have defended him all year. And yes, I have watched all the games. In fact, I live out of town so I paid $300 to do so. I also was wearing a $300 Cutler jersey yesterday, so it isn't like I am someone who just dislikes him.

I agree he has taken a beating this year, and he has done so admirably. As for his mopey face, I have watched enough Colts games this year to notice Peyton Manning usually wears a similar look on his face when things aren't going well.

Maybe I am being too hard on the guy and asking him to succeed any more than he has in this situation is just too much to ask from him. Maybe no one could have answered the bell this season as well as he did. I guess we will never know.

What I do know is that I wanted so badly for Jay to answer his critics yesterday. Trust me, when you walk around with that guy's jersey on in a town other than Chicago, you catch s*** for it. So it's not like I am not a supporter of him. Instead, what happened, is Jay played poorly in the biggest game of his life and then couldn't return to the game even though he could walk around the sidelines. Ultimately, that rubbed me the wrong way.

I just wish he would give a crap about what people thought of him. I wish he would represent the organization in a better manner. I wish he would recognize he needs to be a leader, and that means doing things other than just on the field. But I guess he is who he is, and we aren't going to change that. We just have to accept it.

QUOTE (lostfan @ Jan 24, 2011 -> 03:28 PM)

I know you liked my facebook. It was completely dedicated to Cutler today, haha.

QUOTE (nitetrain8601 @ Jan 24, 2011 -> 06:30 PM)
I agree. I've seen several people on there posting their images of throwing away their Cutler jersey or burning it. Boys and girls. I shook my head and just said, "Bears fans don't deserve a franchise QB".

There started to be a backlash against that later in the day. I haven't read all this thread to say, but once people started seeing details about a possible MCL tear and what it actually meant people started to straighten up, and a lot of others just doubled down saying the Bears were faking it and covering up for him etc.

QUOTE (iamshack @ Jan 24, 2011 -> 03:33 PM)
Honestly, I have defended him all year. And yes, I have watched all the games. In fact, I live out of town so I paid $300 to do so. I also was wearing a $300 Cutler jersey yesterday, so it isn't like I am someone who just dislikes him.

I agree he has taken a beating this year, and he has done so admirably. As for his mopey face, I have watched enough Colts games this year to notice Peyton Manning usually wears a similar look on his face when things aren't going well.

Maybe I am being too hard on the guy and asking him to succeed any more than he has in this situation is just too much to ask from him. Maybe no one could have answered the bell this season as well as he did. I guess we will never know.

What I do know is that I wanted so badly for Jay to answer his critics yesterday. Trust me, when you walk around with that guy's jersey on in a town other than Chicago, you catch s*** for it. So it's not like I am not a supporter of him. Instead, what happened, is Jay played poorly in the biggest game of his life and then couldn't return to the game even though he could walk around the sidelines. Ultimately, that rubbed me the wrong way.

I just wish he would give a crap about what people thought of him. I wish he would represent the organization in a better manner. I wish he would recognize he needs to be a leader, and that means doing things other than just on the field. But I guess he is who he is, and we aren't going to change that. We just have to accept it.

But how quickly we forget how well he played in the 2nd biggest game of his NFL career (albeit, against the Seahawks). I'm not shocked he struggled against the #2 defense in the NFL. Especially when he's getting knocked on his ass throughout the 1st half. That said, Cutler missed an early pass to Hester high (probably too to being too jacked up) that would have been huge. He missed on maybe one other play. Outside of that the offense struggled to find a rhythm as it was backed up inside there 10 for a good point of the 1st half. Additionally, there were a couple penalties in the 1st half that killed the Bears too. Plays that took them from the 18 to the 42 or so (a holding IIRC).

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Jan 24, 2011 -> 06:34 PM)
I know you liked my facebook. It was completely dedicated to Cutler today, haha.

Yeah mine too. lol. I wasn't in the best mood this morning either (I wore a black suit, black shirt, and black tie to work, mourning) and wasn't trying to hear all the trash talk so I ended up having to unfriend a couple of meatballs but I spent a good part of today pushing against bulls***.

QUOTE (lostfan @ Jan 24, 2011 -> 03:38 PM)
Yeah mine too. lol. I wasn't in the best mood this morning either (I wore a black suit, black shirt, and black tie to work, mourning) and wasn't trying to hear all the trash talk so I ended up having to unfriend a couple of meatballs but I spent a good part of today pushing against bulls***.

Usually when it comes to the Bears we see eye to eye as do our facebooks where we spew our propoganda, haha.

QUOTE (lostfan @ Jan 24, 2011 -> 05:28 PM)

I don't think many people really questioned whether or not he was hurt, and since I have never sprained my MCL, I couldn't tell you the pain level. But you have to admit, there are many QBs over the years in that same situation that wouldn't have come out of the game, and if Lovie insisted they still would have put up a big fight considering the magnitude of the game etc. It may be the biggest game Jay Cutler ever plays in. If he can't go he can't go. He didn't exactly looked handicapped his last series. But you are right, if Peyton Manning sat out under the same circumstance, no one would question him, but in a way Cutler has only himself to blame for being a guy who would be questioned. Being a douchebag sometimes costs you.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Jan 24, 2011 -> 06:40 PM)
I don't think many people really questioned whether or not he was hurt, and since I have never sprained my MCL, I couldn't tell you the pain level. But you have to admit, there are many QBs over the years in that same situation that wouldn't have come out of the game, and if Lovie insisted they still would have put up a big fight considering the magnitude of the game etc. It may be the biggest game Jay Cutler ever plays in. If he can't go he can't go. He didn't exactly looked handicapped his last series. But you are right, if Peyton Manning sat out under the same circumstance, no one would question him, but in a way Cutler has only himself to blame for being a guy who would be questioned. Being a douchebag sometimes costs you.

pretty much my whole Facebook friends list that was watching the game between about 4:30 and 7 pm EST did this.

QUOTE (iamshack @ Jan 24, 2011 -> 05:33 PM)

How did he not represent the organization well? He had every opportunity to go at his critics in the postgame interview and he simply responded no comment when I'm sure he wanted to go at everyone. Your leaders on the team don't even question the guy's toughness. I do agree that he needs to be at least a fake rah rah guy to get the guys fired up.

QUOTE (nitetrain8601 @ Jan 24, 2011 -> 06:42 PM)
How did he not represent the organization well? He had every opportunity to go at his critics in the postgame interview and he simply responded no comment when I'm sure he wanted to go at everyone. Your leaders on the team don't even question the guy's toughness. I do agree that he needs to be at least a fake rah rah guy to get the guys fired up.

He and Urlacher don't even really get along on a personal level and Urlacher was pretty pissed off, offended even, that it was even a topic. Kreutz is pretty much the leader of the offense and he said people were being "f***ing stupid."

QUOTE (lostfan @ Jan 24, 2011 -> 05:41 PM)
pretty much my whole Facebook friends list that was watching the game between about 4:30 and 7 pm EST did this.

I believe they were questioning whether he was hurt enough to sit rather than just hurt. It was pretty obvious he had something going on. The guys I was with thought it was a concussion. Earlier he was hit on an incomplete pass and the cameras showed him appearing like he was trying to shake off the cobwebs.

QUOTE (nitetrain8601 @ Jan 24, 2011 -> 06:42 PM)

I'm talking about over the course of the last two years. People don't like him. There is a reason for it. And it's not just because he gets some bad rap for not treating the media well.

So become a leader. Treat people with respect. Grow up. Mature. You've been handed the keys to one of the best organizations in all of sports. Now take advantage of it.

QUOTE (lostfan @ Jan 24, 2011 -> 05:43 PM)
He and Urlacher don't even really get along on a personal level and Urlacher was pretty pissed off, offended even, that it was even a topic. Kreutz is pretty much the leader of the offense and he said people were being "f***ing stupid."

No one associated with the Bears is even going to give the slightest hint of it being even remotely questionable Cutler could play.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Jan 24, 2011 -> 11:47 PM)
No one associated with the Bears is even going to give the slightest hint of it being even remotely questionable Cutler could play.

Yep, at first, Fox thought it might have been an elbow injury due to the blood on his shirt. I definitely thought it might have been a concussion, as he started to look as lethargic as he did during the Giants debacle.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Jan 24, 2011 -> 06:49 PM)
I just wonder if Cutler felt exactly the same, but was having a little more success, would he have come out?

I've been asking the same question all day. And it bothers me that I am not sure of the answer.