Bears versus Packers game thread

QUOTE (lostfan @ Jan 24, 2011 -> 05:41 PM)
pretty much my whole Facebook friends list that was watching the game between about 4:30 and 7 pm EST did this.

Honestly, you can probably excuse some of that. It was an emotional game. We all wanted that f***ing win, man. I know I wanted it. I was literally nervous all day long and just couldn't believe we lost Cutler. We were told it was "questionable" whether he'd come back into the game, and really, watching good old #10 stroll out there was simply crushing. The game was over and the 2nd half had just begun.

I excuse the over-reaction at that exact moment, but as Cutler didn't come back in, you knew it was serious.

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ Jan 24, 2011 -> 06:52 PM)
Honestly, you can probably excuse some of that. It was an emotional game. We all wanted that f***ing win, man. I know I wanted it. I was literally nervous all day long and just couldn't believe we lost Cutler. We were told it was "questionable" whether he'd come back into the game, and really, watching good old #10 stroll out there was simply crushing. The game was over and the 2nd half had just begun.

I excuse the over-reaction at that exact moment, but as Cutler didn't come back in, you knew it was serious.

For about an hour I did let my inner meathead overtake my rational thought and I was talking s***.

"I think it's crap," Angelo said. "I thought they were a union. If that's the way they unionize themselves, they've got bigger issues than the one they have with the owners. I'm very disappointed in that. That to me is dirty pool. It is what it is. People are allowed to say what they want to say, but that doesn't mean it's right and it certainly is not grounded."

QUOTE (fathom @ Jan 24, 2011 -> 06:54 PM)
How did Fox not show Collins or Hanie warming up once on their telecast? If it wasn't from being on soxtalk seeing some tweets and what was said on radio, I would have never even known it was possible Cutler was done.

Fox didn't show Cutler going over plays with Hanie or trying to calm him down either, they only showed him standing on the sidelines by himself looking despondent.

QUOTE (fathom @ Jan 24, 2011 -> 05:54 PM)
How did Fox not show Collins or Hanie warming up once on their telecast? If it wasn't from being on soxtalk seeing some tweets and what was said on radio, I would have never even known it was possible Cutler was done.

They stated coming right out of halftime that he was questionable to return. They then showed Collins warming up a few different times before and after his first series, if just briefly.

Edited by iamshack

QUOTE (lostfan @ Jan 24, 2011 -> 05:54 PM)
For about an hour I did let my inner meathead overtake my rational thought and I was talking s***.

Yeah. Same here. I'm not the least bit proud of it and started backing Jay around the 4th quarter or so, but yeah... my deepest repressed meathead fan started saying s*** like "FAVRE WOULD BE PLAYING!"

I am not proud of that, but I have high emotions as an excuse. I came around quicker than 99% so I get credit for that

QUOTE (iamshack @ Jan 24, 2011 -> 05:47 PM)
I'm talking about over the course of the last two years. People don't like him. There is a reason for it. And it's not just because he gets some bad rap for not treating the media well.

So become a leader. Treat people with respect. Grow up. Mature. You've been handed the keys to one of the best organizations in all of sports. Now take advantage of it.

What has he done not to endear himself to Bears fans? I know with the media, they hated the fact that he gave cliches as answers because he would never show emotion with them. From what I know, he hasn't been a dbag with the teammates. Again, he can be a better rah rah guy, but at the same time, when you get beatup like he did all season long, eventually it wears on you and you do show frustration. And I disagree about it being one of the best organizations in all of sports. Storied? Yes, but not best.

QUOTE (lostfan @ Jan 24, 2011 -> 05:55 PM)
Fox didn't show Cutler going over plays with Hanie or trying to calm him down either, they only showed him standing on the sidelines by himself looking despondent.

Yeah, I thought that was weird. I was reading the paper today and they said he was helping Caleb alot when he was in. No one showed it though other than when Caleb was right next to Cutler looking at the playbook. But it didn't look like they were talking.

And that Angelo quote is the best thing he's done all season. I'm glad his players are defending him on this.

QUOTE (nitetrain8601 @ Jan 24, 2011 -> 05:56 PM)
What has he done not to endear himself to Bears fans? I know with the media, they hated the fact that he gave cliches as answers because he would never show emotion with them. From what I know, he hasn't been a dbag with the teammates. Again, he can be a better rah rah guy, but at the same time, when you get beatup like he did all season long, eventually it wears on you and you do show frustration. And I disagree about it being one of the best organizations in all of sports. Storied? Yes, but not best.

Fine, storied.

I'm just going off of just about everyone's reaction to him. I don't think nearly everyone dislikes him simply because he isn't the warmest guy.

We are so limited in terms of what knowledge we have of what goes on behind the scenes, but most of the time, if you've got a reputation of being a monster douchebag, it's usually for a reason.

QUOTE (iamshack @ Jan 24, 2011 -> 06:00 PM)
Fine, storied.

I'm just going off of just about everyone's reaction to him. I don't think nearly everyone dislikes him simply because he isn't the warmest guy.

We are so limited in terms of what knowledge we have of what goes on behind the scenes, but most of the time, if you've got a reputation of being a monster douchebag, it's usually for a reason.

Then why do people still love Urlacher? Almost every Bears fan I know loves the guy, but everyone I know who has met him despise him because he comes off as an unwelcoming dbag and thinks he's better than us normal humans. Yet, people love him. To me, it never made sense to hate someone or love someone because everyone else does. Form your own opinion based on what you know. If you hate a team, hate them for your own reasons. If you like a team, do it for your own reasons. The same go for players or anything else in life. Too many Indians, and not enough Chiefs.

QUOTE (nitetrain8601 @ Jan 24, 2011 -> 07:03 PM)
Then why do people still love Urlacher? Almost every Bears fan I know loves the guy, but everyone I know who has met him despise him because he comes off as an unwelcoming dbag and thinks he's better than us normal humans. Yet, people love him. To me, it never made sense to hate someone or love someone because everyone else does. Form your own opinion based on what you know. If you hate a team, hate them for your own reasons. If you like a team, do it for your own reasons. The same go for players or anything else in life. Too many Indians, and not enough Chiefs.

Urlacher is a meathead. I love him as a player and I love his attitude on the field but everything I hear about him as a person says he's pretty much a dick. That said I do not care in any way about players' personalities.

QUOTE (iamshack @ Jan 24, 2011 -> 07:07 PM)
One only need to look as far as the first comment below the article to get a sense of how people feel, unfortunately.

That's pretty funny because Cutler never talks s*** about opposing QBs, actually never talks s*** about anything at all. That's just a manufactured image in peoples heads.

Edited by lostfan

QUOTE (nitetrain8601 @ Jan 24, 2011 -> 06:03 PM)

I don't think as many people love Urlacher as much as you think. The media loves him. Why, I am not sure. As Lost mentions, every story that comes out about him paints him as a complete jerk, and these have been coming since the whole Paris Hilton thing.

That said, I like him as a player, I think he had a solid year this year, but I think he is indeed overrated. I think most big Bears fans know it is Briggs that is the heart of our defense.

QUOTE (iamshack @ Jan 24, 2011 -> 07:10 PM)
I don't think as many people love Urlacher as much as you think. The media loves him. Why, I am not sure. As Lost mentions, every story that comes out about him paints him as a complete jerk, and these have been coming since the whole Paris Hilton thing.

That said, I like him as a player, I think he had a solid year this year, but I think he is indeed overrated. I think most big Bears fans know it is Briggs that is the heart of our defense.

You only have to show me the total collapse of the defense in 2009 to tell me that Urlacher isn't overrated.

QUOTE (lostfan @ Jan 24, 2011 -> 06:09 PM)
That's pretty funny because Cutler never talks s*** about opposing QBs, actually never talks s*** about anything at all. That's just a manufactured image in peoples heads.

It is not. He and Rivers have a huge rivalry from their days in the AFC West together. And there was an awful lot of s***-talking going on.

QUOTE (lostfan @ Jan 24, 2011 -> 06:10 PM)
You only have to show me the total collapse of the defense in 2009 to tell me that Urlacher isn't overrated.

Well, he is an integral part of our defense. That doesn't make him amazing, it just means we had garbage to replace one of the most important positions on the field.

QUOTE (iamshack @ Jan 24, 2011 -> 06:11 PM)
It is not. He and Rivers have a huge rivalry from their days in the AFC West together. And there was an awful lot of s***-talking going on.

That's true. I remember it and there's even youtube video showing them in a game arguing with each other on the field.

QUOTE (iamshack @ Jan 24, 2011 -> 07:10 PM)

Really?

That defense works because of Urlacher.

QUOTE (iamshack @ Jan 24, 2011 -> 07:22 PM)
Really?

That defense works because of Briggs.

How about it works because of both of them, this is not zero sum. Take either one of them out and you see glaring weaknesses. Take out the SAM, not so much, you see dropoff but it's nto crippling.

QUOTE (lostfan @ Jan 24, 2011 -> 07:32 PM)
How about it works because of both of them, this is not zero sum. Take either one of them out and you see glaring weaknesses. Take out the SAM, not so much, you see dropoff but it's nto crippling.

I can agree with that. But Urlacher is the guy who gets all the media hype. Which is why I believe he is overrated. Not saying he hasn't been a hell of a player over the course of his career, but I just don't think he's as good as the media likes to portray him to be.

If I had to choose one to keep, it would be Briggs.

QUOTE (iamshack @ Jan 24, 2011 -> 06:34 PM)
I can agree with that. But Urlacher is the guy who gets all the media hype. Which is why I believe he is overrated. Not saying he hasn't been a hell of a player over the course of his career, but I just don't think he's as good as the media likes to portray him to be.

If I had to choose one to keep, it would be Briggs.

Maybe given their ages (Briggs is several years younger, right?) but look at how far the defense falls off whenever Urlacher's been out. It takes a bigger hit than when Briggs has missed a game. I think that's just the nature of their different positions and the scheme the bears have run for years, though.