Bears versus Packers game thread

QUOTE (iamshack @ Jan 24, 2011 -> 05:33 PM)
Honestly, I have defended him all year. And yes, I have watched all the games. In fact, I live out of town so I paid $300 to do so. I also was wearing a $300 Cutler jersey yesterday, so it isn't like I am someone who just dislikes him.

I agree he has taken a beating this year, and he has done so admirably. As for his mopey face, I have watched enough Colts games this year to notice Peyton Manning usually wears a similar look on his face when things aren't going well.

Maybe I am being too hard on the guy and asking him to succeed any more than he has in this situation is just too much to ask from him. Maybe no one could have answered the bell this season as well as he did. I guess we will never know.

What I do know is that I wanted so badly for Jay to answer his critics yesterday. Trust me, when you walk around with that guy's jersey on in a town other than Chicago, you catch s*** for it. So it's not like I am not a supporter of him. Instead, what happened, is Jay played poorly in the biggest game of his life and then couldn't return to the game even though he could walk around the sidelines. Ultimately, that rubbed me the wrong way.

I just wish he would give a crap about what people thought of him. I wish he would represent the organization in a better manner. I wish he would recognize he needs to be a leader, and that means doing things other than just on the field. But I guess he is who he is, and we aren't going to change that. We just have to accept it.

THIS is what you should have been hammering on the whole time. And it's justified.

He did return to the game after he had all the tests done on him and everyone thought Collins was going to take the first series. Just because you can walk doesn't mean you can play.

He doesn't have to care about what people think of him. But ultimately, because everyone doesn't like his attitude, they found something to jump on him about, and they aren't going to let go.

People aren't being fair here. You now have all in the information, showing an actual, significant injury, as well as reports about him coming back into the game even though he was told not to, and then ultimately not able to go well. It's just shocking that the facts are out there, and people won't get off it. I can understand people being super pissed off in the moment (Steve mentioned this) but now that the facts are out, you would think it'd be an easy call. Somehow it still isn't.

LOL at MJD trying to say he didn't mean it. Today's stupid social media phase has made everything a "jump to conclusions" world, and everyone's worse off for it.

BTW, for anyone questioning what Cutler was up to on the sideline as far as help/no help to the other QBs, Fox showing 3 second clips every 5 minutes doesn't really cover it. Sideline reporters who were watching this said he indeed was helping and encouraging. So put that argument to rest.

QUOTE (iamshack @ Jan 24, 2011 -> 05:51 PM)
I've been asking the same question all day. And it bothers me that I am not sure of the answer.

That's pretty pathetic. If you aren't sure of the answer, that's just you still "not liking Cutler," not actually analyzing the situation fully.

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (lostfan @ Jan 24, 2011 -> 06:04 PM)

Did you read this?

"Me personally, I'd have to have been taken off in a cart," Rivers said. "That doesn't mean I'd be right. If they knew he couldn't throw the ball good, he wasn't helping anybody ... I'll never say what he should have done. I can't even say what I would have done in the same position. I do know I'm not coming out unless I can't do anything, and maybe that's how it was (for Cutler).”

QUOTE (DrunkBomber @ Jan 24, 2011 -> 06:47 PM)
Did you read this?

I'm sure he did and it still supports the fact that Rivers defended him. Everyone's body is different. And the biggest point in that quote is that, if you're not helping your team, you're useless. Cutler was not helping the Bears playing before the injury, and I'm sure little would have changed afterwards.

QUOTE (nitetrain8601 @ Jan 24, 2011 -> 06:49 PM)
I'm sure he did and it still supports the fact that Rivers defended him. Everyone's body is different. And the biggest point in that quote is that, if you're not helping your team, you're useless. Cutler was not helping the Bears playing before the injury, and I'm sure little would have changed afterwards.

Hes basically sympathizing with him not defending him. Hes saying he would have played and it would take him getting carted off the field to come out of the game. That is not defending Jay.

Don't even care what MJD said today. He's honestly one of the my favorite players to watch play but this is a guy who sat out the last 2 games when Jacksonville was in the middle of the playoff race so that makes him a bigger p**** than Jay, right? Pot meet kettle.

QUOTE (lostfan @ Jan 24, 2011 -> 06:52 PM)
Yes I saw it. Doesn't refute the text I put before the link.

Well I dont really see how saying what I quoted is in anyway "siding" with Jay. Hes just saying he feels bad for him. Hes also saying he would have played.

QUOTE (DrunkBomber @ Jan 24, 2011 -> 06:47 PM)
Did you read this?

That's what would have bothered me most if I were a Bears fan. The guy was walking around with no discernible limp and didn't look like he was in any pain. If he was told that they were going with the backup I would have wanted to see him go nuts on the sideline telling Lovie that there's no way he's sitting this one out.

QUOTE (BigSqwert @ Jan 24, 2011 -> 07:55 PM)
That's what would have bothered me most if I were a Bears fan. The guy was walking around with no discernible limp and didn't look like he was in any pain. If he was told that they were going with the backup I would have wanted to see him go nuts on the sideline telling Lovie that there's no way he's sitting this one out.

So now we're mad at Jay because he didn't put on a show?

QUOTE (Rowand44 @ Jan 24, 2011 -> 06:55 PM)
So now we're made at Jay because he didn't put on a show?

I'm not mad at him and I didn't expect a show. I expected him to really want to play no matter what. Maybe it's that indifferent look he gives off.

Edited by BigSqwert

QUOTE (BigSqwert @ Jan 24, 2011 -> 06:55 PM)

You don't necessarily have to be in constant pain or unable to walk to be unable to play effectively.

When Urlacher's hand was messed up last year, he wasn't in constant pain. He wasn't making a scene on the sidelines. By all accounts, he looked perfectly fine standing there. But he also risked serious injury if he tried to keep playing. You can't rely on if a guy looks injured walking around on the sidelines over medical evaluations. We still have no reason to think Jay, and not the coaching staff, pulled him from the game for medical reasons.

How long did it take to leak out that Benson had pulled himself?

Jay was limping. I thought everybody could see it. Maybe he should be like Brett Favre and just go through the whole theater of letting everybody know how hurt he was (except for the part where he jumps up and down and sprints after big plays) and start screaming and wriggling in pain for the cameras. The fact that he wasn't doing any of this isn't a point against being tough, it's actually a point in favor if anything.

And I really don't want to get into a semantical argument about what Rivers did or didn't say.

QUOTE (DrunkBomber @ Jan 24, 2011 -> 06:54 PM)
Well I dont really see how saying what I quoted is in anyway "siding" with Jay. Hes just saying he feels bad for him. Hes also saying he would have played.

Wasn't he already in a similar situation, and came out of the game?

QUOTE (BigSqwert @ Jan 24, 2011 -> 06:55 PM)

I don't get this. The facts are out, there is indeed an injury. That should be all you need.

Also, apparently he doesn't like to show pain, as he's one of the toughest guys on that team (this from people who cover the team). Furthermore, it was reported that part of the reason for him standing around not in crutches or whatever (though he didn't need them), was to keep the Packers thinking he was indeed "questionable return", though we all know now that was complete BS, and the Bears could have saved him and them some respect by coming out and saying he was not coming back that game, which they knew at that time.

All fans do is talk about the s***ty o-line and how it will get him killed. And every week he has guys jumping on his head, pounding him into the ground. And he doesn't throw anyone under the bus and he gets up and keeps playing.

But now all the sudden, he's not tough? And/or he quit? OK.

Edited by IlliniKrush

QUOTE (IlliniKrush @ Jan 24, 2011 -> 07:04 PM)
Wasn't he already in a similar situation, and came out of the game?

Im not defending Rivers. That isnt an argument I have used because its a much different scenario. I was simply pointing out that it was a little misleading saying that link showed Rivers siding with Cutler. He flat out said he would play unless he was carted off the field. That isnt even close to siding with Jay.

QUOTE (DrunkBomber @ Jan 24, 2011 -> 07:07 PM)
Im not defending Rivers. That isnt an argument I have used because its a much different scenario. I was simply pointing out that it was a little misleading saying that link showed Rivers siding with Cutler. He flat out said he would play unless he was carted off the field. That isnt even close to siding with Jay.

I agree with what you are saying. I just found it hypocritical of him to say he would have played, or whatever. Because, well he didn't.

Yes I know he played the next week, but it's a bit different playing on a week's worth of preparation.

QUOTE (IlliniKrush @ Jan 24, 2011 -> 08:11 PM)
I agree with what you are saying. I just found it hypocritical of him to say he would have played, or whatever. Because, well he didn't.

Yes I know he played the next week, but it's a bit different playing on a week's worth of preparation.

The injury he sustained was also a bit different.

Again, Rivers is a class guy. He's not going to call Jay names or say what Jay should have done. What he did say, was that he would have been out there playing if he could walk. He basically says he would have done things entirely different but felt bad for Jay because he wasn't at 100%. Doesn't really side with him at all.

QUOTE (iamshack @ Jan 24, 2011 -> 07:17 PM)
The injury he sustained was also a bit different.

Again, Rivers is a class guy. He's not going to call Jay names or say what Jay should have done. What he did say, was that he would have been out there playing if he could walk. He basically says he would have done things entirely different but felt bad for Jay because he wasn't at 100%. Doesn't really side with him at all.

Rivers is a first class prick. I've never seen him called a class guy before.