Super Bowl XLV Thread

Everything considered, is there a better QB in the league right now than Aaron Rodgers? Say what you will about the talent around him, because there's a ton of it, but he can absolutely sling it with the best of them. The only Tedford QB to actually be a good QB at the next level.

• Replies 255
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (JPN366 @ Feb 7, 2011 -> 12:15 AM)
The most overrated player in the NFL. Apparently free from criticism as well. Aikman actually complimented him when he bit on the fake before Jennings caught his second TD. I say next Super Bowl, you get Pink Floyd in some incarnation, and all they need to play is one song...all 25 minutes of "Echoes."

I certainly wouldn't call him overrated...when he's 100% he's as deadly as any defensive player in the game...but yes, he was definitely invisible this game.

I'd imagine he's still not 100% from his injuries this season.

And yes, the DPOY in his hands is still a mistake.

Edit; here's an ESPN piece pointing out how useless he was.

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Feb 7, 2011 -> 12:40 AM)
Everything considered, is there a better QB in the league right now than Aaron Rodgers? Say what you will about the talent around him, because there's a ton of it, but he can absolutely sling it with the best of them. The only Tedford QB to actually be a good QB at the next level.

Which tells you a lot about the nature vs. nurture QB discussion.

QUOTE (lostfan @ Feb 6, 2011 -> 11:11 PM)
Bears fans are going to talk about how Troy and LeBeau should retire and Ben will never be a good QB again?

Don't know if you are serious or not, but Steeler's fans are just unbearably stupid for whatever reason. Hard for me to even find a few that are reasonable and actually understand the game.

QUOTE (ChiTown @ Feb 6, 2011 -> 10:36 PM)
SUPER BOWL f***ING CHAMPS!!!

Rodgers got his belt and the well deserved MVP.

I'd like to thank the Eagles for their amazing comeback vs. the Giants for us to make the playoffs, and the Bears for "letting/not trying" vs us in week 17.

What now Bears fans?

chitown aka ChWRoCk2

Ha. The guy's new moniker is "ChiTown" and he's a die-hard Packer fan.

Congrats on the win, but your being so focused on the Bears instead of the game that just happened is quite telling.

QUOTE (ChiTown @ Feb 6, 2011 -> 11:05 PM)
I was referencing my other account, which they suspended because they couldn't take the trash talk.

Bittersweet victory for me, tired of annoying Bears fans giving me s*** and being cocky all year so this was the icing on the cake how it all worked out.

Football or no football next year, were repeating next year or living with this memory two season from now.

Wow, I have no idea what Bears fans you are near, but every friend of mine was realistic and totally avoided talking trash based on the 2011 team.

I take solace knowing that you aren't actually enjoying the Packers' victory and are still obsessed with the Bears.

when will this ridiculous hyperbole about the QBs stop? do people seriously not realize that the inflation of the numbers of todays QBs (due to the NFL year after year after year tailoring the rules toward the passing game) rivlas, if not exceeds the inflation of the baseball numbers due to the steroid era??

Look, Rodgers had a damn fine performance. Hes one of the top Qbs in the league right now, if not the best. I'll grant him all that. But these ridiculous assertions about historical contexts of what he did need to stop, because its simply a different game today than it was 20, even 10 years ago.

QUOTE (daa84 @ Feb 7, 2011 -> 09:51 AM)
when will this ridiculous hyperbole about the QBs stop? do people seriously not realize that the inflation of the numbers of todays QBs (due to the NFL year after year after year tailoring the rules toward the passing game) rivlas, if not exceeds the inflation of the baseball numbers due to the steroid era??

Look, Rodgers had a damn fine performance. Hes one of the top Qbs in the league right now, if not the best. I'll grant him all that. But these ridiculous assertions about historical contexts of what he did need to stop, because its simply a different game today than it was 20, even 10 years ago.

That kind of hyperbole isn't going away any time soon.

It seems like every time a great play is made, someone's going to say "THAT MAY JUST BE THE GREATEST [GOAL/SHOT/PITCH/HIT/PLAY] I'VE EVER SEEN!!!!!"

When the Miami Heat signed James and Bosh, talk immediately started about their chances to eclipse the Bulls' 72-10 season.

It's only after the hyperbole wanes a little that some sports talkers start trying to put things in perspective at all.

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ Feb 7, 2011 -> 09:50 AM)
Wow, I have no idea what Bears fans you are near, but every friend of mine was realistic and totally avoided talking trash based on the 2011 team.

I take solace knowing that you aren't actually enjoying the Packers' victory and are still obsessed with the Bears.

I'd say about 60% of the Bears fans I know were realistic about the Bears' team this year and complimentary about the job the Packers had done.

The others were the idiots using infantile names like "the Peckers" and saying they wanted the Packers to beat the Eagles and Falcons because then it would be easy for the Bears to get to the Super Bowl.

I'm happy as hell that the Packers won the whole thing (it sure didn't seem like even a possibility about halfway through the season), but a small part of my happiness is seeing the imbeciles having to try to deal with it. Crap like "Yeah, but they still suck!!!" "If the Bears had tried at all in week 17, they wouldn't even have made the playoffs!!!" and other such nonsense does add to the satisfaction a bit. It doesn't make me obsessed, it just means getting the last laugh for this season.

QUOTE (Palehosefan @ Feb 7, 2011 -> 09:37 AM)
Don't know if you are serious or not, but Steeler's fans are just unbearably stupid for whatever reason. Hard for me to even find a few that are reasonable and actually understand the game.

I was being half-serious. The people that post here are mostly pretty smart and when someone says something dumb they get shouted down. Other unfiltered places on the internet though, yikes.

QUOTE (BigSqwert @ Feb 7, 2011 -> 02:29 PM)
I guess I meant in-game statistical records.

Really, probably a few but this wasn't a high scoring game, high powered game, average number of turnovers, average numbers of yards on both sides, no one really stood out as having dominated the game, people just made plays when they had to.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Feb 7, 2011 -> 01:44 PM)
Really, probably a few but this wasn't a high scoring game, high powered game, average number of turnovers, average numbers of yards on both sides, no one really stood out as having dominated the game, people just made plays when they had to.

I don't know if there were any based on the reasons you cited. I can't find an article that lists a single record that was broken.

QUOTE (zenryan @ Feb 6, 2011 -> 10:35 PM)
I agree.

Going to be hard to stop them in the near future.

The Packers actually have 1 thing that puts them at a lot of risk. Here is, according to ESPN, the values under contract for 2011 for various teams.

* Arizona $83 million

* Atlanta $102.1 million

* Baltimore $101.3 million

* Buffalo $96.4 million

* Carolina $73 million

* Chicago $104.9 million

* Cincinnati $90.7 million

* Cleveland $99.2 million

* Dallas $136.6 million

* Denver $125 million

* Detroit $113.8 million

* Green Bay $129.8 million

* Houston $118.4 million

* Indianapolis $115.5 million

* Jacksonville $78.1 million

* Kansas City $74.7 million

* Miami $103.1 million

* Minnesota $108.4 million

* New England $102.3 million

* New Orleans $105.2 million

* New York Giants $126.3 million

* New York Jets $128.5 million

* Oakland $85.8 million

* Philadelphia $80.8 million

* Pittsburgh $116 million

* San Diego $85.8 million

* San Francisco $100.9 million

* Seattle $81.1 million

* St. Louis $102.4 million

* Tampa Bay $59.7 million

* Tennessee $107.4 million

* Washington $115.2 million

As noted from where I stole this data, the cap in 2009 was at $130 million. If the owners succeed in forcing cap reductions on the Union, the Packers could be in a position where they have no choice but to make cuts, just in order to sign this year's draft class. Even beyond that, they're not in a position to be able to make long-term commitments right now, to add to that team or to extend guys they need to keep.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Feb 7, 2011 -> 02:35 PM)
The Packers actually have 1 thing that puts them at a lot of risk. Here is, according to ESPN, the values under contract for 2011 for various teams.

As noted from where I stole this data, the cap in 2009 was at $130 million. If the owners succeed in forcing cap reductions on the Union, the Packers could be in a position where they have no choice but to make cuts, just in order to sign this year's draft class. Even beyond that, they're not in a position to be able to make long-term commitments right now, to add to that team or to extend guys they need to keep.

Not sure where the author of that article got his info. From everything I've read, the Packers have become much more financially responsible since Thompson has taken over. They have consistently been under the cap by a large margin since Mike Sherman has been replaced as GM.

Also, if a new CBA is put into place, they may calculate the cap differently than they do now. We really won't have any clue for any teams until the terms of the CBA (if there is one) is disclosed.