Official 2011-2012 NCAA Football Thread

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Mar 8, 2011 -> 01:22 PM)
No there isnt. In fact Ken Gordon has confirmed nothing of the sort is happening.

He has flat out said on his twitter that this is something most coaches would get fired for and depending on the depth of the information he feels this might be a fireable offense for both Tressel and OSU's AD.

I just don't think that is what is going to happen in this press conference, but he has never flat out said that Tressel's job is safe.

• Replies 2.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Mar 8, 2011 -> 09:22 PM)
No there isnt. In fact Ken Gordon has confirmed nothing of the sort is happening.

Just reporting what Dennis Dodd and the rest of Twitter nation were saying.

If it did happen, highly doubtful it would happen tonight. My guess is Tressel gets suspended somehwere down the line. That's a big black eye for Ohio State either way.

EDIT: Also, Ken Gordon just took down his tweet say Tressel wasn't getting fired. Weird. Doubt it means anything still.

Edited by Buehrle>Wood

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Mar 8, 2011 -> 03:31 PM)
He has flat out said on his twitter that this is something most coaches would get fired for and depending on the depth of the information he feels this might be a fireable offense for both Tressel and OSU's AD.

I just don't think that is what is going to happen in this press conference, but he has never flat out said that Tressel's job is safe.

Based on the amount of anonymous information these guys get that are bulls***, if one slipped through the cracks it wouldnt surprise me, still not a fireable offense though, in fact the original punishment for the kids involved is still under appeal considering its harshness.

Like I said, they self report everything, so the NCAA is already all over this, before Yahoo posted anything.

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Mar 8, 2011 -> 01:41 PM)
Based on the amount of anonymous information these guys get that are bulls***, if one slipped through the cracks it wouldnt surprise me, still not a fireable offense though, in fact the original punishment for the kids involved is still under appeal considering its harshness.

Like I said, they self report everything, so the NCAA is already all over this, before Yahoo posted anything.

The program had no idea of this article and Tressel's knowledge well before the situation. They found out 30 minutes before Yahoo's article got posted. This isn't some minor news. This is a huge punishable offense for the Ohio State and I would not be surprised if both the AD and Head Coach get axed.

It is a coaches job to pass that info along, always. If he didn't tell anyone, that is a major violation. Not some small deal.

Note: I'm not saying that happens tonight, but in terms of NCAA violations, getting information and never telling anyone is about as bad as it gets from a universities perspective.

It is your job to report everything to your ethics people and let them handle and investigate. If nothing turns out, fine, if it does, than you act on it. But instead, Tressel kept his big mouth shut unitl there was a ton of smoke and by that point it was far too late and he and the OSU program will pay a hefty price.

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Mar 8, 2011 -> 03:44 PM)
The program had no idea of this article and Tressel's knowledge well before the situation. They found out 30 minutes before Yahoo's article got posted. This isn't some minor news. This is a huge punishable offense for the Ohio State and I would not be surprised if both the AD and Head Coach get axed.

It is a coaches job to pass that info along, always. If he didn't tell anyone, that is a major violation. Not some small deal.

They are aware of that policy, they have self reported over 375 violations in his tenure at OSU. You still have no idea the extent of his "notification" it could have been a bulls*** email, it could have been a voicemail to some person in his dept. You have literally no idea if its a major violation or not.

Ah i see you added another doom and gloom line. The worst thing from a Universities perspective is if the coach or the staff was a willing participant in a violation such as pay for play or setting up a kid with some illegal. This is clearly not something to that extreme, especially if it was determined that they investigated it and the players lied or there was no proof to follow up.

Edited by RockRaines

QUOTE (Buehrle>Wood @ Mar 8, 2011 -> 03:35 PM)
Just reporting what Dennis Dodd and the rest of Twitter nation were saying.

If it did happen, highly doubtful it would happen tonight. My guess is Tressel gets suspended somehwere down the line. That's a big black eye for Ohio State either way.

EDIT: Also, Ken Gordon just took down his tweet say Tressel wasn't getting fired. Weird. Doubt it means anything still.

That is an interesting change.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Mar 8, 2011 -> 03:51 PM)
That is an interesting change.

Ohio State football coach Jim Tressel has not resigned and he has not been fired. Sources in the Ohio State athletic department confirmed that for The Dispatch this afternoon.

They said that Tressel, in his 11th year as OSU's football coach, will continue in that capacity but faces a possible sanction and/or fine for committing an NCAA rules violation. That is expected to become more clear at a news conference at 7 tonight featuring OSU president E. Gordon Gee and athletic director Gene Smith, along with Tressel. Whether Tressel now might have to sit out a game or two, and/or pay a fine remains to be seen.

"We have reported a violation, a perceived violation, that we were having discussions with them (NCAA) about the best way to handle it," OSU president E. Gordon Gee told the Associated Press while at the Ohio Statehouse for the governor's state of the state address today. "We reported that immediately when we found it."

The source told ESPN.com that Ohio State began a self-inquiry in January into an item that should have been "red-flagged" by Tressel and/or others. Ohio State turned over its self-report, including recommended sanctions, to the NCAA today and it will be released by athletic director Gene Smith at Tuesday's scheduled news conference, according to the source.

Confirming OSU knew about it before Yahoo released their story.

Tressel received some emails about the fed drug trafficking case around the tattoo parlor last April. Didnt give as much thought as he should of regarding the NCAA implications of the email, the email mentioned confidentiality and he inferred he didnt want to interfere with the federal investigation per the attorney's comments. No mention of improper benefits, just that there was an ongoing drug trafficking investigation.

Once December hit he conferred with council regarding the past emails regarding criminal investigations and confidentiality and how it may have been related to the other incident and thats when they started their internal investigation.

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Mar 8, 2011 -> 06:21 PM)
Of course ESPN is running with an entirely different version, and have probably tuned out when Gee started talking about the good deeds he has done for the school.

And I am sure the version we are being force fed from you is completely unbiased...

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Mar 8, 2011 -> 06:23 PM)
And I am sure the version we are being force fed from you is completely unbiased...

I was completely typing what he said in the press conference. Take it FWIW, but thats the story.

Did you wish it was worse?