Official 2011-2012 NCAA Football Thread

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Mar 8, 2011 -> 06:29 PM)
Gordon Gee "dismissing Tressel was never on the table."

Of course not. The guy makes a BCS Bowl every year, and thus makes the school large sums of money. Unless he did something that was going to get the school the death penalty, he would never be fired. Even if he such action should at least be considered, seeing as sitting on info about potential major violations for 8 months is rather brutal. I like how he made those kids commit to coming back to school (which benefits him, not them) when it turns out he's violating the NCAA rules as well. Some integrity.

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Mar 8, 2011 -> 09:23 AM)
Now this is cheating, and not actually just rehashing a story that already has caused sanctions.

http://rivals.yahoo.com/ncaa/football/news...cr-oregon030311

So sitting on potential rules violations for 8 months isn't cheating? Isn't one of the first thing they tell a coach is to report any potential violations they are made aware of? I know you're an OSU fan deluxe, but come on. It's hard for any person not wearing scarlet and grey to look at this story and not think Tressel was trying to hide this for the sake of the 2010 season. Not to defend the kids who were guilty of violations, but I find what Tressel did a lot worse than what they did personally.

Edited by whitesoxfan101

• Replies 2.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

QUOTE (whitesoxfan101 @ Mar 8, 2011 -> 11:07 PM)
Of course not. The guy makes a BCS Bowl every year, and thus makes the school large sums of money. Unless he did something that was going to get the school the death penalty, he would never be fired. Even if he such action should at least be considered, seeing as sitting on info about potential major violations for 8 months is rather brutal. I like how he made those kids commit to coming back to school (which benefits him, not them) when it turns out he's violating the NCAA rules as well. Some integrity.

So sitting on potential rules violations for 8 months isn't cheating? Isn't one of the first thing they tell a coach is to report any potential violations they are made aware of? I know you're an OSU fan deluxe, but come on. It's hard for any person not wearing scarlet and grey to look at this story and not think Tressel was trying to hide this for the sake of the 2010 season. Not to defend the kids who were guilty of violations, but I find what Tressel did a lot worse than what they did personally.

In fact, a story I read said the word any was underlined in his contract. Tressel is another phony cheat. Now he's all dissappointed with himself. Like Pearl, the only thing he's dissappointed in is getting caught.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Mar 9, 2011 -> 06:55 AM)
In fact, a story I read said the word any was underlined in his contract. Tressel is another phony cheat. Now he's all dissappointed with himself. Like Pearl, the only thing he's dissappointed in is getting caught.

Not to mention that if reporting violations was so routine at OSU, how could he forget to report something that involved the feds? That doesn't add up. If it is so ingrained to report these things, you aren't going to drop the ball at a huge one, you drop the ball at a little one. It reeks.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Mar 9, 2011 -> 07:11 AM)
Not to mention that if reporting violations was so routine at OSU, how could he forget to report something that involved the feds? That doesn't add up. If it is so ingrained to report these things, you aren't going to drop the ball at a huge one, you drop the ball at a little one. It reeks.

This is what I don't get about what they were doing. If you commit a violation but report it yourself, nothing happens? That is what it sounds like. That is what Tressel did a few years ago when he got a private plane for Anthony Gonzalez.

QUOTE (whitesoxfan101 @ Mar 9, 2011 -> 11:07 PM)
It's the NCAA so it make take years, but I'm curious to see their final report on this whole situation. Because that press conference led to more questions than answers, and there were already a ton of questions in the first place.

No, you received your answers. The AD is afraid of the football coach. The AD is supposed to be Tressel's boss, but at Ohio State and a lot of other schools to be fair, its apparently the other way around.

I personally think the NCAA is going to come down a lot harder on this major rules infraction. The suspension for 2 games against glorified high school teams is a joke as is the fine. He'll wind up getting the money he's out with the fine back in no time. It would be at least a little defensible if this guy who included integrity as a large part in his book, would have admitted he didn't mention anything because he was scared, scared not because some drug guy was involved, not because he was afraid for his players, but because he was afraid what coming clean would have done to the Buckeyes chances at a national title in 2010. He's always come across as a classy figure. That was all a bunch of BS. He's as slimy as they come.

Edited by Dick Allen

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Mar 10, 2011 -> 05:08 AM)
No, you received your answers. The AD is afraid of the football coach. The AD is supposed to be Tressel's boss, but at Ohio State and a lot of other schools to be fair, its apparently the other way around.

I personally think the NCAA is going to come down a lot harder on this major rules infraction. The suspension for 2 games against glorified high school teams is a joke as is the fine. He'll wind up getting the money he's out with the fine back in no time. It would be at least a little defensible if this guy who included integrity as a large part in his book, would have admitted he didn't mention anything because he was scared, scared not because some drug guy was involved, not because he was afraid for his players, but because he was afraid what coming clean would have done to the Buckeyes chances at a national title in 2010. He's always come across as a classy figure. That was all a bunch of BS. He's as slimy as they come.

It is also interesting to hear that some major violations were happening at Youngstown State that Tressel missed out on after he left for the Buckeyes.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Mar 10, 2011 -> 07:18 AM)
It is also interesting to hear that some major violations were happening at Youngstown State that Tressel missed out on after he left for the Buckeyes.

Tressel the Calipari of college football?

I had Lane Kiffin pegged for that role.

QUOTE (IlliniKrush @ Mar 9, 2011 -> 11:23 PM)
Now they added this:

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/news/story?id=6199191

This is pretty crazy. Sorry Rock, at this point you can't defend this stuff just because it's your school.

I dont need to defend anything, the facts are out and opinions are all different, OSU fans are going to have a different view than Big Ten fans who would love him gone. I take his excuse at face value, am I disapointed he made the wrong decision at the time? Yes. But it doesnt dull all the good stuff he has done for years and years at the school and in the community. People make mistakes, and frankly, the whole selling memoribilia thing is still not a big deal IMO and yet that is the cornerstone of this entire issue. If this one violation makes him "slimy as they come" then so be it.

and LOL at the YSU stuff being brought up again. If anyone was alive 10 years ago you would have known about it since its been around that long. Even the main character involved in the pay for play scenario said that Tressel had nothing to do with it, yet he's still being associated with it since its great news. ESPN is crap on here one day, and and excellent source of old news the next day.

This wont play out for months, at that time we'll see what the final determination is.

"I will get on it ASAP" Or not.

All he had to do was hit "forward" on that email, and send it to his AD and/or compliance team. That should have been done automatically, without any deliberation, decision or pause. He is a former AD himself and by no means an idiot.

I like Jim Tressel, but that, my friends, is what they call a "smoking gun."

QUOTE (PlaySumFnJurny @ Mar 10, 2011 -> 09:16 AM)
"I will get on it ASAP" Or not.

All he had to do was hit "forward" on that email, and send it to his AD and/or compliance team. That should have been done automatically, without any deliberation, decision or pause. He is a former AD himself and by no means an idiot.

I like Jim Tressel, but that, my friends, is what they call a "smoking gun."

If you read all the emails, it was clear his first actions was to inform the players to stop any contact with this felon. It supports the timeline in his statement. In hindsight I think its clear that was the wrong reaction, and this is why he is being punished.

However, the exact reasons above are why alot of OSU fans think he DID inform Gene Smith, and is taking the heat for him.

Edited by RockRaines

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Mar 10, 2011 -> 09:29 AM)
If you read all the emails, it was clear his first actions was to inform the players to stop any contact with this felon. It supports the timeline in his statement. In hindsight I think its clear that was the wrong reaction, and this is why he is being punished.

However, the exact reasons above are why alot of OSU fans think he DID inform Gene Smith, and is taking the heat for him.

Dude you sound like an abused wife making excuses for your husband. We get it, OSU and Tressel can do no wrong. Now can the rest of us talk about this?

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Mar 10, 2011 -> 09:38 AM)
Dude you sound like an abused wife making excuses for your husband. We get it, OSU and Tressel can do no wrong. Now can the rest of us talk about this?

LOL. I clearly said he did something wrong even in the post you quoted. I also contributed the emails above for more accurate information not related to a story 10 years ago. Keep on keepin on buddy. I can see your next post now : "I'm really surprised to hear about this Clarett fellow"

Edited by RockRaines

Oh and FYI, its my belief they should suspend him for the entire 2011 season based on the information that has come out regarding his knowledge of the situation, in fact I would be shocked if the NCAA doesnt come to that conclusion. Maybe he was trying to protect his players in some way, but clearly he acted in the wrong and 2 game probably isnt enough for something that is pretty cut and dry related to his contract.

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Mar 10, 2011 -> 09:29 AM)

Its hard to believe he would take a fall for Smith, or that anyone would want him to or let him. Tressel is much more valuable to the university than Smith, and has been there almost twice as long.

QUOTE (PlaySumFnJurny @ Mar 10, 2011 -> 09:49 AM)
Its hard to believe he would take a fall for Smith, or that anyone would want him to or let him. Tressel is much more valuable to the university than Smith, and has been there almost twice as long.

The loose theory that I heard was based on the fact they could suspend Tressel or something to that end and it wouldnt affect the university as much as if the AD was involved. Like I said, a fan's theory. I honestly believe Smith knew as well.

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Mar 10, 2011 -> 09:51 AM)
The loose theory that I heard was based on the fact they could suspend Tressel or something to that end and it wouldnt affect the university as much as if the AD was involved. Like I said, a fan's theory. I honestly believe Smith knew as well.

Well if Smith knew, too, its probably better for the univeristy in the long run if he just cops to it now. "The cover up is always worse than the crime."

QUOTE (PlaySumFnJurny @ Mar 10, 2011 -> 09:55 AM)
Well if Smith knew, too, its probably better for the univeristy in the long run if he just cops to it now. "The cover up is always worse than the crime."

It will be interesting to see if the NCAA digs into the technical aspect of the emails to see if any of them were forwarded, or if anyone was CC'ed on them that werent disclosed. I figure the benchmark for lying to the NCAA or not disclosing something has to be a season of suspension, although alot of the other cases pending have to do with recruiting.

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Mar 10, 2011 -> 06:30 AM)
heres a link to the actual emails that Tressel received FYI.

http://www.thebuckeyeblog.com/ohio-state-ncaa/

Horrible. Ohio State really screwed up on this one. Tressel needs a much harsher suspension if not getting fired. He sat on it for 9 months and can't play the game he didn't know and the excuse that he didn't know what to do with the information is horse s***.

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Mar 10, 2011 -> 10:30 AM)
Horrible. Ohio State really screwed up on this one. Tressel needs a much harsher suspension if not getting fired. He sat on it for 9 months and can't play the game he didn't know and the excuse that he didn't know what to do with the information is horse s***.

Well, to be fair, their self imposed sanction was similar if not harsher than two recent coaches suspensions given out to bball coaches:

Connecticut basketball coach Jim Calhoun was suspended all of three games - next season! - for recruiting violations committed under his watch. Another hoops coach, Bruce Pearl of Tennessee, got an eight-game suspension for lying to NCAA investigators during a probe that remains a work in progress.

Pearl also lost $1.5 million in salary. But when it comes to games, the punishment doesn't add up.

Since basketball teams play nearly three times as many games as their football counterparts, Calhoun's suspension comes out even lighter than Tressel's. Pearl's is a little more severe. Neither is as harsh as those given the Ohio State players or Georgia's Green.

Read more: http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2011/foot...l#ixzz1GDUH0Kgj

It would be much deserved IMO if the NCAA expands the suspension to the entire season and sets a precedent on that term of punishment for coaches who withhold information. AS of right now, the swift punishment that OSU imposed on him was probably based on the weak punishments given out in prior cases to coaches. Mark Emmert and the NCAA have had several cases over the past year or so where their sanctions were questionable at best: Cam Newton, Bruce Pearl, Lane Kiffin, now OSU and Oregon. They need to set a precedent and follow it regardless of the specifics ie: the size of the school.

Edited by RockRaines

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Mar 10, 2011 -> 11:59 AM)
Well, to be fair, their self imposed sanction was similar if not harsher than two recent coaches suspensions given out to bball coaches:

It would be much deserved IMO if the NCAA expands the suspension to the entire season and sets a precedent on that term of punishment for coaches who withhold information. AS of right now, the swift punishment that OSU imposed on him was probably based on the weak punishments given out in prior cases to coaches. Mark Emmert and the NCAA have had several cases over the past year or so where their sanctions were questionable at best: Cam Newton, Bruce Pearl, Lane Kiffin, now OSU and Oregon. They need to set a precedent and follow it regardless of the specifics ie: the size of the school.

Just to clarify, the NCAA hasn't ruled on Bruce Pearl yet. They sent the letter of allegations, UT will appeal this summer, and then the NCAA will come with Pearl's punishment. So I'm not sure how you can call Pearl's sanctions "questionable at best" when they're still in the process. UT self-imposed sanctions of no off-campus recruiting/phone calls for a year for Pearl, docked his pay by 50%, and he was suspended for 8 SEC games. That's half of the SEC season. They didn't suspend him for Toledo and State Tech University. And it definitely had an effect on the team.

I enjoyed reading your post earlier about how this doesn't negate all the good things Tressel has done for OSU. I made the same argument for Pearl (which is FACT - he has done great things for the University and Knoxville community), but all I got back in response from this board was that he only did those things to make himself look better, not b/c he actually cares about other people. Guess I shouldn't be surprised with the big Illini fan base on here.

Keep in mind, I lived in Columbus for 10 years and I pull for Ohio St (unlike any other SEC fan) in football, but things do not look good for Tressel. He screwed up big time.