Official 2011-2012 NCAA Football Thread

The situation is a little different in that Tressel didn't commit the violations he lied about but i get your overall point. Like i said, the NCAA needs to set a standard of suspension for these situations and i think it begins and ends with a year term. If there is less gray area with the punishments i feel like the process with then be more black and white. As of now, there is a difference between penalties on a case by case basis which may not be the best way to ensure fairness across the board.

• Replies 2.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Mar 10, 2011 -> 12:30 PM)
The situation is a little different in that Tressel didn't commit the violations he lied about but i get your overall point. Like i said, the NCAA needs to set a standard of suspension for these situations and i think it begins and ends with a year term. If there is less gray area with the punishments i feel like the process with then be more black and white. As of now, there is a difference between penalties on a case by case basis which may not be the best way to ensure fairness across the board.

Lying about it is just as bad, imo.

The problem is Tressel had information that he should not have had. If he reported it, it may have actually messed up a federal investigation and potentially cost the attorney who disclosed it his license.

He should have never been put in the position, and once he was there he probably should have hired an attorney or at least disclosed it to a OSU attorney so that they could figure out how to handle it.

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Mar 10, 2011 -> 10:59 AM)
It would be much deserved IMO if the NCAA expands the suspension to the entire season and sets a precedent on that term of punishment for coaches who withhold information. AS of right now, the swift punishment that OSU imposed on him was probably based on the weak punishments given out in prior cases to coaches. Mark Emmert and the NCAA have had several cases over the past year or so where their sanctions were questionable at best: Cam Newton, Bruce Pearl, Lane Kiffin, now OSU and Oregon. They need to set a precedent and follow it regardless of the specifics ie: the size of the school.

If they suspended Tressel for the entire season, that'd be a more than fair punishment IMO. I honestly am not even looking for that much, just more than 2 games against MAC teams.

QUOTE (whitesoxfan101 @ Mar 10, 2011 -> 09:42 PM)
If they suspended Tressel for the entire season, that'd be a more than fair punishment IMO. I honestly am not even looking for that much, just more than 2 games against MAC teams.

It should be longer than the suspension the players received. It makes little sense its not.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Mar 11, 2011 -> 07:04 AM)
It should be longer than the suspension the players received. It makes little sense its not.

I agree. I was thinking 6 to 9 games seems about right. The entire season would be quite sufficient IMO since he wasn't fired.

QUOTE (Heads22 @ Mar 11, 2011 -> 05:42 PM)
I miss college football.

Me too. And i'm beyond thankful to know their games will be played this fall.

Edited by whitesoxfan101

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Mar 17, 2011 -> 09:30 PM)
Voluntarily. I would think they would actually like that to be in the news.

Then they need new PR and SI people. Ones who know better than to break this on an absolutely HUGE sports day that also coincides with a drunk fest.

You want it in the news but you don't want it to be a top story. The more people talk about Tressel committing violations, the worse it is for OSU, no matter what the reason is. Releasing it during the NCAA tourney gets it in the news, but lets it quickly slip onto the back page. That way, you can start getting back to talking football, and not violations.

It's a good thing that Tressel "voluntarily" took the extra 3 games, but you don't want his breaking of the rules in the 1st place to stay all over the headlines.

Voluntarily, as in hoping that will satisfy everyone.

QUOTE (PlaySumFnJurny @ Mar 21, 2011 -> 01:54 PM)
Michael Floyd arrested for driving while blind.

http://www.chicagobreakingsports.com/2011/...dui-charge.html

He should have stuck to pot like Kyle McAlarney and Mike Ragone. The domers don't seem to mind that too much.

Yeah, because McAlarney missing as season of basketball and getting tossed out of school for a semester wasn't a harsh punishment in the first place.

Please.

If this happened at any other school, let's say a Florida for example, Floyd would probably miss a game against Coastal Carolina. Whereas, I'll be shocked if he gets to see the field this year. Rashon Powers Neal got a DUI a few years back and was gone for the season so there's precedent.

Now I will say Kelly's regime may have a different disciplinary style, but like I said the precedent is there and the powers that be at the school on the adminstration side remain the same.

/selfishly hoping Floyd survives this and gets to play at some point this year

/whoops schedule is frontloaded, oh crap, nd is screwed because there's no way he doesn't miss the start of the season